Fish Tale - Strange but True

HOrnbrod

My two nephews (8 and 6 years old) came over today with their Mom and Dad, so I took them all fishing (minus Mom) out back in the lake. We were trolling for crappie and had a good pile of them in the cooler and were headed back to the house, when the six year old screamed (again) that and said he had a fish on. He had only said this 456,202 times so far, and hadn't caught a fish all day. I looked back and thought he was snagged on a log (again) then his pole bent double, and he did have a FISH on. 8 lb. test, trolling tiny Beetle Spins. :eek: I had visions of a AL state record crappie, but when the fish jumped, it was a huge bass. The little guy got it in all by himself (luckily the drag was set right) after three minutes of furious cranking, and his Dad netted it. It weighed out on my hand held scale at 8 lbs 12 oz, a very good bass. Ran in the house to take some pics, the camera was dead, changed batteries, still dead. The little guy's bass is in the freezer, and we had a great crappie dinner w. hush puppies and all the fixins w. plenty of beer, and the bass is headed for the taxidermist Monday. NOT a fish story, completely true. Largest bass I ever caught here was an even 9 lbs, and this little guy gets one nearly as big with crappie gear. Twas a good day...... :cheers:

Nice He'll remember that for the rest of his life... I did about the same thing he did when I was a kid.. Reminds me of catching a large mouth on a float one day... Glad I didnt know what I was doing cause I had the hook on about 2" from the float in the water and the guy swallowed hook sinker,,,,,,,,,, and float...

Yeah, the kid even called twice after he got home "Uncle Don, when are we going fishing again?" His Mom said he can't sleep and has been to the freezer a couple of times seeing if his fish is still there. I think we created a fishing monster............. :D

:needpics:

There.......I said it :D

I know, I read your camera was no good, but after it makes the trip to the taxidermist, and is mounted........I think you owe us some pictures ;)

I KNEW someone would do it. Sigh.........

Will do! :brows:

Don't you just hate it when you get upstaged by a rookie?

LOL. But in this case I enjoyed it, watching him crank his little heart out. :D But yes, being upstaged by some young whippersnapper seems to happen more frequently lately. :cry:

GREAT story!!

KUDO's to you for being a great uncle and taking "kids" fishing!!

BTW, what you doing next Sat AM? :roll: :D I'll even bring the Beer and bait... huh, what do you say? CW

C'mon down CW, UB always welcome :D (providing you bring the Miller High Life of course) :cheers:

But this time of the year, as hot as it is, I usually switch to top water night fishing. That's when the big boys like to feed.............

shad.gif

I'm quite familiar with your AO as I used to go TDY to the Naval Electronics Systems Engineering Center (NAVELEX) in Vallejo quite a bit. But never had the pleasure of doing any sturgeon fishing........

jamminz.gif I listen to fish stories for a living, (Ca. Game Warden) but I always love it when I hear one where lady luck smiles on a kid. :banana: Grown men spend 1000's of dollars to catch fish like that and most of them consider it a good year if they succeed once.

Are you going to get it mounted for him?

Oh yeah! His Dad and I were more excited than the kid when he was reeling it in. I can't believe he got it in on a tiny Beetle Spin crappie lure with a brass hook. His Dad brought it to a taxidermist friend of his last night and it's promised to be completed in two weeks. AT THAT TIME I WILL post pictures of the mounted monster, okay Wildman? :cheers:

Oh yeah! His Dad and I were more excited than the kid when he was reeling it in. I can't believe he got it in on a tiny Beetle Spin crappie lure with a brass hook. His Dad brought it to a taxidermist friend of his last night and it's promised to be completed in two weeks.

Are we talking skin mount or plastic replica? That would sure be fast for skin.

I just thought of something: At this time of year a female should have been spawned out. Jeez, this could have been a double digit doozy a month or so ago. :eek:

Oh yeah! His Dad and I were more excited than the kid when he was reeling it in. I can't believe he got it in on a tiny Beetle Spin crappie lure with a brass hook. His Dad brought it to a taxidermist friend of his last night and it's promised to be completed in two weeks.

Are we talking skin mount or plastic replica? That would sure be fast for skin.

I just thought of something: At this time of year a female should have been spawned out. Jeez, this could have been a double digit doozy a month or so ago. :eek:

Skin mount. I thought it was kind of fast too, but my bro-in-law says it will be done by then. I've had fish mounted before, and yeah, that's quick for a skin mount. But this is 'Bama, and a coupla' weeks could mean a month or two. :roll:

Bass here are off the beds normally by the end of April at the latest. So she could have been 10 loaded, but I'm thinking 9.5 tops. Either way it's a nice largemouth. One of my neighbors pulled in a 13.5 pounder last year night fishing in August. It's a private lake and sees very little action, which is nice. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the taxidermist got 'er done on time as promised. I just picked her up since his Dad is out of town and am having a brass name plate etched up with my nephews name, date, weight of the fish, and location of the catch (my back yard) :eek: . It's definitely the same fish, notice the split tail. Will give it to the kid on the July 4th weekend. I think he'll like it...... :D

Image Not Found

That's pretty cool!

You should see some of the fish that are out where I'm on tour... We're providing helicopter services to fishing lodges on the Queen Charlotte islands. A guy last week got a 154lb halibut! And there's been some salmon in the 60 to 70lb range! But the guests are paying over 1000 a day, so I guess they'd better get something good!

I only been fishing once up North, out of Halifax, NS. Long way from you Dirty. :D Went bottom fishing and caught about 1000 cod, haddock, and hake. But I've been fortunate to live in some great fishing places like the Philippines, Guam, and the Marshall Islands, and have caught some big marlin, dolphin, wahoo, barracuda, and various species of tuna. But I get just as much of a kick, maybe more, reeling in a good largemouth or crappie.

That a nice mount, Here is a big pat on the back and a GOOD JOB for you for doing it!!

Next time your in Connecticut look me up.. I'll hook you up with some REAL BASS!! :roll:

These are from last night...

Smallest was just over 40" and 23# biggest was 45" and 37#.

CW

Wow! Nice stripers CW. Must have got them in the Sound. :D So glad to see these fish have come back. They were almost extinct when I lived up there. Believe it or not, there are a few landlocked stripers out back in my lake. Nothing like those monsters though. :bowdown:

I only been fishing once up North, out of Halifax, NS. Long way from you Dirty. :D Went bottom fishing and caught about 1000 cod, haddock, and hake. But I've been fortunate to live in some great fishing places like the Philippines, Guam, and the Marshall Islands, and have caught some big marlin, dolphin, wahoo, barracuda, and various species of tuna. But I get just as much of a kick, maybe more, reeling in a good largemouth or crappie.

Don,

The only way I fished in the PI and Guam was to look at the fish in the eye when I speared 'em with my Hawaiian sling. The Lapu Lapu (grouper) was one of the tastiest fish I have ever had. :D

Don,

The only way I fished in the PI and Guam was to look at the fish in the eye when I speared 'em with my Hawaiian sling. The Lapu Lapu (grouper) was one of the tastiest fish I have ever had. :D

LOL. Lapu Lapu - that brings back memories. I used to go TDY to Diego Garcia out in the Indian Ocean a lot while in the PI. I'd bring a crew on Filipino workes and we'd stay sometimes 2-3 months working comms jobs. This was some of the best fishing in the world. My job was to keep the crew supplied with fresh fish. :D Dayem, best job I ever had. :D We regularly caught 300+ pound lapu lapu from the reef in the 14' Boston Whalers the Navy had there using 500# s/s braided line on a hand rig tied to the bow. We used small live 20 lb. groupers for bait. Some of the stuff we hooked there we had to cut the line so we didn't swamp the boat. :cheers:

The bonefish in the lagoons went up to 25# and we caught them wading in the flats on light tackle. Talk about fun..........