windshield

I just found out recently my windshield is leaking. I was sitting inside the truck on lunch break listening to music. Started raining which happens fairly often here. I happened to have a plastic bag on the floor of the truck when I heard water dripping onto the bag. I have been inside the truck several times when it's raining and never saw it before. I was planning on replacing the windshield in the future because it has a pretty long crack where the mirror mounts. The other day I was fixing to pull my headliner out and was wondering how one of the screws holding the visor up was rusted badly. So today I called all the auto window places and everyone of them told me that they had to special order it. It would take 8 to 10 weeks to be shipped by boat and it would cost $415. So I had to bite the bullet and ordered it. While there I was telling them that a windshield out of a Cherokee would work it's pretty much the exact same window to try and cut the wait down for the shipping. The lady helping me pretty much ignored what I was telling her so I put the deposit down to have windshield ordered and shipped. I leave and about 15 minutes later she calls me and said she was talking to one of her technicians and he informed her pretty much the exact same thing I was telling her. The good news they have the windshield on hand and I can get it replaced Thursday. The bad news it's costing me more $449 because of having to use the gasket instead of clips. Price for windshield is $271. That is the one bad thing about living on a island parts are extremely hard to come by and if you happen to get "lucky" and they have a part on hand it's on the expensive side. I was also told that if it has any rust around the windshield they will have to send to the body shop before they can do it. So it may even cost a lot more than that after its all over with. Unfortunately I have to get it done so I can move forward on fixing the interior. I am hoping for no rust and everything goes smoothly.

There is more info on tech about this but I regret not having them put the rubber gasket instead of the original metal trim when my truck was repainted 5 years ago.  At some point the xj's were fitted with the rubber gasket.  Good luck!

Buck.

It takes some pulling teeth but twice this year I had the City Auto Glass dispatch load up glass and gasket for a 97 jeep cherokee and they came and did both of my MJs. On my green jeep it was even a insurance job. $300ish for the white one out of pocket.

I have already decided to go with gasket set up. I think it's the wisest thing to do. I could wait for an original fit windshield but the 2 month wait to get it is just adding more chances for other parts to rust. It may sound expensive now but if I put it off an extra few months, how much more would it cost to repair the damage the water leak will cause? That's what made me go with the more expensive way.

You guys live in the wrong place when it comes to having windshields replaced.  Just had mine replaced in my MJ about 2 weeks ago.  Cost me $170 for a Cherokee windshield and trim/gasket and he did it in my garage to boot.  No more CHROME trim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :banana:

You guys live in the wrong place when it comes to having windshields replaced.  Just had mine replaced in my MJ about 2 weeks ago.  Cost me $170 for a Cherokee windshield and trim/gasket and he did it in my garage to boot.  No more CHROME trim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :banana:

X2 on this --- $150

There is no "original fit" Comanche glass VS XJ Cherokee glass. If MJs were produced in 97, they would have had the same exact rubber gasket and glass as the Cherokee. FWIW the 97 glass they have on hand would have worked also, just use the chrome trim and clips instead of the rubber gasket. Hate it when suppliers BS customers tryin to make more $$$.

Wow I didn't even realize that. They told said it would be an original fit to special order. What I don't understand is why the one they have on hand would cost more to have installed. My thinking it should be cheaper because of eliminating the shipping. I am heading there now to get it done. Hopefully they are able to install it. I have no idea how long it's been leaking and if there is significant rust to prevent them from doing it. Crossing my fingers on that one. Lol

Had two windshields installed in the past with the original metal trim used and never had any leaking. Hit a Bull Elk awhile back messed up the left front and cracked the windshield, no damage to the elk. Had a new windshield installed with the rubber gasket, leaked like a sieve. Did some sealing with silicone and stopped the leak. Had almost the identical damage that Automan had to his Cherokee when he hit that Ford pickup. His post on his repair was a lifesaver. Want to thank him for a great thread.

Had two windshields installed in the past with the original metal trim used and never had any leaking. Hit a Bull Elk awhile back messed up the left front and cracked the windshield, no damage to the elk. Had a new windshield installed with the rubber gasket, leaked like a sieve. Did some sealing with silicone and stopped the leak. Had almost the identical damage that Automan had to his Cherokee when he hit that Ford pickup. His post on his repair was a lifesaver. Want to thank him for a great thread.

If there was leaking the windshield was not installed properly, the metal trim nor the rubber acts as a sealant, just trim. So no matter what trim was used the windshield would have still leaked the decision between rubber or metal is strictly cosmetic

Whew got lucky and caught it before it became an issue. There us some slight surface rust. Little bit if wire brush and primer good as new. I'm glad I didn't wait for the special order one. Being on a tropical island it rains almost every day. I got enough other issues to fix on the truck. I definitely don't need to add more to it. Lol

As already noted, the windshield glass is the same for all years of the XJ and MJ. Part numbers changed from the factory for different years, but we've pretty much determined that the difference is only in the amount and color of the tinting.

There is NO WAY using the gasket should add $449 to the cost of installing the windshield. The gasket should probably be about $25 (that's a guess -- maybe $50?). It's probably less work than fighting all the stainless trim and clips, so there should be no additional labor cost.

You're being robbed.

To the O.P.  I don't know where you live (got the island part), but you really should shop around.  $400 plus is more than twice as much a reasonable reasonable price in San Diego.

He lives on Guam, and that's really not an outrageous price. The shop he's dealing with could well be the only place on the island that replaces windshields. I had one replaced on my 66 Mustang GT when living there and it was well over $300, and that was several years ago. We thought very seriously about retiring there at one time but the cost of living is ridiculous. It was higher than Hawaii at the time.

I agree lol. I live on a tiny island called Guam. I did shop around on windshield. Everyone referred me to this place. No one else was willing to touch it. I have gotten use to the fact everything here cost 2x the price back there. i still hate paying it but here its the norm. Next time I need a windshield will see about having one shipped in. But again shipping is killer as well. Most places don't ship here.

Couldn't get one from THE junkyard? ANY year of Cherokee would have fit. Is it possible to remove a used one from the JY? Yes, if I'm doing it, no seriously it aint hard if you don't rush it and take your time.

The JY here is a joke. I have been there a few times and they act like it is an inconvenience for you to be there to give them money for part. They also are way over priced. Several years ago I had a car I was looking for door handles for. When I went there they were asking very close to dealer price. I decided to check online and found them for almost next to nothing. I got all 4 for about 1/4 of the price including shipping of what the JY wanted for 1. Living here is nothing like back there. I am very fortunate I have a decent job that pays very well for what I do. Like Hornbrod was saying cost of living here is pretty high. We have to import everything. Guam doesn’t have much to export. Something that cost $1 back there you will pay $2.50-4.00 depending where you shop. It's very relaxed here. You always see people out BBQing almost every weekend. When I lived in Texas I very seldom saw that. People are always so busy back there. Living here, simply put, there isn't much to do.

Find out what type of sealant they used. From what glass techs around here have told me, the sealant for glass installations is Butyle, which isn't compatible with silicone. (However, a friend who is a VW tech mentioned that some shops in his area now don't use butyle -- but I don't recall what he said they use.

Thanks Eagle. Wasn't aware it would have been an issue. I have to wait a few hours before they open to find out if they will attempt to fix it. If it is Butyle did they happen to mention what to use to seal a leak? I see this here all the time, a lot of people will just silicone around the trim or use some kind of tape. I don't want to do either of those. It looks awful. Lol. I am almost positive the shop is going to say they can fix it but since there is no warranty it going to cost again. Don't know about you guys but I hate paying for something twice when it should have been done right the first time.

Butyle should not be used for a windshield , urethane is what is being used now . Flowable silicone is a temporary fix as the rust will allow the window to eventually leak again . Ask your local windshield place if they have a better product for sealing the windshield if you don't want to remove it . The window has a better chance coming out in warm weather if you're going to take it out .

I just looked at the receipt. Urethane was used. As far as pulling the windshield out again by myself I really don't want to do it. Its a bigger risk of breaking it doing it solo. My experience in the past it's best to have 2 people handling it.