Hypothetical Situation (There is a Tech ? In here somewhere)

** The Names of the involved parties have been changed for their protection **

A semi-hypothetical situation... of course... :oops:

Someone might have been working on taking off the Alternator off of a particular 87 MJ because it was basically new to install on another 89 MJ (because the one on the 89 appeared old and crusty). So while getting ready to take off the serpentine belt, it's "possible" that the hero of our story somehow jammed a screwdriver into the radiator, causing Antifreeze to quickly slurp everywhere in the garage. The story isn't really centered on how or why a big ole screwdriver got jammed into the radiator, but more about the replacement radiator. (although the hero would feel awful silly for jamming said screwdriver into the radiator, assuming this story were true).

Said person was "given" a nearly new Radiator as part of the purchase of the 87 MJ and was told that it was good and the previous owner didn't have a vehicle to use it in and wanted it out of his garage.

So the tech question really falls back to how would the "replacement" radiator be tested to ensure it actually was good before going to the trouble of installing it.

For those of you who made it this far in the post, the Serp Belt was eventually removed, and nearly new alternator was removed for swapage into the other MJ (which hasn't yet happened). There may also be a swapage of a nearly new starter and exhaust from the 87 to the 89 as well, but those will be story's for another night.

:mad:

I don't change things till they fail or show signs of failing. To me jeep components do not time-expire. My MJ has the factory starter... My old XJ had the factory starter. They were built better it seems.

Anyways, I'm not sure how you normally test a rad. However, I'd just swap it in and see if it works. A rad takes a couple hours the first time, eventually you'll get it down to a half hour or less. But if that's really not your ball game, I think you can plug the inlet/outlet, fill it with water, then connect about 10psi of shop air to it and see if it weaps or leaks. Not worth the trouble if you ask me...

I'm am confused. How does one jam a screwdriver into the rad when a screwdriver is not a needed tool in the changing of the serpentine belt. Or alternator.

I said that was not an important part of the "story" or one that I'm terribly proud to talk about...Lets just say the pully part (not the right term I know) that you loosen to take the serp belt off was being stubborn and I decided a Big ole screwdriver would somehow help the stubborness... it didn't and put a hole in my radiator... No main Fan Shroud or Aux Fan (on the driver side, which is odd cause my 89 has one) to "protect" the radiator.

sw2

I'm am confused. How does one jam a screwdriver into the rad when a screwdriver is not a needed tool in the changing of the serpentine belt. Or alternator.

I said that was not an important part of the "story" or one that I'm terribly proud to talk about...Lets just say the pully part (not the right term I know) that you loosen to take the serp belt off was being stubborn and I decided a Big ole screwdriver would somehow help the stubborness... it didn't and put a hole in my radiator... No main Fan Shroud or Aux Fan (on the driver side, which is odd cause my 89 has one) to "protect" the radiator.

sw2

Point taken.

Some advice, however. If the adjuster is being stubborn, best thing you could do is remove the airbox so you can actually get in there, and then tap the adjustment bolt with a hammer. Airbox takes about 2 minutes to pull out. If the bolts are nice.

I said that was not an important part of the "story" or one that I'm terribly proud to talk about...Lets just say the pully part (not the right term I know) that you loosen to take the serp belt off was being stubborn and I decided a Big ole screwdriver would somehow help the stubborness... it didn't and put a hole in my radiator... No main Fan Shroud or Aux Fan (on the driver side, which is odd cause my 89 has one) to "protect" the radiator.sw2

Happy to see I'm not the only one who likes to poke holes in radiators. You, sir, now have a shot for the IDIOT OF THE MONTH award. Stand proud! :D

I said that was not an important part of the "story" or one that I'm terribly proud to talk about...Lets just say the pully part (not the right term I know) that you loosen to take the serp belt off was being stubborn and I decided a Big ole screwdriver would somehow help the stubborness... it didn't and put a hole in my radiator... No main Fan Shroud or Aux Fan (on the driver side, which is odd cause my 89 has one) to "protect" the radiator.sw2

Happy to see I'm not the only one who likes to poke holes in radiators. You, sir, now have a shot for the IDIOT OF THE MONTH award. Stand proud! :D

Not a distinction that I really want, but probably one that I really deserve!

As long as you both understand I've got Moron of the Month locked down You can officially relieve Hornbrod of his award. :D

Not to worry. There are LOTs of months -- both behind us and ahead of us. Those of us who haven't already qualified are just potential winners in the future ...

Back to the basic question -- if you don't know a friendly local radiator shop that will run a quick pressure test on the "new" radiator for you, just fill it with water as already suggested. The key is to figure out some way to both close off the two hose outlets, and to be able to pressurize it. The 10 psi suggested above should do it -- you shouldn't go any higher than 15 psi or you could blow up even a good radiator.

Back to the basic question -- if you don't know a friendly local radiator shop that will run a quick pressure test on the "new" radiator for you, just fill it with water as already suggested. The key is to figure out some way to both close off the two hose outlets, and to be able to pressurize it. The 10 psi suggested above should do it -- you shouldn't go any higher than 15 psi or you could blow up even a good radiator.

I just did this today with the aluminum rad I poked holes in. The holes (there were two) were small, and easy to get to on the core fins. I cleaned them up with alcohol and a small brass wire brush, then swabbed a bit of JB Weld into the holes with a toothpick, then pinched them together w. needlenose pliars, put another light coat of JB and let it set for 24 hours. Brought it to our friendly neighborhood rad shop today and had it pressure tested at 14 lbs. for an hour since that's the rating of my cap. NO LEAKS! So I now have a spare. Rad shop charged me $5, but I gave him $10. :cheers:

Meh... I took the old one out in about 30 minutes last night... I just have to drop the "newer" one in and hope that it's not leaky too... It seems like it's going to be easier to do my own "test" than try to find someone to test it for me... not a hard process to yank it out really..

Wade

Meh... I took the old one out in about 30 minutes last night... I just have to drop the "newer" one in and hope that it's not leaky too... It seems like it's going to be easier to do my own "test" than try to find someone to test it for me... not a hard process to yank it out really..Wade

True, pulling and re-installing the rad is simple and fast. I just hate going through draining the coolant, refilling, the "burping" crap, over and over. Plus the cost of replacing antifreeze if needed. Worth $10 to do it only once. Know what I mean Vern? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well when you fill it by the upper hose the fluid is going into the block through the bottom hose,, so your going to be adding fluid until it comes out of the upper hose housing.. so then the bottle and heater core might hold a gallon,,, so Id say around 2 gal through the upper hose...

Thats just a guess though....

Well when you fill it by the upper hose the fluid is going into the block through the bottom hose,, so your going to be adding fluid until it comes out of the upper hose housing.. so then the bottle and heater core might hold a gallon,,, so Id say around 2 gal through the upper hose...

Thats just a guess though....

Yah that's just about what went in before I splashed fluid all over me garage floor about 20 minutes ago...weeee...

Sw2

don't let your animals drink that stuff!! well unless its some pesky stinkin skunks...

so it was 2 gal?

I think just under... I had 2 Gals, but one had just a little out of it for a top off in my father in laws ride...

No Animals, unless you talk about the 3 year old twins or the family of skunks...