It has been a long time coming friends.

Here is a little background on this project...

I drove to Alabama from Georgia to tow this beast home after looking for a long time. Got it for $900 in working condition with some "minor" fixes necessary. I guess "minor" is somewhat subjective, but here is a list of what I got, what was wrong with it, what I've done to fix it so far and what I'm planning on doing.

Keep in mind that this is still in progress. I will keep you guys updated as it comes together with tons of pictures and probably some videos. I'm big on videos...

Anyway, here's the beast the day after I picked it up:

Eb07Dya.jpg

And here's some more pics before some of the fixes just to give you the full scope on this guy:

QwmSwFV.jpg

tN40Rq9.jpg

OPDJW4p.jpg

01QUedc.jpg

jeqQB5P.jpg

And here's the engine:

Qcs03fX.jpg

Npal521.jpg

The rust was not terrible, but obviously not ideal either. The biggest issue was basically the electrical was all messed up. It would not start half of the time, the turn signals never worked when it did start, no radio, A/C worked only half the time, and worst of all, half the time I was driving and it would just stop if it idled. This was not an engine issue though, it was all electrical. I knew this because all power would go out and if I got out of the truck and wiggled the wires around, i could eventually get it to crank.

I turned to ComancheClub to help me asses the issue by uploading tons of pictures of my wiring. While this wasn't a bad idea, it still was futile just because nobody could really see the issue. Turns out that there was a bad diode in the alternator. Check out how the last owner dealt with the alternator. I guess this is an Alabama fix?  :doh:

pdNiCe7.jpg

So, to start, I replaced the alternator and fixed some minor wiring issues. Now the turn signals work, the A/C works, the heat works, the engine cranks every time and stays that way no matter how long it's idling.  :banana:

Alright, so the beast is alive now. Good progress. From here some routine stuff had to be addressed. The radiator fluid inside of the overflow was rust brown. I flushed it completely and then found out there was a huge leak in the radiator. I guess some dirt or rust was clogging the hole up before, but now it was just pouring out coolant. So...time for a new radiator.  :wrench:

After I got the radiator in, I went to the oil, changed the filter, put some good synthetic stuff in there. Food for the soul  . :MJ 1: .

So...now the beast runs like a champ with a new alternator, fixed wiring, new radiator, new coolant, fresh oil filter and clean oil.

So what's next??? :)

Here's my list. This will allow me to have something to reference as well as allow you guys to hound me if I'm not updating you with pics and info!

-Paint Job, sand down the rust

-Take out the carpet and fix the floor as I'm sure there's plenty of rust there.

-I know the interior looks pretty good, but I have an itch to change the interior to some sweet black and white seats I saw on this forum a ways back. I will try to find some photos, but am not sure I'll be able to. But it looked sooo good. 

-Add roll bars

-possibly a lift

-Needs new tires desperately

-Some surprise customization that I'll keep you all on the edge of your seat for  :popcorn:

Normally, a paint job shouldn't be the FIRST thing for a variety of reasons...but I had an opportunity that was too good to pass up to trade a guy who has a paint shop for services. I build websites, do photography, video etc. so I offered to build him a couple websites for his business if he would paint the beast. He agreed.

Under 1 condition though...he will paint it textured flat black (kind of like a bedliner paint job...) At first, I wasn't crazy about this, but I actually went to visit a jeep that had this paint job...and I think it looks like a tank. Pretty freaking cool I think. But...just want to throw that out there so you guys don't think I killed my jeep when it comes back murdered out!  B)

I think it will look good...at least it will be a unique look.

Anyway, I'll hopefully be able to update you guys next week with the paint job pics. Stay tuned

Are you really going to "bed line" a red Eliminator? I think that is a huge mistake but it is your truck. What part of Georgia are you in?

I live in Atlanta.

The problem is that I do not have a garage to paint it in nor the experience and someone offered to paint it as a trade for service. 

I don't have a ton of alternatives as I can't afford to drop $2000-$3000 (what I've been quoted) for a new paint job and I don't have the tools to do it.

If it were up to me, I know exactly how I'd paint it (combo of silver and black), but it just doesn't seem to be possible for me right now...

Any and all ideas welcome though...

I think you'd ruin it if you didn't stick with the factory red. Solid truck you have there.

Hmmm, well... I think ruin is a strong word. I think it's more a matter of preference.

I personally don't like red trucks, red cars etc. so, for me, I'd rather paint it black than red...

Plus I don't have the money or the tools to repainted it red. Kind of stumbled on a good opportunity.

I think you'd ruin it if you didn't stick with the factory red. Solid truck you have there.

Here is what would be ideal for me to paint:

erewp9V.jpg

What's ironic is that this truck started out as a red Eliminator too.  :laughin:

Have you checked with maaco or Earl scheib for painting your truck . People in my area have gotten paint jobs rather reasonable . For what the bedliner costs ( and your going to have to mask it off anyhow ) it would be rather comparable .

I'm all for you doing what you want with your truck and just trying to give another option .

Sure, I don't think bedlining a red Eliminator is ideal, but the current paint job is absolutely toast anyway. In the end, it's his truck and he can do whatever he wants to with it. If the truck had an absolutely pristine, garage kept, always waxed finish? That would be ruining it.

This is a good start to the thread, controversial or not. I'll be looking forward to seeing more updates on this one.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I visited a bed lined Jeep and you know what, I actually think it looks pretty awesome. Is it the classic comanche look? No, but for me, I'll make it work.

I know the idea of a bed lined comanche on this forum is near treason, but all I can say is I have big plans for it and will surely make it look as awesome as it can be.

Unfortunately I just don't have the money for a paint job right now. Someone mentioned the cost of bedliner vs. maaco, but due to my arrangement I'm not paying for any of the materials or labor. So it's a pretty good deal for me.

Anyway, I figured just mentioning this would cause some controversy on the board, but I will keep you guys updated regardless!

I hope you didn't take my comment negatively! I just threw that out there as a cheaper paint alternative, definitely keep us updated!

No problem. Thanks for your input. I think it is a good alternative. But right now I just can't beat free!

Anyway, I will post updates but based on just mentioning what I have in mind I doubt physical evidence of a bed lined jeep comanche will gather any more positive responses than I have already bypassed.

Either way, I'll post some pics soon. Thanks to all!

Jeep on!

Hey guys, should have a nice update for you soon hopefully. I'm aiming for end of the week for some more pictures.

In the meantime I'm trying to find the right tire size along with lift amount if anyone cares to give some feedback it would be much appreciated!

Here are my thoughts:

I will not be doing a whole lot of off roading with this truck, mostly highway and around town on the road, but would like to do some trail riding.

I do however really like the look of a 5'' lift with some 33's (specifically 33x12.50R15). I have an opportunity to get a really good deal on these tonight from craigslist, but wanted to ask you guys a few questions...

1. Will this type of set up substantially decrease MPG's?

2. Any reason to do this beyond just liking how it looks if not using it for offroading?

3. Is $500 for some BFG 33x12.50R15's with wheels a pretty good deal? Barely used. 

4. Can I get away with a 4 inch lift with these size tires or will there be any trimming?

Thanks in advance guys!

Hey guys, should have a nice update for you soon hopefully. I'm aiming for end of the week for some more pictures.

In the meantime I'm trying to find the right tire size along with lift amount if anyone cares to give some feedback it would be much appreciated!

Here are my thoughts:

I will not be doing a whole lot of off roading with this truck, mostly highway and around town on the road, but would like to do some trail riding.

I do however really like the look of a 5'' lift with some 33's (specifically 33x12.50R15). I have an opportunity to get a really good deal on these tonight from craigslist, but wanted to ask you guys a few questions...

1. Will this type of set up substantially decrease MPG's?

2. Any reason to do this beyond just liking how it looks if not using it for offroading?

3. Is $500 for some BFG 33x12.50R15's with wheels a pretty good deal? Barely used. 

4. Can I get away with a 4 inch lift with these size tires or will there be any trimming?

Thanks in advance guys!

1. Mileage will suck nuts unless you regear the axles to 4:56. Thais is another $1000 for both sets installed. Power will be down drastically as well.

2. a mild 3-4" lift with some 31s is a better DD combo than 33s any way you slice it. You can get away with using your stock gears as well. I see no reason for them on a DD.

3. $500 is a decent deal for them depending on wear and type of wheels that they are on.

4. You will need a lot of trimming to run 33s on a 4" lift.

Any tire that looks kick @$$ will generally wear out fast and have poor handling on wet streets.

Goodyear Duratracs or Threadwright Guard Dogs are the way to go. At $115 a tire I like the Treadwrights.

https://www.treadwright.com/individual-product/141

Good call. These are the tires I was looking for, but couldn't find  :thumbsup:

Will pick some of these up. 

Thanks guys. Will update you guys with some pics tomorrow.

Yeah 5in' for a DD is going to be rough unless you're ready to throw a couple grand into it.  

I'm stock suspension and 31's. It fits pretty well, thinking about doing a little budget boost. Wouldn't need much more than that.

Yeah 5in' for a DD is going to be rough unless you're ready to throw a couple grand into it.  

I'm stock suspension and 31's. It fits pretty well, thinking about doing a little budget boost. Wouldn't need much more than that.

When you say you're running 31's on stock suspension, do you mean you have no lift and 31s? Do those fit...?

When you say you're running 31's on stock suspension, do you mean you have no lift and 31s? Do those fit...?

Gooooood looking paint. Real BA look.

And yes.

8umu5y6e.jpg

re5a2ebe.jpg

They rub just a TOUCH at full lock. Keep thinking a BB and/or spacers would fix that.