Save... OR CHANGE?... the Date: MN CC Pow Wow!!!

neohic

Putting this out now so we can all start making our summer plans: The weekend of August 17th, 2012 is the proposed date for our next Comanche Club Pow Wow!

Let's take a step into the way back machine for a second. While I wasn't there, it was a few years ago that we had the most CC members in one spot at THIS get together:

Then there was the PARTY AT PETE'S. Remember how the plan was to get even more of us than the last time? Well...

283946_226040017433493_100000824882082_583921_3592590_n.jpg

... it didn't happen... but we had a great time!

Then there was the Pow Wows of the past: 2005, 2006, 2007... and so on. What was cool about those? Uh... getting these trucks out and playing on some trails? You bet!

Now... lately, I've noticed some talk about the Gilbert OHV park in northern MN. What I'm proposing is a mixture of the get togethers where we all meet up and hang out with a common interest and the Pow Wows that were centered around wheeling some Comanches. So, August 17, 18, and 19th or 2012 is the date as of now. If it needs to move to allow for more, so be it. The idea is to get as many of us in on spot for chillin' with some good homies, some wheeling, more chillin' with some good homies, and maybe a malty libation or two if there's anytime left. Need to break it down some more? Here we go:

• We need a spot to call a base camp. Planning has also been considered with xjrev10 and he has volunteered his place for camping.
    From there, he's all of a short drive from the already said Gilbert.
    There's also miles of logging roads and scenic highway for MJ enriched touring and convoy.
    Plenty of other such fun things for those who may need to break away and enjoy some MN specific goodness.

For those who aren't familiar with how we roll up here, here's some links to some popular MN fun:

Exploring the Iron Range
Gilbert Trail Map
Maritime Museum List
Duluth Railroad Museum
MN DNR Gilbert Site

For those interested in the OHV park, or for those who think they wouldn't be, I think Austin (xjrev10) put it best that there are "trails you could drive a Prius down to trails with rocks the size of a Prius". Anyone is welcome to come up and play around with their truck as far or as little as they want. Trails you can go down without scratching your paint... trails that have big signs that say "expect body damage"... trails in between... I'm sure Austin will chime in with further details on the park and the overall weekend.

So there we go. I'm sure there'll be more specific details as we get closer to summer. With high hopes that this thing will work out it brings up the question... who's in?

you should push it back to late september, early october. i am planning on going to Gilbert around then. i can't do it that close together.

If we were to move it that far back I'd say go a little farther. October 18-21st is fall break at the school.

Ahhh October.. I'm open EVERY weekend except the weekend Ben posted, :wall: but I can most likely change my vacation.

If October it is, as most know that will be probably be peak fall colors. Gilbert OHV is a solid day. Yes even you folks with 2wd Jeeps, will be able to get around and watch the "wheelers" without a problem. The park is a old mine dumping area with old haul roads for core roads with many trails right off the road. You'll have to purchase a ORV reg for 37.50 to drive your rig into the park. The permit is good for 3 years. This also applys to the MMT. (see next paragraph)

Also, by October the the Mesabi Mountain Trail should be open. This trail was built by my club and I the last few years. Information can be found here: http://mn-jeep.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19085. Once again, as of today the trail is not open, but should be open by June. This would be for the more hardcore of the bunch (33s and lockers minimum, although some may argue 35s minimum). I do have a 'bus' (XJ) so moving people out to watch a few MJs in action is possible. This is also a whole day. As you will see, we have a 'rest area' complete with a park style grill.

If we decide to center this around Gilbert, there is a nice campground called Sherwood Forest right on Lake Ore B Gone with ORV access to the park. Also if someone decides not to drive there beloved truck into the park, you could take your ATV.. But I do have lots of room at my house for camping also.

Like Ben stated above, there are also LOTS of old logging roads with lots of nice areas to travel through. Like a mini UA type of deal. Mixture of highway and 2 tracks that run MILES through the woods. I would take my 2wd tho.. I've lived up here my whole life and know most of them. We have lots of old glacial lakes and rock formations up here. Also, 60 miles away in Duluth, there is the shipping industry that is fun to watch. Lift bridge, lots of unique shops etc. The shopping part is not really my thing but...yea.

Thats alot to think about. Lots of things to keep a few Jeepers that have never been to area busy, is the bottom line. Any questions, feel free to ask.

I would love to do something like this. I won't be able to make that weekend though, I will be here:

http://www.badgersteamandgas.com/

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what other weekends people propose... northern MN isn't far, been there many times.

Oh, and who would want to go to a railroad museum anyway? :clapping: That museum was a stop on our honeymoon last fall, we had dinner on the pizza train one of the evenings we were in Duluth, good time.

I would love to do something like this. I won't be able to make that weekend though, I will be here:

http://www.badgersteamandgas.com/

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what other weekends people propose... northern MN isn't far, been there many times.

Oh, and who would want to go to a railroad museum anyway? :clapping: That museum was a stop on our honeymoon last fall, we had dinner on the pizza train one of the evenings we were in Duluth, good time.

That sounds pretty neat. Id definately like to check that out.

Thats something I didnt even think of, take a looksee to see if any swap meets or interesting things may be going that weekend, up here.

It'd be over 20 hours of driving for me too :cry: that's alot of gas monies!

Took a buddy of mine 27 to get from here to Vermont...Lots of big cities to travel through.

Keeping an eye on this thread. Maybe I'll have most of the truck's issues sorted out by then.

IMO, you don't HAVE to drive your MJ up. There will be open seats. But you only have a 200 mile drive. If you trust to drive it across town, it would make it up here. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

You can bet I will be there! I can think of at least 3 others with their own rigs who can come also, I was planning a trip exactly like this around the same date with a couple buddies :cheers: Whether I come in an XJ or an MJ is the only question :dunno:

we will see where the pink MJ is by then! The first weekend in October is Apple Fest in Bayfield, WI which I also plan on attending. Two long trips possibly in October. Could possibly make it work though!

• 2 weeks later...
You can bet I will be there! I can think of at least 3 others with their own rigs who can come also, I was planning a trip exactly like this around the same date with a couple buddies :cheers: Whether I come in an XJ or an MJ is the only question :dunno:

If it turns out folks want to try some wheeling, I most definately will be in my XJ.

If it turns out folks want to try some wheeling, I most definately will be in my XJ.

i will be wheeling...

i will be wheeling...

You said you where not coming in Aug. First part of October?

The OHV site is a solid day of wheeling. If you have a minimum 33s and lockers, you could come run the Mesabi Mountain trail too!

• 2 weeks later...