2001 Eliminator

A little sneak peek of the interior was in the brake light photo earlier. But here is an idea of how I matched the coloring up. The original interior is the light gray. The interior from the XJ is agate/charcoal gray. I looked all over the place for trim/interior paint and everything I found was off. Most were a shade or three lighter. I called my local ChryCho dealer and they helped me hunt this down.

It ended up being a dead on match. I had 5 pieces to paint and 4 cans. Worked out to be just enough for 3-4 coats on each piece.

Once the B pillar trim was finished, it was a good time to install those snazzy Euramtec reproduction lights.

Mike

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest delivery from the brown truck. Raybuck tank without the slosh pan and the copperhead adapter ring.

Once the interior installation is finished (maybe another day), the work on the fuel tank will start.

Mike

The wire for the 3rd brake light was isolated from the lead for the 01XJ 3rd brake light in the drivers side of the harness. I believe its a white with orange tracer. I just extended it and reran it up the back of the cab along with the rear window defroster lead to power the cargo lights.

Brett, I believe it came out of a @ 2000 Ford Ranger. The Mazda pickup uses the same light assembly as well.

Mike

Ha, thanks Pat. Get back to work on yours!

Well guys and gals, I drilled out the backing plates for the old style strikers and welded these up for the new ones.

And installed.

Yeah, I know I installed the drivers side up-side-down. If you don't tell, i won't...lol

Mike

Started working on the seat belts once I got the strikers in and the doors lined up. I used the XJ belts to match the colors up with the rest of the interior. The mounting plates are a bit too long, so I cut them down and redrilled the holes, then they fit in nicely.

Mike

Also laid the jute materiel back into place and glued it to the floors. Its a real pain to get this stuff in there and laid flat. I ended up more or less cutting pieces to fit and hoped to get the bulk of the floor covered. The fibers in this stull really like to find their way into your nose and mouth.

A decent shot of the amps "almost" completely installed.

Mike

I don't know why I didn't get any pictures of the carpet once I got it installed. I swear I took some, but I couldn't find them on my phone. Oh well, at least I got some of the interior as it was going in. The dash, kick panel trim, and A pillar trim are out of the XJ. The A pillars needed new holes cut in them for the little metal clips to snap into. The rocker trim, B pillar panels, carpeted back panel, and the trim piece that goes under the rear window are obviously all MJ specific and are the pieces that were painted.

The rocker piece and B pillar piece are the same color. I guess it was the camera that rendered it a shade off.

The headliner/headboard from Steve at SMSheadliners on ebay. The fit is pretty good, but it needed some convincing to go into place. Definately not OEM, but it works decent enough. I also had to trima nd notch it in a few places to work with the XJ A pillar trim. And got it cut to fit the overhead console in and wired up.

Also wired up the euramtec lights in the B pillars.

Well, thats all for today. It was getting too dark to get photos of all the interior installed, so I will snap a few tomorrow and post them up.

Mike

Also got the front skin on. The wheels finally came in so I ran the tires to the tire shop to have them mounted. Ordered black lugnuts as well just to find out they're 45 days out from the factory. Maybe I should have looked for those elsewhere. Got them back and thrown on. I havent pulled all the plastic trim and two sided tape off the cherokee panels yet. I need to run to the paint and body supply and pick up a rubber wheel to get all of the tape and residue off.

The front seems an inch or two lower than the rear to me. What do you guys think? I have a couple 1.75 inch spacers to throw in to try and level it out. Waiting on more to come in first. Bilstein 5100 shocks and TnT long arm upgrade should be here in a week or so.

Everything seems to be working pretty well so far. I still have to make some small adjustments on the fenders and the hood is about a quarter inch to far to the drivers side. I have no idea how to adjust that. I loosened every bolt I could find to try and slide it over some and had no luck. The brake pedal was hard as a rock and it wouldnt stop for nothing. I figured with rear discs, the XJ booster/master cylinder/prop valve as well as bleeding everything properly, I'd have a better pedal. Turns out, I had a mud dauber find its way into the vacuum hose from it sitting dormant for so long. Cleared the hose and blew the dirt out and what do ya know, it works great now. Also its throwing a check engine light and an airbag light. I can't wait to get it completely road worthy so I can throw the Jeep techs for a loop when i have them check that. Just minor little things to resolve before I'm happy with it.

Mike

Ryan, I prefer the shape of the fronts and rears to match. The only option I see is getting the bushwhackers. I could paint the rear to match the front, but the fact that they aren't shaped the same will drive me insane.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well Ryan, I couldnt stand it. I hunted everywhere I could think of for flares and came up short. So, I broke down and ordered the Bushwhackers. I didnt really want to because of cost and them being a bit cliché, but I didnt see a viable alternative.

However, the rear shock mounts came in, as well as the TnT long arm upgrade. I'm still waiting on the shocks to show up so I can install them all at the same time. On a lower note, I jacked my back up the other day at work and now have a compressed disc at T5. I guess its a sign to slow down some cause I'm getting older! Maybe Ill dope up on painkillers and install the long arms!

Mike

This is the ultimate daily driver/ weekend wheeler!

I don't know why I haven't checked out this thread before but man your truck is awesome! Can't wait to see the installed longarms! Keep at it man and take it easy on the back!

-Nick

Thanks Nick!

I just read your build thread over again this morning. Truck is awesome! I'm taking the weekend off but should be back on it getting the long arms under in the next week or so. The bushwhackers came in today so I'm still sitting and staring at a pile of parts. Oh well, all in due time I guess.

Just as a little update, I got a scanner and the only code that was thrown was for the NSS. I feel lucky I only had one. Truck still has to go to the dealership to check out the airbag light and program the key fob. After that, a quick trip the the muffler shop, then to the body shop for some adjustments and touchup work.

Mike