Tuning a Comanche

I was once read somewhere that if you replace the injectors in a 89 Comanche to replace them with Mustang injectors. Is this true? Is there any performance mods that can be done on an 89 that doesn't suck the gas away? See I have alot of questions about these because when I 1st started looking for a MJ I told myself that it had to be a 91 or 92. Well as my seach continued the ones I found weren't in any better shape, but they were quite a bie more, so I found this red one 50 mile from home for a good price so I jumped on it. Again any information or mod tips are greatlt appreciated. Thanks

Check this out. Use the JEEP discount code for 10% off (thanks to one of our members).

I believe they are Ford 4.6 injectors. They have a better spray pattern than the 20 years old ones we use, but the same flow rate. Most everybody has reported smoother idle, some have reported easier starts, better fuel economy (on the order of 15% or so!) and more power.

I myself have yet to do it, but the only reason I haven't yet is because pretty much all of my money so far has been going into fixing my Jeep. I guess that's what I get for buying a wrecked and neglected truck for $400. As soon as I have the money I'm getting them. If I safe any fuel, I guess I'll call it an investment, but I'm not holding my breath as I'm already getting 22mpg highway with the 4.0

Yeah....the injectors from Precision are great. I saw a 14% increase in MPG as well as better idle and accleration. If you surf eBay, you will see them on there too, but be careful as he does not honor the ' JEEP ' discount code for eBay purchases...only through the website.

Performance mods are just that...for performance...so they will take more gas. You can do a couple small things like a free flowing intake & exhaust, but you are not going to see a big difference in performance or MPG with those. A 4.0L performing at it's best will do 17-18 around town and in the low 20's hwy and it just doesn't get any better no matter how much money you throw at it ;) . Mine was only getting about 15 MPG prior to doing the injectors, so it was money well invested for me as they paid for themselves in about 3 tanks of gas :D .

I have them too!! I noticed smoother idle, slightly faster start-up, increased mileage and more/smoother power.

The only drawback and its minor I am getting a slight rumble when I let off the gas. Like before you down shift and compression braking is working. Didn't do it before the swap. It doesn't hurt anything and is easily ignore with a slight turn of the volume know. :D

Good easy mod!!

CW

That is kind of what I have been thinking. 31x10.50, 3" lift. My truck is missing the whole plastic part behind the seat and one of the interior light is missing the lends. Any ideas where I can find one. Yo don't see any in junk yards and I have yet to find any cherkee's with the interior lights like these.. Thanks again

That is kind of what I have been thinking. 31x10.50, 3" lift. My truck is missing the whole plastic part behind the seat and one of the interior light is missing the lends. Any ideas where I can find one. Yo don't see any in junk yards and I have yet to find any cherkee's with the interior lights like these.. Thanks again
:hmm: I think you may have replied in the wrong place. We are talking about engine/performance mods & fuel injectors here... ;)

More info w/part numbers can be found here:

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/injectors.html

Not to sound rude here lead, but isn't it kind of odd that that tech article is exactly the same as on Dino's page. I think you could at least take off the false "Copyright © Great Lakes XJ " because it is clearly not original to the site. Now, if you can prove otherwise I would gladly take back my words. :brows:

Dino's page for comparison;

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

More info w/part numbers can be found here:

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/injectors.html

Not to sound rude here lead, but isn't it kind of odd that that tech article is exactly the same as on Dino's page. I think you could at least take off the false "Copyright © Great Lakes XJ " because it is clearly not original to the site. Now, if you can prove otherwise I would gladly take back my words. :brows:

Dino's page for comparison;

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

Dino has had that data available to the XJ community for years. Aside from being illegal, it's intellectually dishonest and morally unacceptable to be claiming a copyright on something lifted from someone else's web site. Instead of the Great Lakes copyright, it should be properly attributed to Dino.

IF, that is, he has given Great Lakes permission to reproduce it. He probably wouldn't object, but I'm sure he would want it correctly attributed to him since he has spent a lot of time and effort compiling his technical information.

Great Lakes XJ also has major copyright infringment issues with the Factory Service and Parts catalogs/manuals he has posted in the tech section for download on his site.

I'm sure Chrysler didn't give him permission to duplicate or reproduce any of the catalogs/manuals. :nuts:

I'm sure there are more copyright issues on the site.

Actually the info falls under Public Domain. The underlying idea that is expressed or manifested in the creation of a work generally cannot be the subject of copyright law. Collections of data are generally not copyrightable. If information is not copyrighted prior to release to the public it immediately becomes public domain.

But lets say it was copyrighted (which is done threw the US copyright office and cost $$ to acquire). All copyrights have always had a finite term, though the terms for copyrights and patents differ. When terms expire, the work or invention is released into public domain.

Under public domain information can be reproduced but can not be sold for a profit. If you sell the information for a profit you are bound by other legal terms to the original creator.

In reference to the injector page on GLXJ, actually Dino is noted in the page source.

© GLXJ (www.GreatLakesXJ.com)

Author: Rosem Design Studio

Original Info: Dino Savva

URL: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/injectors.html

Reproduced under the US Public Domain Act

Even though the page is 120% legal I will have it changed to please you yahoo's and give credit to Dino publicly. Even though Dino didn't "create" anything...

As far as the FSM, they actually are no longer in valid copyright (it expired) and as stated above, once the copyright expires it falls into Public Domain.

On that note, I'd be glad to pull the tech page on GLXJ. But with over 100,000 hits a month to that page directly and it being 120% legal with ALL the info provided on it I'd really hate to take away such a good tool to fellow Jeepers across the world.

But I'm sure you all knew this before you accused me of everything... :roll:

Back on topic:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

I see there is a difference in the part number here with the addition of the extra B in the last portion. Will these still work? I have a buddy that works there, and if these will be a direct bolt in, I am all over them.

I didn't see FMS-M9593-B302 listed on the Summit site.

Yes, back to topic please. :chillin:

I am wondering, did any of you who have already swapped in these injectors have to change the electrical connectors or anything else for that matter? Is it a direct bolt and plug? What part numbers have you used, my truck is an 88 with the 4.0L. Thanks!

I am wondering, did any of you who have already swapped in these injectors have to change the electrical connectors or anything else for that matter? Is it a direct bolt and plug? What part numbers have you used, my truck is an 88 with the 4.0L. Thanks!

Plug n play. You might want to have extra o-rings around in case any of the ones they send you are deffective (one was on mine ) and orings for where the fuel rail goes into the lines. Mine started leaking with all the moving around.

Edit: And I really wish you guys would quit fighting. It's getting old quick.

Back on topic:

I see there is a difference in the part number here with the addition of the extra B in the last portion. Will these still work? I have a buddy that works there, and if these will be a direct bolt in, I am all over them.

$299.95 each, so for a set that would be $1799.70...

I'd go with the reman ones from precision.

This is the link directly to the page for the ones you need. It's the same ones that I installed in my '88 4.0L and also in my '95 YJ 4.0L... http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/p ... roductId=7

Very easy job, nothing else to be changed, but you just need to be careful with the little retainer wires in the electrical plugs as they can be a bit of a PITA. It also helps (when putting the new ones in) to put a VERY small amount of grease on the orings before trying to push them in. Be very careful so you so not get the grease on the inlet end of the injector as it will clog it if it get's inside.

Back on topic:

No...those will not work. They are a high flow injector and will run WAY to rich. The wire connection looks to be right, but it's rated at 30lb flow and our injectors are 19lb ;) .

So are the 30lb injectors only for the strokers?

30# injectors are too much for most 4.0L aspirated strokers too, although someone might be doing it. Even the Hesco 4.9L stroker runs 24# injectors, although at a higher pressure.