2001 Eliminator

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing special on the tailgate. Shooting it with Dupont basecoat/clearcoat black to match the rest of the truck. Then putting on the black reflective stickers from jeepsticker.com. The tailgate wasn't painted when I got the truck and its about time to get it matching. Hope to shoot it this weekend.

Gotcha. I am looking for one for mine right now. I can probably un-mangle the tailgate that I have but I would probably be better off trying to find a replacement. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you

RockMJ

• 2 weeks later...

Topic Creator... backdraft.... I have a question for you

how much was the rear slider window, and did it come with the weather strip and everything needed to install and to look factory installed or what else did you buy?

thanks in advance

Topic Creator... backdraft.... I have a question for you

how much was the rear slider window, and did it come with the weather strip and everything needed to install and to look factory installed or what else did you buy?

thanks in advance

The slider is $141.00 for solar glass at glasswarepro on the interwebbins. It came with a few screws and some dinky urethane backed gasket. I guess you will be good to install it with that. I opted to give safelite a call and have them put it in. It went in painlessly and was installed by a pro (I'm no glass pro). A few pages back you will find the opinions on it by Ryan and myself. Hope that helps.

The rear is SOA with 2wd leaf packs. The front is Rubicon Express 4.5 inch coils with 1.75in spacers. TnT long arms and crossmember. Rubicon Express HD adjustable track bar. Bilstein 5100s in the front, Bilstein 5125s in the rear. Full Traction steering stabilizer. YJ brake lines up front, Dakota brake line in the rear. JKS quicker disconnects. That's all I can drum up off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I finally got some primer shot on the tailgate. The temperatures here are only low enough in the early morning for me to comfortably shoot paint. I'm going to try in the morning to get the paint laid down. Providing I can get it sanded properly tonight.

Also got the door windows tinted to 35% (legal limit in Texas). Its made a heck of a difference not having my arm and neck burned to a crisp. Inside temperatures with the air conditioning on is noticeably different as well. (Sorry for rubbing it in Jay....LOL)

I finally got a chance to shoot some paint on the tailgate. Bear in mind I'm a novice when it comes to auto paint. This is the second time I've ever attempted it. I laid down 3 coats of base, then 2 coats of clear. Sorry but I didnt get pictures of the last coat of base as i was rushing to clean the gun and mix the clear fast enough. It wound up with some orange peel but overall I think its acceptable. Maybe a little wetsanding and compounding then it should look good.

First basecoat

Second basecoat

First clearcoat

Second clearcoat

I used a Vaper HVLP gravity feed gun with a 1.4mm nozzle from northern tool to spray with. For the different layers I just adjusted the flow rate and fan pattern. Primer flowed more with a medium to wide fan at 40psi. Base flowed lean with a tighter fan. Clear flowed a little more than base with the same fan. Both at 45psi. All coats were overlapped roughly 50%. The rest was just trial and error with emphasis on error! Hope that explains it well enough man.

No major updates. Changed the oil yesterday and replaced tie rod ends and aligned the front end today. Its going to the dealership Friday to check why the airbag light is lit. I don't have a DRBIII scanner or the 4000 bucks to get one so I reluctantly have to leave it with them. May as well get them to program the key fob while I'm there.