recommendations

Do you have to run them?

Man......every time I read this.......I'm reminded of This.

aemsee - Here's a little budget saver for the disco.

I'm sure you could fab up some for your self, I've seen a couple of disco setups, and it looks like the company's used 1/2" emt (electrical metallic tubbing) for the disco's :roll:

Do you have to run them?

Man......every time I read this.......I'm reminded of This.

I had a bunch of stuff typed out, but I don't want to get in to it here.

Let's just agree to disagree.

That being said, I have some JKS disco's that I took off the TJ that I will probably run on the MJ.

I don't even have a sway bar what so ever. But then again I don't drive the MJ more than a couple miles from my house to the wheelin spot. And I don't ever go over 45mph. My gearing just doesn't like it.

This truck will stay mainly a road vehicle. With my wife driving it as well as myself. Wouldn't consider going without a sway bar. But it isn't needed (for now) as a DD, so I have the luxury of putting in the springs and playing around with the links.

I had a bunch of stuff typed out, but I don't want to get in to it here.

Let's just agree to disagree.

That being said, I have some JKS disco's that I took off the TJ that I will probably run on the MJ.

I had an 01 TJ that started to veer all over the highway. When I checked the front end a link was broken. They really DO something under there, there's no debate.

The original poster should look on jeepsunlimited.com. The TJ's had the same links as the MJ, and people are always selling them and their suspensions cheap when they do mods.

The front sway bar is critically important for safety on pavement. Even at stock height, an XJ or MJ is scary top-heavy in an emergency evasive maneuver. You think everything is fine as long as nothing goes wrong and you just motor along in a straight line, but try to swerve to miss an animal or a child, and you're on your roof.

Leaving off the sway bar links is NOT the place to scrimp on $$$

The front sway bar is critically important for safety on pavement. Even at stock height, an XJ or MJ is scary top-heavy in an emergency evasive maneuver. You think everything is fine as long as nothing goes wrong and you just motor along in a straight line, but try to swerve to miss an animal or a child, and you're on your roof.

Leaving off the sway bar links is NOT the place to scrimp on $$$

I have a mini camper, so the C/G on my rig is a bit higher than stock.

With all the Baja bashing I do, I've had my sway bar disconnect itself twice. Bolts just vibrate out.

Each time, the handling turned so scary, that I had to stop and figure out a temporary fix. For my purposes, I can't imagine running without a swaybar.

i ran my '92 xj ltd with no sb's for about 6 months -around town and in the bush was fine ---out on the highway it was TOTALLY UNSAFE. freeway speeds changed everything - the side to side rocking was unbelievable.

personally my feelings, if you have the sway bar use it. in the past my xj didn't and you would never notice a difference.

now the jeeps unlimited thread.

60+ mph in any suv in an emergency manuver is gonna get you to roll over, especially if you truck is lifted. i can talk from expiriance since i have rolled a vehicle before, and it was a car going about 70-80 not an suv. most suv's will roll at anything over 35mph STOCK, so his lifted xj rolled not because of no swaybar (99.9% positive because i wasn't there, and speed and brakes play the biggest part in losing control of the vehicle)

but because he tried to swerve to avoid an accident when he should have hit them head on.

now the jeeps unlimited thread.

60+ mph in any suv in an emergency manuver is gonna get you to roll over, especially if you truck is lifted. i can talk from expiriance since i have rolled a vehicle before, and it was a car going about 70-80 not an suv. most suv's will roll at anything over 35mph STOCK, so his lifted xj rolled not because of no swaybar (99.9% positive because i wasn't there, and speed and brakes play the biggest part in losing control of the vehicle)

but because he tried to swerve to avoid an accident when he should have hit them head on.

This is why I long ago stopped looking at Jeeps Unlimited. This is a CHOICE bit of advice from a real expert:

Do NOT swerve to try to avoid accidents. It's always better to hit an oncoming vehicle head-on."

FWIW, I have put a 2000 XJ Classic (in stock trim) into a four wheel power slide at 60 MPH, in order to avoid a moron who came up a freeway on ramp and chose to dart right out into traffic rather than use the acceleration/merge lane. It did not roll over, and it was completely controllable. The front sway bar was connected. I doubt very much I would have survived if the sway bar had NOT been connected.

As far as I am conserned, I wouldn't run on the road without them, it is not smart. But Its your life, do with it as you will...

Back on tpoic... I once cut a factory set and sleeved it with a piece of steel tubing and re-welded it back together.

You could do it just that easy. If you don't have access to a welder, I'll be happy to make you up a set. Send me the measurements and the factory discos, I'll get the tubing and weld them up 4U. :cheers:

CW