Tuning a Comanche

So are the 30lb injectors only for the strokers?

30# injectors are too much for most 4.0L aspirated strokers too, although someone might be doing it. Even the Hesco 4.9L stroker runs 24# injectors, although at a higher pressure.

Exactly...I am not real sure that there is a use for a 30# injector in a 4.0L engine. Those are for the Fords with the well built V-8 racing motors.

Anyone have experience with the Python Venom injectors?

I can get a set of 6 for ~$170, so I may go that route.

Part # 648-263

Have not heard of them, but I am curious as to why you seem to be avoiding the Precision injectors when they could save you a fair amount of money and they come with a lifetime warranty? :dunno:

Have not heard of them, but I am curious as to why you seem to be avoiding the Precision injectors when they could save you a fair amount of money and they come with a lifetime warranty? :dunno:

I work at 4WD Hardware. I just have to walk to the showroom to get these. The $170 is the showroom cost, and I pay much lower for them....actually lower than the ones on Precision :brows:

I work at 4WD Hardware. I just have to walk to the showroom to get these. The $170 is the showroom cost, and I pay much lower for them....actually lower than the ones on Precision :brows:

:beerhead: AHHHH.... I knew there had to be a good reason :D

• 4 weeks later...

Blow off the area surrounding the injectors. Otherwise that junk will end up in your engine when you remove the old ones.

Mark the numbers of the injector wires.

Have a small "pick" tool handy for the wire clip that holds the electrical connection to the injector.

The same pic or an 90 degree angled pick is also handy to get the clips off the fuel rail.

I LOVE one of those magnetic parts tray for this job. Keeps you from loosing all the little clips and pins!!!

Good luck, Its not a hard job and should be able to finish it with in a couple hours your first time. I did both my neighbors in about a hour with a Lil beer break in between. :roll: :D

CW

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of good links, but none seem to be a direct fit for me. I've got a 1986 MJ with a 2.5L renix injection. Which one of these injectors might work with it...? Any ideas?

Renix 4.0's used an MPI set-up, so these mods will work. I've got the same set-up as you: Renix 2.5's used TBI - just one injector located in the throttle body (here's what ours looks like: 86-90 2.5. The 2.5 didn't switch to MPI until '91.

As far as I know, our options are limited. I believe Python still carries an injector for ours, but I don't know how much of an upgrade it is over stock/OEM. I've also heard of some people who have upgraded to a system from Clifford's Performance, but it involves headers, new intake manifold, a whole new TBI set-up, and costs upwards of $2-$3K. For that kind of money, you're probably just better off swapping to a +'91 2.5 or a 4.0.

IMO, the best bang for the buck on a Renix 2.5 is to simply open up the exhaust and ditch the mechanical cooling fan for an electric one.

IMO, the best bang for the buck on a Renix 2.5 is to simply open up the exhaust and ditch the mechanical cooling fan for an electric one.

Sounds like a reasonable plan indeed... I'll propably go ahead with increasing air-flow (intake/exhaust) to maximize what the current renix system can do...

Already removed the air con and have been thinking about ditching that mechanical fan too, your comment only strenghtens that idea. Thanks mate.