Weird Noise

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem solved :D

I changed the harmonic balancer and front seal today and there is no more noise. Couple things I'd like to point out. To get the old balancer off you will need a puller. I borrowed a friends but saw one at Autozone for $17.00. To get the front seal back in correctly without bending it to pieces,(don't ask how I know) you will need a large washer. Use the bolt that goes thru the middle of the balancer and use the washer that has a larger diameter than the seal to walk it back in without causing problems. To walk the balancer back on to the crank you will need a longer bolt than the one that is already there. I went to Lowe's and the size I bought was 1/2-20 2" Grade 5. I didn't measure the length of the original bolt that holds the balancer on but it's probably 1 1/2". Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Also the head is either 19 mm or 3/4". After I'd spent 4 hours today messing around and running around and buying a new seal, larger washer, and longer bolt it took me exactly 8 minutes to put it all back together. Figure if you have the correct tools, puller, larger diameter washer, and longer bolt ready to go you can basically get ths job done in less than 1/2 hour. Once again thanks for everybody's help on this one :cheers:

Now that you got 'er done I just remembered how I used to loosen the balancer bolt w/o wedging something up in the flywheel to keep the engine from turning over. Sometimes they can be a bear. You get the right socket on the balancer bolt head hooked to a breaker bar, wedge the bar against the frame, pull the coil wire, and bump the starter. The bolt backs right out. :cheers:

Chico-man, can you post a pic of the old deteriorated harmonic balanced you replaced?

I just put an open end wrench on the bolt and used another one to make it longer. Gave it a "twack" and the extra torque was enough to back the bolt off without the pulley moving.

I can take a pic of the balancer but just sitting there it looks perfectly fine.

When you press down on the outer rim you notice how it doesn't stay flush with the rest of the balancer.

Autozone and Advance loan out harmonic balancer pullers. Basically you pay purchase price for a deposit and get it refunded when you return it. They do that for a lot of tools most people won't need very often.

Glad you got her fixed. You gonna join us at badlands in 2 weeks now? ;)

Autozone and Advance loan out harmonic balancer pullers. Basically you pay purchase price for a deposit and get it refunded when you return it. They do that for a lot of tools most people won't need very often.

Glad you got her fixed. You gonna join us at badlands in 2 weeks now? ;)

Still can't. Shop is still for sale. Actually I have an interview for a sales job in 9 days so my schedule is about to get busier. If the shop doesn't sell soon (like within the next 6 months) I'll have to file bankruptcy. Hopefully the plan is, Get this job, sell the shop, then I'll actually have weekends off and I'll be able to meet up with you guys.