93 2Dr XJ

SuperWade2

I just got off the phone with DMV and because the registration expired in 2007, it's going to cost me $200 to register (and still won't get a title because it can't be smogged) or $100 to get a "Junked" title...

Is that a left coast thing......the "junk" title???

Here in NY, I buy a junker, get a "bill of sale" and the title signed by the owner (name on the title) and just file it, scrap the truck and done.

DMV don't know nothing.

Plus, we don't sniff test anything older that '96 :D

I'm also gonna see if I can get the guy down to $300 since it was his fault that the registration was never paid, and I think he wants it gone...

:agree:

Well, the guy that bought my 87 MJ already said he would give me $200 plus a set a beater Rims and Tires for the AX-15/Clutch, etc, etc from the XJ...

So assuming I can get $200 for the rims, $200 for the Tranny, I'm only down about $300 that I need to make up in Parts and or Scrap to break even (adding in the Tow and DMV Fees).

I dunno that doesn't sound so bad...

I'm also gonna see if I can get the guy down to $300 since it was his fault that the registration was never paid, and I think he wants it gone...

Now that is a bit of rationalization at it's finest. It's a developed skill, nice work. You've been bit!

I just got off the phone with DMV and because the registration expired in 2007, it's going to cost me $200 to register (and still won't get a title because it can't be smogged) or $100 to get a "Junked" title...

Is that a left coast thing......the "junk" title???

Here in NY, I buy a junker, get a "bill of sale" and the title signed by the owner (name on the title) and just file it, scrap the truck and done.

DMV don't know nothing.

Plus, we don't sniff test anything older that '96 :D

:agree:

Yah the Title and Registration kind of go together, you don't get either one without the other. In order to "Junk" a car (Send it to the Scrapper/PnP/Recycler) you need a Junk Certificate and in order to get that you have to pay all the old registration fees that the last dude didn't pay... totally messed up...

Yah the Title and Registration kind of go together, you don't get either one without the other. In order to "Junk" a car (Send it to the Scrapper/PnP/Recycler) you need a Junk Certificate and in order to get that you have to pay all the old registration fees that the last dude didn't pay... totally messed up...

Technically you don't have to do any of that. You buy a metal cutting blade for your circular saw and a 10 inch blade for the sawzall and go to town on it. I made an entire 78 Bronco disappear that way. 8) I just cut it up into pieces that could be disposed of at the scrap yard without arising suspicion. And I'm halfway through making an 88 XJ vanish into the ether (the half-a-jeep I bought and brought across the border so I could get the drivetrain and wire harness).

You could always offer up the remains of the carcass for free and let someone else deal with the paperwork. :brows:

Good Idea, Pete...

Anyone have suggestions (or have extra) inexpensive, decently fitting Seat Covers for an XJ? The tops of these aren't bad and just need a scrub... the backs/sides have a few small tears that I probably should tape and then cover to keep from from getting too large...

SW2

Wade Duecy, I love your impulsiveness, cracks me up.

I think you are so money on this and you don't even know it. You are already ahead by what you can sell and getting the seats out and other parts out vs. having to go get them individually, especially what you'd pay JUST to get seats.

I'd suggest you confirm that it is a blown head, you never know, it may have been something simpler the PO mis-diagnosed. What kind of miles are on the 4.0? It might be worth putting on Craiglist or something for $1200 to see if you get any takers if the rest of it is in good shape. Someone who can repair it themselves might consider that a worthwhile deal. If not, maybe check out mfpm's "how to" on crating here and I'd say you got some money on that thing with the hood, fenders (unless you keep them), doors and hatch, much less interior parts.

Wade Duecy, I love your impulsiveness, cracks me up.

I think you are so money on this and you don't even know it. You are already ahead by what you can sell and getting the seats out and other parts out vs. having to go get them individually, especially what you'd pay JUST to get seats.

I'd suggest you confirm that it is a blown head, you never know, it may have been something simpler the PO mis-diagnosed. What kind of miles are on the 4.0? It might be worth putting on Craiglist or something for $1200 to see if you get any takers if the rest of it is in good shape. Someone who can repair it themselves might consider that a worthwhile deal. If not, maybe check out mfpm's "how to" on crating here and I'd say you got some money on that thing with the hood, fenders (unless you keep them), doors and hatch, much less interior parts.

180K on the 4.0... the Roof/Trim has quite a bit of rust (which is Odd for a Cali Truck, but :???: )

And I guess I don't know for sure that the head is blown... I think the guy I bought it from knew very little and had some shop or something tell him it was blown. It turns over, but never starts.

How would a person check if the head were in fact blown?

Sww

Oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, low compression on one or more cylinders.

It is more likely for a head *gasket* to blow, which is a relatively inexpensive fix, and the symptoms are usually the same.