Bad engine sounds (video)

I'm getting a little scared here. My truck has run a little rough since I got it, but now it's hit new levels of roughness.

Despite an oil leak, the level hasn't fallen to more than halfway between the "full" and "add" marks, and I recently topped it off to "full." Soon after shooting this the oil light came on so I shut it down, and confirmed that the oil level is still full. Bad sensor, or a lack of oil elsewhere in the engine? Don't know. I hope I haven't killed this motor...

Gene, I don't really want to run the engine any more since the oil light is on, but I can tell you that the knocking increased and decreased with engine speed. I'm ready to do an oil change if that would help, but if the engine is toast there's little point.

I'm also pondering pulling the valve cover to check the lifters as Bo suggests. I have an oil leak anyway and a new valve cover gasket is where I'd start.

Hi Justin,

Usually a bad rod bearing gets MUCH louder when accelerating. Valve train noise will get "faster" but not louder.

Pull the valve cover, if nothing looks bad then run it for a short time with the valve cover off.

However, if you don't have oil pressure, it is probably not valve train.

Good luck!

Gene

Weird, to me it just sounds like a bad exhaust leak. But I don't know how you can really tell anything from a video anyway.

Do you have oil pressure? I had the oil pump go bad on mine a few years ago at around 104,000 miles. Got lucky, it happened at home, and I was able to replace it with no harm to the engine.

A loss in oil pressure and that noise could be a bearing. Check the oil and filter for debris. Another check would be to pull a plug wire at idle and see if the sound changes, it should get quieter if it's a bearing. (You are removing the combustion cycle from that cylinder, thus reducing the pressure on that bearing). Do this one at a time for each cylinder. See if that helps.

Looks like the #2 spark plug wire is moving around quite a bit. Is the plug loose?

This.

Sounds like an exhaust leak in the vid and I'll bet that #2 plug is loose.  Drain and catch the engine oil and see if its full of little metal flakes (or cut open the oil filter as suggested earlier).  I like to stick something painted white (like an old oil filter) under the stream of oil coming out and look with a flashlight.  

As far as your oil pressure goes you really need to verify with a mechanical gauge in place of the electric sender.

The problem is, in fact, in the #2 cylinder, though not what I expected.

IMG_2882_rfd.jpg

Both lifters are bad, and obviously that rocker arm isn't pointing in the proper direction. Stupid auto parts stores near me don't have an oil pressure tester - none of them! So I've ordered one and will confirm that I have pressure (or not) before proceeding.

Thanks for all the input!

I think this may be due to collapsed hydraulic valve lifters, which may be related to oil delivery problems....

So maybe this is a result of the (oil pressure related) problem, not the cause...

Gene