Quadtrails

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 5'11" I did not hit my head when I checked for head room.

All LKQ u-pull-its are 1/2 price this weekend and I scored big time. I found a 91 four door xj that still had the key in the lock. So at the first yard I got both complete doors with glass, mirrors, and all interior parts, xj proportioning valve, and an xj dome light with map lights to go in the sound bar. All for $86, then We went to another one and I got a dual diaphragm brake booster from a 1998 zj for $11.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my axls out of the shop. I bought new trail master u-bolts and rubicon express center pins for the leafs. I used chevy u-bolt plates. I now have a dana 60 permanently installed in my truck. I installed my new doors. I modified the hinges so that they can be removed quickly. I am going to make 1/2 doors out off my old doors. I was able to drive my comanche today!!! now it is time to start on the front end. I am talking to a guy about picking up my front 8 lug hp 44.

picked up my front axle today. The directions were: head toward amboy go about 15-20 minits, look for the scrapped out travel trailer and mud pits :hmm: Anyways, got a hp Dana 44 warn hubs, 4.10's, the big, 8 lug hubs, and radius arms. Time to tare down the front end. :banana:

Got the front end all torn apart. Put rollers on the 44. Found out it uses 9/16 lug nuts. $2.75 a piece at shucks. 44 has a seized caliper, or at least rusted shut. I snaped a new grade 8 bolt right off so I called it quits for the night. I will deal with that tomorrow. Spent all day today running around for hardware.

• 1 month later...

Built my tierod, 3/4" heims and 1 1/2" 1/4 wall dom. Got one of my radius arms on realized that the two original arms that I bought had stripped bolt holes. So off to u-pull-it tomorrow.

Today was a productive mj day. I figured out that I will have to run a 5/8 bolt to compensate for misalignment spacers on the drag link, so I got new grade 8 hardware, I also had to get new radius arms because the ones that I got with the axle had bad treads. So, I got both radius arms assembled on the axle, then I cut off the LCA mounts and got my radius arm mounts tacked up. jamminz.gif Got my tierod installed. Drank beer image_209027.gifimage_209027.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the trackbar mount and steering box to prepare the unibody for plating. I made a template out of cardboard that I will trace onto the plate.

I am working out a couple issues right now, I am trying to figure out how I want to build my crossmsmber. I think that I need to move my radius arms in more, I will take some pics tomorrow. I just ordered my frame side and axle side mounts for the trackbar from ballistic fabrication. I have been going pretty slow lately, my subi has been costing me a lot of money lately, I just had to put a new windshield in.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics of my radius arm mounts so far. I mocked them up measured, tacked and now have the burned in. Figured that i would post some pics while I'm waiting for metal to cool.

Now back to burning in the frame mounts.

I used poly mounts at the spear end with no apparent ill effects, but the poly C-bushings sucked. They just did not allow for any flex. If you find a source for new rubber C-bushings, let me know. Back in the day I couldn't find anything (although I really haven't looked for them recently).

Yes, frame mount, axle mount and the heims for the trackbar from Ballistic. Now I have to plate the front of my frame so I can weld on the trackbar mount.

I was able to start on my frame plating today. Here's what I was able to get done today between helping eric trim and weld up his bumper.

I started out by making a template out of cardboard.

Then i cut out the first part with a cut off wheel. I used the drill press to drill the holes for the steering box.

Next I drilled about 30 holes for plug welds and then bolted the plate in place with the steering box bolts.

After that I filled all the plug welds and welded the two ends.

Now on the the rear.... BTW I am using 1/8" plate and I was able to get the steel to bend around the curves in the frame with a c-clamp.

There is much more to come tomorrow. I am going to weld the entire perimeter of the plating. I will go farther back later. There are 75 plug welds to be exact.