I am at a loss of words

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is probably locked up due to the one wheel stud that is missing. Wedged btwn the hub halves.

That stud broke off while going down the road

Umm, well half of it fell off when it broke. Where did the inner half go?

thats would be a good question my friend

Ok, I am really trying to be sincere with helping ya so please don't take it any other way.

Its a big difference though if you have a 2wd front axle or a 4wd one. Find that out first and then look into the proper fix for it.

he has an early series 2wd front axle beam, or a newer series front axle beam.

these beams use a 4wd hub with 4wd brakes, BUT instead of an axleshaft, they have a stub shaft in them. without that stub shaft, the wheel bearing would fall apart and you'd lose the wheel and it could kill you (similarly, this is why you NEVER drive a 4wd jeep without the axleshaft installed).

Learn something new everyday :thumbsup: I thought that this setup looked different than the one on my 2wd '90 frontend...

Ok, I am really trying to be sincere with helping ya so please don't take it any other way.

Its a big difference though if you have a 2wd front axle or a 4wd one. Find that out first and then look into the proper fix for it.

he has an early series 2wd front axle beam, or a newer series front axle beam.

these beams use a 4wd hub with 4wd brakes, BUT instead of an axleshaft, they have a stub shaft in them. without that stub shaft, the wheel bearing would fall apart and you'd lose the wheel and it could kill you (similarly, this is why you NEVER drive a 4wd jeep without the axleshaft installed).

Drove mine for close to 800 miles w/o an axle shaft. :nuts:

Drove mine for close to 800 miles w/o an axle shaft. :nuts:

and you are extremely lucky that you didn't die, or kill someone else.

the outer shaft end installed in the hub, keeps the hub together. under extreme side-load, or high speeds, it can come apart and you can lose a tire.

many wheelers have made the mistake of not installing the stub end of the shaft after breaking their shaft on the trails, and quite a few have wrecked their jeeps or worse.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok guys, i got her fixed and she runnin great. what had happened, was the stud that was missing, lodged itself into the hub and thats what locked the wheel up. I have a new hub, new studs, and new lugs.

:cheers:

Now all i need is a rim

Yea, I had a visitor when I got it back, and the Comanche reppin' Dr.Pepper jamminz.gif . Will have pic of the hub later today

About 5 years ago my buddy with an '88 sitting on 33x12.50's had an issue where it would make a grinding sound when he would put power to the jeep. We decided we'de stick it in 4 high and baby it home (about 5 miles). On the way there we discovered where the grinding was coming from. It was thought he had stripped either the ring or pinion. He was doing about 25mph and started swerving from left to right because he said it was feeling "funny". Right infront of our local tire shop the hub came of the right rear axle shaft. It drifted off the truck with tire and all (taking his bushwacker flare with it) hit a curb flew over the top of a late model Camaro, and left some sweet a$$ BFG MT marks on their side door. Very similar to your incident. We were very fortunate it landed where it did.

Dave

Rule of thumb. Never pay more for wheels than you did for the whole truck :D

Just got a Ford style rim that fit for $25 :D . Just gotta find a full matching set now. Any ideas that are within reason for me?

The backspacing on Ford rims is different. Don't buy any more unless you're sure that's what you want. Used steel Jeep rims are cheap -- if you were closer, I've got a yard full of them, looking for homes.

Also, if your Ford rim is from a Ranger, look at it very carefully. I think Ranger rims have a smaller center hole than Jeep rims. If that's correct, your new rim probably isn't fully seated on the hub and you're on your way to an instant replay of what happened before.

Rule of thumb. Never pay more for wheels than you did for the whole truck :D

Just got a Ford style rim that fit for $25 :D . Just gotta find a full matching set now. Any ideas that are within reason for me?

The backspacing on Ford rims is different. Don't buy any more unless you're sure that's what you want. Used steel Jeep rims are cheap -- if you were closer, I've got a yard full of them, looking for homes.

Also, if your Ford rim is from a Ranger, look at it very carefully. I think Ranger rims have a smaller center hole than Jeep rims. If that's correct, your new rim probably isn't fully seated on the hub and you're on your way to an instant replay of what happened before.

This is what I picked up

so does he need to get dust covers still

Thats not what locked it up though. The broken stud u can see in the origional post, the back part of it fell through and lodged itself between the stationary parts and the rotating parts causing that wheel to lock

so does he need to get dust covers still

no. on that style of 2wd front beam, there are no dust covers.

bookspan, get the rim off a.s.a.p. and either widen out that hole, or replace the rims...those aren't setting flush on your hub, and will wobble off and definitely cause HUGE issues.

This is what I picked up

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I was warning you about. The center hole on the wheel is smaller than the center of the hub, so the "wheel mating surface" on the wheel is not seating against the flange of the hub. If you drive it like that, you will have exactly the same problem you had before. Either grind out that center hole or (preferebly) find a Jeep wheel.

Pretty lug nuts though. :D Get some dust caps too!

BRAND spankin' new. So now I get to take ANOUTHER trip to the jy tomorrow...hopefully they will have something to fit right, even though i not gonna hear the end of it about this one though :headpop: