V8 ZJ Swaybar Swap

I'd heard a few people say that the V8 ZJ swaybay was larger and was a direct swap but I'd never seen anyone do it. I was at the U-pull it and decided to grab one. $12. The best $12 I've ever spent.

You'll need a V8 ZJ Swaybar and both mounts with bushings.

Here are a few shot of the stock MJ Bar compared to the V8 ZJ one. MJ Bar on top V8 ZJ on bottom.

Here is a shot of the bushings, show the difference in size. MJ on the Left V8 ZJ on the right.

I have JKS disconnects so I had that to bolt up to it. But if you have stock links or rubicon links they will still bolt up.

All bolted up. Be sure to use the mounts and bushings from the ZJ. I'd recommend buying new bushings as they are around $10. I just ordered mine but wanted to try it out right away.

Over all this mod greatly improves on road manners. Nose lift on acceleration was decreased. Nose dive while braking was reduced. All handling aspects were improved, flatter cornering and increased steering feel. I'd recommend this mod to anyone that has ever put their MJ or XJ on the street. Great upgrade for a daily driver or even if you only drive your Jeep to the Trail its worth it.

I'd heard a few people say that the V8 ZJ swaybay was larger and was a direct swap but I'd never seen anyone do it. I was at the U-pull it and decided to grab one. $12. The best $12 I've ever spent.

Could you tell me the actual diameter of the ZJ bar? I think I do have one mounted, but am not sure, it might be from an XJ Country model. If you don't have a micrometer, a pretty accurate way to measure is to squeeze an adjustable wrench over it then measure the wrench opening. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Helps a lot goblazers_6. 27mm = 1.06", mine measures 1.125" w. my micrometer, so it's most likely the same bar. Got it from Tapco, NOS OEM, $18 + $6 shipping, supposedly for a 96 XJ Country. Really helped the body roll for me. Very much appreciate you sending the info. :cheers:

How did it improve your handling?

Did it create a heavy increase in understeer? Or how about an uneven feel in handling?

I want to upgrade the front on my MJ, but i'm afraid that with no bar out back it's going to understeer wayyyy too much with a heavier duty bar.

Did it create a heavy increase in understeer? Or how about an uneven feel in handling?

I want to upgrade the front on my MJ, but i'm afraid that with no bar out back it's going to understeer wayyyy too much with a heavier duty bar.

Actually it helped decrease the understeer in my application. I have a 3" lift, achieved by new MT leaf springs on the rear, TeraFlex shackles, and OME lift coils on the front. The thicker sway bar complimented the increased stability provided by the MT leafs on the back, especially when hauling loads, and the heavy shell that I carry. It's well balanced, and the handling is actually better and more consistent than pre-lift. All-in-all a very worthwhile upgrade.

Actually it helped decrease the understeer in my application. I have a 3" lift, achieved by new MT leaf springs on the rear, TeraFlex shackles, and OME lift coils on the front. The thicker sway bar complimented the increased stability provided by the MT leafs on the back, especially when hauling loads, and the heavy shell that I carry. It's well balanced, and the handling is actually better and more consistent than pre-lift. All-in-all a very worthwhile upgrade.

Would you suggest it on a stock MJ with no rear sway? (obviously none came with one)

Would you suggest it on a stock MJ with no rear sway? (obviously none came with one)

Absolutely. It can only help the overall handling, especially on body roll with a load, and when towing. There is a bolt-in aftermarket rear swaybar still available for the short bed MJs, but none I could find for my long bed. :cheers:

Absolutely. It can only help the overall handling, especially on body roll with a load, and when towing. There is a bolt-in aftermarket rear swaybar still available for the short bed MJs, but none I could find for my long bed. :cheers:

Hey Don know where a good place to buy those?

It attached to the upper shock mounts. If you call them they will send install instructions. The long bed and short bed shock mounts are in different locations (one is ahead of the axle; one is behind), so it would not work on mine. A friend of mine out in Cali has one mounted on his short bed model and loves it.

It attached to the upper shock mounts. If you call them they will send install instructions. The long bed and short bed shock mounts are in different locations (one is ahead of the axle; one is behind), so it would not work on mine. A friend of mine out in Cali has one mounted on his short bed model and loves it.

Cool,, I made a topic on it in the tech section. Maybe your friend is a member here?? I'll call those guys and get the info and post it. Thanks again Don! :cheers:

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

my 5.9 swaybar I'm putting in measured 1.025 (it was either 1.125 or 1.025 i was kinda :chillin: so i have some short term memory problems ) on my buddies micrometer, so I'm guessin its the same as the 5.2 swaybar

• 3 years later...

Note: this will interfere with a 2.5 radiator, and will work only on a 4.0 due to the offset of the 'dip' in the bar.

Man, i wish I would have known that sooner. I just pulled one from the junkyard last weekend. So the 4.0 and the 2.5 MJs have different swaybars?

• 2 weeks later...

Note: this will interfere with a 2.5 radiator, and will work only on a 4.0 due to the offset of the 'dip' in the bar.

Man, i wish I would have known that sooner. I just pulled one from the junkyard last weekend. So the 4.0 and the 2.5 MJs have different swaybars?

The ZJ has a different bar contour than the XM/MJ. Will work for a rectangular 4.0 radiator, just not the 'square' 2.5 style. A sway bar from a 4.0 XJ/MJ is interchangeable with a 2.5 XJ/MJ and vice-verse.

• 1 year later...

Did this on my 86 MJ and there was a noticeable improvement even with worn bushings. With new bushings was almost like a new truck again....kinda hard for a 28 yr old truck!