Fish Tale - Strange but True

HOrnbrod

I only been fishing once up North, out of Halifax, NS. Long way from you Dirty. :D Went bottom fishing and caught about 1000 cod, haddock, and hake. But I've been fortunate to live in some great fishing places like the Philippines, Guam, and the Marshall Islands, and have caught some big marlin, dolphin, wahoo, barracuda, and various species of tuna. But I get just as much of a kick, maybe more, reeling in a good largemouth or crappie.

Don,

The only way I fished in the PI and Guam was to look at the fish in the eye when I speared 'em with my Hawaiian sling. The Lapu Lapu (grouper) was one of the tastiest fish I have ever had. :D

LOL. Lapu Lapu - that brings back memories. I used to go TDY to Diego Garcia out in the Indian Ocean a lot while in the PI. I'd bring a crew on Filipino workes and we'd stay sometimes 2-3 months working comms jobs. This was some of the best fishing in the world. My job was to keep the crew supplied with fresh fish. :D Dayem, best job I ever had. :D We regularly caught 300+ pound lapu lapu from the reef in the 14' Boston Whalers the Navy had there using 500# s/s braided line on a hand rig tied to the bow. We used small live 20 lb. groupers for bait. Some of the stuff we hooked there we had to cut the line so we didn't swamp the boat. :cheers:

The bonefish in the lagoons went up to 25# and we caught them wading in the flats on light tackle. Talk about fun..........

Good eatin' those were the days Don, I wish more folks could have seen that fishin'. :cheers: :cheers:

Don, thats going to be one ecstatic young man!

Remind him to take care of his fish.. Might even tell him to let his Dad put it up on the wall somewhere it won't get taking down alot... Those mounts are pretty fragile...

Thanks Bob, can't wait till the little guy sees it. Dayem, I was over 40 before I caught one this big, and that was in the Philippines, in a lake called Laguna De Bay. It was stocked w. largemouths by GIs after WWII, and there's 14-16 pounders there. Never caught one that big though... :cry:

Yeah, the kid even called twice after he got home "Uncle Don, when are we going fishing again?" His Mom said he can't sleep and has been to the freezer a couple of times seeing if his fish is still there. I think we created a fishing monster............. :D

haha nothin' wrong with that at all. sounds like ya'll had a good time though. good size bass too.

also sounds like my little brother when we got home after doing that charter. he just keep going on and on and on about all the fish we caught and kept sayin "we have to go every day" and "we need to go fishin' with captain ron again" he was pretty excited about drivin' the boat as well, and ron gave my little brother a hat and called him captain alex. i didn't think he would ever stop talkin about it.

biggest fish i caught so far was a 22lb. salmon out of the lewis river in washington.

That is a nice largemouth. Make sure the young angler knows just how special it is. In fact, tell him that the game warden at the most famous largemouth lakes in Ca. (Castaic, Casitas) is jealous. He hasn't caught one that big yet.

And hey- CW: Those are some nice Linesiders. jamminz.gif My lakes here kick out some pretty big ones for being landlocked, (40+ in good years) but I'm guessing you guys see a lot more of that size than we do. I have to say, Striper is my favorite flavor.