I am at a loss of words

WTF happened here? I don't know too much about mechanics yet, but I am learning, but as I was driving down the road I heard some clanking and when i almost go to a stop a few miles down the road (brakes pads are lose, just thought it was them) i looked out my window and watched as my front right tire just stopped and cocked to the left and wouldn't move again. When i got out this is what i saw to my rim :rant: :

Any ideas to what could have happened?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm. looks like 4wd so..

the wheel locked up because that is your front end. with all 5 studs bent as they are (you WILL have to have them all replaced), and all of the nuts loose, my bet is that the disc brake C#*@-eyed itself and burned itself into the caliper or such like that.

so basically, your brakes are locked, and it is NOT gonna be fun to remove the disc...the wheel studs will have to come out first. the disc and brake pads are junk at the very least.

the wheel bearing/hub assembly could be bad from all of the wobbling, but you will not be rebuilding it . you will have to replace it if it does prove to be junk. (if it is 2wd the hub and rotor are one piece, which ride on a spindle with packed and replaceable bearings)

now's a good time to do U-joints too if it is 4wd

If its a 2wd, you shouldn't see rust in there and IIRC the 2wd front axles run with a castle nut instead of the keeper nut thing that is pictured in your pic.

If it is a 2wd, The wheel bearing should all be covered up with a dust cap and packed full with grease. This might be your problem. Wheel bearings don't like to be run dry.

I side with Pat in saying it "looks" like it is a 4wd front axle though. Maybe someone else swapped it in and never finished the complete swap. When you look under the truck do you see a differential?

Also, Please don't plan to re-use that wheel. It is by far nowhere safe to put back on the road.

This is what a 4wd front axle will look like:

n6603948_31199819_8037.jpg

Ok, I am really trying to be sincere with helping ya so please don't take it any other way.

Its a big difference though if you have a 2wd front axle or a 4wd one. Find that out first and then look into the proper fix for it.

well i wish, i still don't have enough for the tranny, transfer case and the lift

You can swap in a 4WD front axle without having to connect it to a transfer case. That's what I plan to do with a 2WD MJ I have sitting in the yard. I want to get the axle swapped ASAP, but I can drive it as a 2WD until I collect the parts and have tome to do the drive train conversion.

Just be sure it has gear lube in it, and drive it. (But check the hubs to be sure you don't do an instant replay.)

i know ya are, its just i have had problems with it since i bought it (didnt run the day i did buy it) and i takin any advice i can about it

That's a 2WD w/o the dust cap. Because there was no cap, the elements got to your wheel bearings and they seized w. no grease. You're going to need a new knuckle because the spindle is most likely shot, rotor, bearings, and probably brake caliper too, at a minimum. Best to get these at your local pick-and-pull, any 2WD XJ or MJ will work.

Sorry to jack the thread. Where can I buy new hub covers? I don't have them and neither do any of the ten XJs at the junkyard. My rig is 2wd if it makes a difference. Just the dust caps are all I am asking about. :chillin:

Sorry to jack the thread. Where can I buy new hub covers? I don't have them and neither do any of the ten XJs at the junkyard. My rig is 2wd if it makes a difference. Just the dust caps are all I am asking about. :chillin:

You should be able to get them cheaply at any qwuto parts store...or PM Brent :brows:

I've got a couple you can have for postage. Shoot me a PM if you want them.

Ok, I am really trying to be sincere with helping ya so please don't take it any other way.

Its a big difference though if you have a 2wd front axle or a 4wd one. Find that out first and then look into the proper fix for it.

he has an early series 2wd front axle beam, or a newer series front axle beam.

these beams use a 4wd hub with 4wd brakes, BUT instead of an axleshaft, they have a stub shaft in them. without that stub shaft, the wheel bearing would fall apart and you'd lose the wheel and it could kill you (similarly, this is why you NEVER drive a 4wd jeep without the axleshaft installed).

he has an early series 2wd front axle beam, or a newer series front axle beam.

these beams use a 4wd hub with 4wd brakes, BUT instead of an axleshaft, they have a stub shaft in them. without that stub shaft, the wheel bearing would fall apart and you'd lose the wheel and it could kill you (similarly, this is why you NEVER drive a 4wd jeep without the axleshaft installed).

That is a 2wd hub set-up just like JeepcoMJ stated.

It is the prefered hub set-up for the guys who race JeepSpeed.