2001 Eliminator

Ok guys, I guess its time to post up my build thread. Found an 89 Eliminator on ebay nearby and decided to grab it. Kid that sold it to me had put a recent paint job on it but couldn't get it started after running it through water. Got it home and found a bad computer.

Hg38ZS5.jpg

0MkBksh.jpg

The XJ was on its last leg mechanically, so I put the lift, tranny, tcase, and axles on the MJ

eu4srJU.jpg

Put about 10 miles on it when I found a 2001 XJ sport.
Fortunately the paint matched.

E1evWWv.jpg

qwzkt9W.jpg

lgXoaIA.jpg

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything from the XJ will be going into the MJ. I was lucky enough to score a D44 in the rear when I picked it up. It was torn down and rebuilt with an Auburn Gear limited slip carrier, Yukon Gear 4.56 gears, ZJ disc brake upgrade, and SOA. II'll try to remember to get some pics of it soon.

Anyway, the ensuing teardown commences.

And stripped

Inside as well

Pulled up the jute material and what do we find?

Houston, we have a problem.

Nice job, I wish I had the nerve to try a project such as this.

I thought that too for a while. Then I just went for it. Its less about nerve more about patience. Its not very difficult to do, just somewhat time consuming and if you're doing it by yourself it can take a toll on you. I'm glad I did mine, but I won't be doing it again if I can help it.

Looks like you're well on your way Backdraft. Your's looks a little familiar...

Surgery starts on the floor pans. The inside ofthe frame rail was in good shape

Passenger side was in a bit better shape.

Looked a little closer and found more cancerous spots, so more got removed.

At least it gave me an excuse to get a wire welder!!

Replacement pan installed. They are for a Cherokee and took some convincing to lay down and fit just right, but a BFH makes a lot of difference. Also installed the seat bracket mounts from the XJ. I know my welds look like poop. I'm still new at welding, but they do have good penetration and thats what matters.

Got the pans welded in and seam sealed

As many of you know, the firewall is different between the two. Mine was a standard so there are extra holes that needed to be covered over. Also the holes for the fuse box and steering needed to be modified. I cut the firewall out of the XJ and chopped it up, using pieces as patches for my firewall. I think it turned out ok.

Sealed and painted. I also moved the brace for the sterring subassembly to the truck.

I just got the floor pans for mine same ones you have. Did you use a wire welder with gas or without? I bought a cheap flux one and it keeps burning thru thin stuff I hope it will do my floors if not I am going to go get a gas one.

I used a Hobart Handler 140. 110V with flux core wire. It worked pretty good. I blew a few holes in it at first until I got a better handle on it. Turned the power to the lowest setting and had the wire speed up about a third of capacity. I found that putting the ground lead further away from the work area helped a little to avoid burning holes. Almost like creating more resistance helped cool down the arc. I may be full of bull, but it seemed to work. I did it on the weekend when the welding supply was closed, otherwise i would have gotten a bottle of gas. The flux core did ok, but i ended up with more splatter than I would have liked. In the future I think I'll use shielding gas with it.

Mike

Nice job, I wish I had the nerve to try a project such as this.

I thought that too for a while. Then I just went for it. Its less about nerve more about patience. Its not very difficult to do, just somewhat time consuming and if you're doing it by yourself it can take a toll on you. I'm glad I did mine, but I won't be doing it again if I can help it.

Looks like you're well on your way Backdraft. Your's looks a little familiar...

I agree.. a lot of snags that were more frustrating than anything else.. looking good so far Backdraft.. I can tell you that the dash mounts don't line up (at least not from the 87 dash to the 2000 dash) but you look like you've got a grip on the welding, so it shouldn't be a problem to weld in new tabs.

What are you planning on doing with the seats? Making mounts for the XJ buckets to fit the MJ studs? I cut the front support out of the XJ and brought it with the seats and then welded it in the front and placed studs in the back of the seat brackets..

Good luck with the rest, if you run into anything, I will try and help you out.. I am still in the process of finishing mine up but its coming together.

kinetic, you're right.The dash doesn't line up at all. I set rivnuts for the lower mounts and welded new tabs in for the upper mounts. For the seats, I'll be using the Cherokee seats. I carried the braces for the front mounts of the XJ seats over. As for the rear, Drilled new holes in the floor, reinforced around the holes and ran half inch bolts through to hold it together. The rear seat mounts concern me, considering the seat belt is mounted to the seat. In the event of a crash, I want to make sure its solid and won't pull through.

Thanks for the offer to help. I'm sure theres a few things I'll need outside opinion and guidance on.

Mike

You can move the seat belts down the floor in the stock location. You just have to bend the bracket straight. That's what I did since I'm not using the newer XJ seats. I'll try to add some pictures to my build this afternoon.

Ryan, that is definately an option. Since I'm using the 01 seats it didnt occur to me to move the seat belts.

Well, here are the new dash tabs welded in place.

Like I said, my welds are ugly, but I'm not trying to win a beauty contest!!

Figured it was time to start laying down the sound dampening.

Firewall foam/heatproofing/soundproofing/whatever its actual name is installed. I was a bit of a PITA, but went in anyway.

Engine bay wire harness installed.

Next up will be dropping the drivetrain in and getting the wiring finished. Been waiting on a few presents from the brown truck. Stay tuned!

I am thinking of pulling the carpet up and putting some noise dampening material in my self.. or upping my audio to compensate for the noise jamminz.gif

You will be happy you spent the time to put the foam behind the dash.. If was such a pain installing that and then trying to fit the dash in that i ended up leaving it out and i may end up regretting it come summer time with the amount of heat that comes through some of the holes that aren't sealed as well as i thought they were.

project is looking great though, keep up the good work

• 3 weeks later...

Had some down time at work, so I worked on shortening the overhead console. A dremel and some jb weld later and came up wth this.

And then recovered

Smuggled it away from work and test fit it in the truck. Seems to fit and have the correct length.

I still need to find some lenses for the rear 2 lights, but not in a huge hurry on it.

Figured it was time to put some life into the lonely, empty engine bay. 4.0, AW4, and NP231 out of the 2001 XJ.

After about two hours of wiggling, resetting, rebalancing, beating, begging, and cussing, it finally went in.

Mike

Since factory cargo lights are non existant around these parts and the fact that everyone in Texas seems to not know you're actually braking unless you have a 3rd brake light, I thought it would be cool to make a small upgrade. Walked around the jy until I found a light that seemed to "fit" with the style of the truck. Found this one on a Ranger and decided to give it a go on the MJ.

It didn't quite fit flush, so out came the dremel tool again. Took a little off the top of the housing and bingo, it fits and seals up good.

Mike

I had a little extra time at work again. The radio has a usb jack on the back for ipod/iphone as well as flash drives. I found a 3 foot USB extension cable and decided to mount it somewhere to minimize the loose wires in the cab. So, yet again, out came the dremel and epoxy.

And set.

The cargo lights were wired to the switch for the rear window defroster in the same panel, so there was an indication by the little amber light that they were on.

Mike