Soooo, I want to make removable doors on my mj but can't decide the cheapest or easiest way to go about it. So I was just looking for some good opinions on how you have done it or how you have seen it done. I don't care how pretty it looks as long as its functional and want just brake off when it gets a load on it. Also if anyone has pics of what there hinges or doors look like so i have a pic to go off of i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Cole

i have heard this one before but didnt know how it would do so. Do you have any pics? that might help but i know what your talking about i just want to make sure I do it right. :D

i just did this to my half doors tonite an i will post some pics tomorrow for ya.

• 1 month later...

i have 2 87 mj's and i was going to use the doors on the parts truck as half doors on the other, i was going to take off the doors but it is a b*@$£ of an angle to get to the t45 bolts that hold the hinge on the door and i ended up striping them out. how did you guys get the doors off in the first place? is there a special trick to it? i tried to cut through just the pin that goes through all three pieces but it proved to be pain to get through with an airsaw and a sawsall, i may have been using the wrong blades though. does cutting off the bottom hinge part weakin the hinge at all?

thanks,

Jonathan

i was going to take off the doors but it is a @#$% of an angle to get to the t45 bolts that hold the hinge on the door and i ended up striping them out. how did you guys get the doors off in the first place? is there a special trick to it?

I striped the heads out of the torx bolts trying to get mine out. I’m interested in hearing how other people got there doors off too

Look at pic above see the the two holes in the hinges opposite bolts, with the door shut and fenders off thats how I broke mine loose. Then open door unscrew rest of the way. Not sure if it the correct way but it worked for me. (I already had my fenders off too that helped a little) I will be replacing the factory bolts with reg. Hex heads.

Since you stripped the bolts you can use a cut off wheel of some sort and cut the bottom piece off but its tight I did this on the passenger side. of bit the hell out of the hinge pins to remove them. I used PB blaster for three days then removed them. You shouldnt have to remove the bolts at all then cause if you do take out the bolts you have to realign everything which can be a pain. The best option is to be the hinge pins out and go from there.

Cole

• 2 weeks later...

wondering if anyone that has messed with their doors could answer something, how did you get the door hinge seperated from the hinge attached to the cab, the pin that goes through it doesnt seam like it will slip out when hit with a hammer and something to push on it. where you able to cut the pin? i tried to cut it with a hacksaw but it is too tough, anyone got any ideas?

thanks,

Jonathan

I had to remove the hinge from the door and then cut the pin in half with a die grinder. On the other side i beat it like no other and it finally slipped out. I also used PB blaster to eat away some of the rust on the side i beat out.

Cole

• 10 months later...

my friend wants the doors off his cherokee and was wondering if this same system works. its the same hinge on front and rear doors. also wondering about how long with using a grinder and if pin will slide out easy or have to be assisted a little. thanks

Well from what i have heard on some there is a Diff in the XJ but don't hold me to that. If he takes a look you can easily tell. Yeah they are hard to get out on most cause of rust and such over the years. Your best bet is to also replace the $.50 pins for smoother operation. They need to be lubed everytime you take them off so that the hinge stays nice and slippery when you go to remove them. Hope this helps you some.

Cole

I cut my door star bolts off with grinder. or whatever you can make work, then cut bottom portion on hinge and hammered up on pin till came out. then slid my tube doors on. Then pick up some junk doors with good hinges and cut those the same and bolted those to my doors so I had my doors ready to be put back on, now that I want to, rather move some place warm and keep tube doors on. jamminz.gif