93 2Dr XJ

SuperWade2

I'm going to go look at one on Monday to see if it would work for a parts truck... It has a blown head and the guy said it's been sitting in his work parking lot for a few months. Sounds pretty complete (other than a toast engine). It's white, so I was thinking if the front fender/front clip are nice and the seats/console were decent that it might be worth to get for parts. I'd probably just part the thing and then scrap the rest since it won't pass smog and licensing would be impossible in Cali...

thoughts? (Would the 93 Front Body Parts work on my 89 MJ?)

SW2

put an engine in it and sell it. its nice :eek:

Cept I want the Buckets, Front Clip and Fender for my MJ... Not sure what Engine/Tranny, etc it has, but for $400-$500 I may not care...I could get $100 for the Wheels and Tires, part out everything else out and probably still be able to sell to the local PnP for a profit... I think the guy just wants it gone!

Sw2

Those wheels might be Wrangler Canyons, which would be 15x8, but they are more likely ZJ Canyons, which are 15x7. Nice wheels, though.

The front clip will go right onto your 89, but you must use the entire header, grille and headlight bezels together with the header. Jeep changed it in 1990 -- the older grille and headlight doors won't work with the new header, and the new grille and headlight bezels won't work with the old header.

There is no "cladding" on the front fenders. That's a rubber rub strip about 2-1/2" wide that's held on with double-stick tape, and matte black paint from the rub strip down. No problem moving the fenders over to the MJ.

Those wheels might be Wrangler Canyons, which would be 15x8, but they are more likely ZJ Canyons, which are 15x7. Nice wheels, though.

The front clip will go right onto your 89, but you must use the entire header, grille and headlight bezels together with the header. Jeep changed it in 1990 -- the older grille and headlight doors won't work with the new header, and the new grille and headlight bezels won't work with the old header.

There is no "cladding" on the front fenders. That's a rubber rub strip about 2-1/2" wide that's held on with double-stick tape, and matte black paint from the rub strip down. No problem moving the fenders over to the MJ.

Thanks Eagle... in the exchange of emails he said they were recently added "Wrangler" rims, which leads me to believe more likely 15x8

Jeep changed it in 1990 -- the older grille and headlight doors won't work with the new header, and the new grille and headlight bezels won't work with the old header.

Just to be clear, it was changed for the '91 model year (which did start production in '90).

Thanks Eagle... in the exchange of emails he said they were recently added "Wrangler" rims, which leads me to believe more likely 15x8

To confirm:

Those are wrangler canyons, NOT ZJ canyons.

The wrangler canyons are very similar to the TJ Ravines.

So I'm still going to see this thing tomorrow at lunch... after another email from the guy I found out that it's not currently registered and I'm not sure if the guy who is selling it has a title, at least one in his name (since it wasn't running when he got it and so it couldn't be smogged), but I'm guessing the same kind of deal that I signed away the 87 MJ even though the title wasn't in my name because I couldn't smog it, and the registration was current.

SO for those CA DMV Expert guys...

If I buy this, I assume that I won't be able to get a title (because it's still won't get smogged.) If I want to just pick the thing clean and then sell to a Pick-n-Pull or Recycler, will I have a problem with the DMV/No Title/No Registration thing? I've never "scrapped" a vehicle in Cali before, so I had no idea how that works

OR I get a new Head (which the guy with the XJ Boneyard already said he would have one that would fit), get the thing running and then goto the DMV and try to get it regstered and sell it for more $$$ (after stealing the seats/console, etc for my MJ)

Wade

Well, for $500, It's a 4.0L HO, 5 Spd, 2WD... there is more rust than what appears in the pics, but not on any of the body parts that I'm concerned about (windhshield frame, roof, etc, etc). Clearcoat is pretty beat up, but again not in the Passenger Fender or Front Clip, so those are still usable.

The Seats are pretty good... a couple small tears on the side and back, but I can get covers easy enough and the seats are not real gross... the Console was junk.. It had a nice looking Kenwood Stereo, that I assume stays and is worth something assuming it works. The Rear bumper was mashed, but probably not worth much to me anyhow.

The 15x8 Wrangler Rims were very nice, tires shot, but I think I can get $200-$250 for them...

I just got off the phone with DMV and because the registration expired in 2007, it's going to cost me $200 to register (and still won't get a title because it can't be smogged) or $100 to get a "Junked" title...

Plus another $100 to get it towed... I think it might be more hassle than it's worth for some "OK" Body Parts, some "OK" Seats and some Rims that I'm going to sell anyhow...

Thoughts? Should I seal the deal, or walk away?

Oh Yah, a big wasps nest in back hatch just for a bonus...

It pains me to say it, but I think I'd walk away.

I have a yard full of "deals" like that, that I couldn't (wouldn't) walk away from. If y'all read my obituary any time soon, you can pretty well assume my wife got tired of looking at my "deals."

walk away, too much hassle w/ the DMV.

Well, the guy that bought my 87 MJ already said he would give me $200 plus a set a beater Rims and Tires for the AX-15/Clutch, etc, etc from the XJ...

So assuming I can get $200 for the rims, $200 for the Tranny, I'm only down about $300 that I need to make up in Parts and or Scrap to break even (adding in the Tow and DMV Fees).

I dunno that doesn't sound so bad...

I'm also gonna see if I can get the guy down to $300 since it was his fault that the registration was never paid, and I think he wants it gone...

SW2