fat guy needs help

Hey guys I have a question for you. This past weekend as I was helping my sister move we loaded down my 88 Comanche with everything we could fit. Honestly more than we should have fit, two tarps half a dozen straps and it was still a little iffy, anyways I have had this truck for some time now and dd it is fine but I found as I would lean out my window to check on this iffy load my fat gut would hit the wheel... this got me thinking because I plan to offroad this truck I don't want to run into mobility issues at the worst time on a trail. Anyone have this problem? is there a way to adjust the seat back a bit more? seems like there should be away being that there is about thee inches of space wasted behind the seat... just looking for some ideas and droping twenty pounds has already been suggested lol thanks sincerly the fat jeeper

First thought came to mind. Tilt wheel. And possibly a smaller diameter. Once had a '33 Plymouth 1/2 ton pick up. Didn't like the way the steering wheel was. Cut four inches off the end off the column and remounted the wheel. Worked GREAT....Until I got my fingers jambed between the wheel and dash while speeding around a corner one day.  Cost me $90 to replace the door on a '49 Ford I hit and $15 for careless driving citation. :doh:

Different seats.  The stock back on the bucket seats does not hold a firm position.  There is a lot of room for motion when the seat back is "locked" in the sitting position.  Grab the back of the seat, push it gently forward and you will see the motion.

Replace the stock XJ seats with Grand Cherokee seats.  Put XJ 95+ seat back adjusters on the Grand Cherokee seats.  The seat back will now adjust and hold what ever back position you put it in much better.  Bonus, you can move the seat further back before hitting the rear of the cab.  Translates to more room for our fat gut.

I'm a big guy (6'5 and 310lbs), and while I don't yet have belly to wheel issues, I would definitely say that I do have wheel proximity issues thanks to my big arms and narrow cabin.  I thought about shortening the colummn, but I honestly think a smaller wheel with a shallower offset would definitely help.

I'm not a large guy, about average, 6' 185-190 or so...but the MJ cab is not really known for roominess.  I put a smaller Grant wheel in my MJ and it gave me a lot more "perceived" room, really about 2".  Eventually I took it out and reinstalled the old wheel...just didn't like the feel, but that and a tilt column would likely fix you right up.

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys I finally got a chance to do some steering wheel shoping today but I have a problem... the gf has my truck at work, she works nights I work days next day ill see her and the truck will be monday. anyone know the diameter and dish of the stock mj wheel? I want to get my order placed asap. any help would be great thanks guys