One of the cleanest MJ's I have ever seen...but for $5K

robfg67

5K is the starting price not the reserve. I'll bet his reserve is anywhere between 8-10k. Very nice but what pisses me off is this statement,

WHY AM I SELLING SUCH A RARE PIECE OF JEEP HISTORY? SIMPLE, I BOUGHT IT FROM A FRIEND OF MINE THAT TOOK IT IN ON TRADE AT HIS HONDA DEALERSHIP.I BOUGHT IT FROM THEM FOR A BARGAIN AND I'm FLIPPING IT FOR A SLIGHT MARGIN!

I don't care what dealership you go to, they are not going to give you but a few hundred at best over book. So he's trying to make bank on maybe a $1500-$2000 investment. True I'd try to flip it for a good penny but I wouldn't say doubling or tripling my money is a SLIGHT MARGIN.

Actually, I lied. I would never sell it. Especially if I got it at the bargin he did.

Why is he yelling? Sounds like a used car salesman...

He said he had the custome tonneau cover made a few months ago. If he's flipping it for a "small" margin, he would not have had it for months without fixing the clearcoat spot or the dent in the tailgate. Therefore he drove it for while, found out he paid too much for it, and decided to sell it to recover his money before putting too much wear on the truck. I wouldn't be surprised if this truck saw salt for the first time this winter, and will probably show rust before summer is over.

My guess is the auction will end without a single bid, and we will see it again in 2 months or so.

I think he'd maybe get $5k or close to it if he didn't start bidding there.

As always, way too many assumpitions or "what if's" regarding true condition w/out seeing and driving it, but that truck is damn sure worth more than $2500 if all is accurate. No, I would not pay $5k but I don't see any reason why that truck isn't worth mid $3s to low $4s IMO.

Agreed. But if yours was 4wd, it would have been $3k minimum. In any local market you may find a gem like that and get a deal, but for the masses finding one is very difficult because a lot of those small dealers only advertise locally (if at all!) or regionally and can't be found online. Point being, it IS difficult to find rust free, super low mileage 6cyl 4x4 MJs and if those are important requirements for a potential buyer, supply and demand will support a higher price when offered to a larger group of potential buyers, i.e. eBay.

By the way, nice rig. I like the beadlocks on the black wheels.

Nice look'n truck but still only worth 2500 - 3000 it doesn't have anything special but a chrome grille. As far as the engine; my buddy Ted and I just picked a 4.0 H/O,auto and transfer case W/ 59,000 and some change for his Cherokee. $650 bucks and it was cut out of the donor w/ a torch and all we had to do was pay and park while they loaded it in the bed with a hyster. Then tie it down and drive home...whew hard work.

It's this hillbilly scrap yard. They are only interested in metal; steel, aluminum, copper, brass. It's off in the woods, locals get their parts there, but they are not a salvage yard per say. I've known the guys Jim Garlock and his brothers, Bob and Alain SINCE BACK IN THE 70'S when we were kids their Dad did have an auto salvage close to town so we used to go out and pull stuff for him just so we could drive trucks when we were unlicensed. They cut stuff out like that so they can separate the aluminum and cast from the steel. I've seen them smash perfectly good trannies and cases with a sledge. That's also where I got the YJ FRONT FAUX 44, another drive down let put it in the bed and drive home. Had it two weeks, then Ted brought up his brother Mick, he trashed his front axle and needed a replacement w/ 4:10's. So the barter began; whadda ya want fo it? whadda ya give me? How much, Swopey? I have alot invested in it. I give ya $450. Sold. I only paid $250 for it. Problem with the place is they only get completely broken down ancient equipment and insurance wrecks so ya gotta watch what your buy'n. Interior and exterior parts are mostly aways bent beyond recognition or brain matter and blood stained. Just too creepy for me to sit on or have in my truck.

I couldn't charge you a finders fee after you sold me the truck you did for such a good deal and delivered it. But we could have a couple Elephant beers next time if you have the time.

Yah that's worth the price he paid for it a little more even. I woulda probably stayed away from it because it's a 6 cylinder. But thats because I have all these 4 cylinder parts. I like the 26 - 28 mpg vs 17 mpg. If I were buying a manche without having parts...snatch in a heart beat.

• 3 weeks later...