Multiple Core Radiator?

Time to start ordering parts for the wrecked '97 XJ. The radiator is one of the items on the list, and the current one is the single core with plastic tank ends. I'm coming here because the Spectra single core replacement is only $81.79 from Rockauto.com. The double core Omix-ADA they offer is $169.79...

I come here to ask... Is it worth the extra? Seems opinions are everywhere out there as to the efficiency of the single large cores or the smaller double rowed cores... Could go either way depending on what forum you pull up.

Since the opinions here are the only ones that really matter to me, can anyone convince me to spend the extra dough for a double core?

Rob

I'm running a CSF 2671 3 core Radiator, it fit like a glove and it works awesome!!! I've never overheated and don't even have a fan shroud ( next on my junk yard list) altough it's more expensive than either one you mentioned I don't think less cores are better for cooling.

I'm running a CSF 2671 3 core Radiator, it fit like a glove and it works awesome!!! I've never overheated and don't even have a fan shroud ( next on my junk yard list) altough it's more expensive than either one you mentioned I don't think less cores are better for cooling.

You can pick up a new shroud on ebay for $15 shipped.

Ordered one last friday.

I had that style all aluminum rad and it lasted maybe 3 weeks and blew up and started leaking.

I took a chance and tried it over the CSF 2671 all metal 3 core and it was a mistake, it didnt fit right and had to mess with the cooler fittings as well then of coarse it started leaking. I would say stick with the proven CSF 2671.

Now keep in mind I don't do any off-roading other than forest roads, but quite frequent towing, 600mi + highway trips, and normal daily driving . I have had only the single cores in my jeep for the life of it and it is currently sitting at 230kmi and as long as the rest of the cooling system components are operating properly I have never had a single problem. Only time I have ever overheated was when my water pump took a $#!&. I vote for save the money for something else and just get the single.

I ordered a GDI 3 core about 10 years ago.  They actually sent me a CSF 3 core instead, it's been a decade and it's still going strong.  Barely gets over 200 degrees on the guage.  Go with a quality one, it's not a place to cheap out on.

I would suggest staying away from the chinese all aluminum radiators on ebay.  I don't think I have ever heard anything good about them.  A quality aluminum with plastic cap radiator should last a while too.

The general consensus is that the CSF is the way to go, especially if you will be wheeling, though not everyone will agree.  Regardless of which radiator you choose, do add an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler.

I have used both the Spectra and the 3 core CSF. The Spectra does an OK job on Ryan's jeep - keeps it within the specs and has not overheated...but...that is with a newly boiled out, rebuilt engine. When he was running the Renix 4.0 we could not keep it cooled down without the CSF 3 core. I ordered it from the Radiator Barn.

I'd go back with the 2 core if I had to do Ryan's again. And, I second a quality aux cooler for the transmission.