Turd bomb. (A pavement bound MJ)

Hey all. I've been lurking around the boards for a while, but don't post much. I figured I'd show you this truck I'm building right now. It came to me as a 2wd, 4 speed, 4 cylinder with a messed up fender, and very little rust issues. After trying to get it running, I found out it needed a timing chain, and I was tired of dumping money into it, so I bought a 350.

The bad side.

The bed is in really good shape

Here's another MJ with no title that I took a crap load of parts from.

Turd brown interior...

I won't post all the disassembly pics, but you can go to my photobucket to see those.

I put a set of seats from a 98 explorer in there, it required me to make new seat brackets, and cut out the transfer case hump, since the new seats sit much lower, and are much wider. They're also a lot farther back but have 10 inches of forward movement, about 6 inches upward, and they air up and down, full power.

Here's the SBC I bought for it. It's already built with edelbrock AL heads, MSD ignition, accel coil, holley fuel pump, and holley dist.

I also picked up a Borg-Warner Super T10 for it :D with a hurst super shifter and hydraulic throwout bearing. I have the 8.8 from that explorer with disc and 3.73 posi. I'm going to keep it like that until I run it for a while to see how I like the gears, then I'm buying an ected from my buddy and I can regear if I want to when we install that. I've got autometer gauges for it also, and an 01 front clip. I'm planning on starting the swap today, and when I'm done I'm taking it to my engine guy so he can get me the compression ratio. If the ratio is 10.5 or higher, we're going to deck the heads and get it up around 11.5 or 12. If the ratio is less than 10.5:1, we're going to get a lower compression set of pistons to get it down around 8 or 8.5, jet the carb for E85, and run an intercooled turbo setup on it. I'm also toying with the idea of having my local fab shop do a flatbed on it, since that'll let me put nice wide tires on it, and I think it'll look sweet. I can also sell my bed for a little of my money back, and I won't have to slick it down perfect and paint it and bedliner it.

This post is getting a little long, so I'll stop. I'll update you tonight after I mess with it for a few hours.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always a fan of the V8 in the MJ. Whats your plan for the front end?

It's staying 2wd. As much as I'd love to try building an IFS setup under it, I can't bear to spend that much time on it. I'd rather just pick up an old camaro.

I got the old engine and tranny out today, and have some degreaser working on the engine bay. I didn't get as far as I thought since I had to cut my damned lawn, then the rain was blowing in under my carport a little.

The engine is installed on the mounts. This weekend I'll start wiring it up, and try to figure out how I'm going to make the crossmember reach up to the transmission.

I did have a 2 day setback, I put the damned mount perches on the wrong sides and it was pushing the engine up 3 inches higher than it was supposed to be, so I couldn't get the holes to line up because it was hitting the transmission hump. :headpop: I wasn't happy.

Yeh, they don't look like much, because I've got a lot of work to do, but here you go.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The shifter will probably be a little bit lower, the transmission is still on a jack: awaiting a mount, in the mail.

The way I have it figured, once I get my suspension lined out, tires installed (big wide back, short wide front) and transmission mounted, the engine/tranny should sit near perfectly level on level ground.

The dist has plenty of room, the passenger side UCA is pretty close to the starter but I think it'll be ok. The pan is pretty close to the axle right now, but it's an 8qt pan, so I can always change that. I'm not planning on lowering it, I like where it's setting with the stock springs. We'll see what it looks like when I get sheetmetal hung though. I'm planning on 15x10's and putting low and wide tires on the front.

Got it fired up today, I'll have to run the holley fuel pump, since it barely runs on the stock one. Unless I can just crank up the regulator.

There's a video posted below. See if you can figure out what the whining whistle is.

I'm pretty sure it's the air whipping through the empty power steering pump, since it has no lines on it, and the flywheel has space all the way around.

I'll be investigating that tomorrow.

Got the stock fuel pump to run off ignition, instead of momentary then waiting for signal. Got the throttle cable hooked up. Time to get a timing light on it, and get the regulator dialed in. I'll probably get the radiator done up first, so I don't have to worry about the temp. I dropped off an alternator at a local shop today to have them build a 1 wire alt out of it, so all I have to do is plug it to the battery.

The alternator and water pump run off the same belt, and without that belt, the whistling sound is gone, so it was just the air moving through the water pump.

Can't wait to work on it tomorrow. Progress has been steady.

well u beet me to it I'm puttin a 400 in my 2x4 sweet job dude those motor are easy did u use advanced slip headres or re manifolds????

I've actually just cut the collector off the headman headers, there's really no room, we're probably going to make something custom. What did you go with?

I'm going to spend a little time working on the interior now. My conscious starts getting to me when I start this thing, because it sounds like an obnoxious harley sitting next to another obnoxious harley at 2k rpm. Soon as I get my transmission mount and my driveshaft, I'll be taking it to the exhaust shop.

For now I'm going to work on the guage cluster. I'm using a thin piece of oak to cut out the size of the original cluster and mount all my autometer gauges into. Once it's cut, I'll put a little stain on it, and finish it. Also, since I'm thinking of having a flat bed made, I may do a metal frame with oak planks in the middle, since it won't really be a haulin' truck.

Also, I need to patch the original hole for the shifter, since it's closer to the driver now, behind where the t-case shifter would be. I have a 2001 XJ center console, but I don't know if the holes are in the right spot, I'll probably have to cut it up.

I'll post pics if I get anything done.

2 and a half so far, I'm not done!

Billybob, I saw that post and the headers, but I think I want a different style. I'm going to end up making my own (my fab guy will do the hard stuff) to get optimal* flow out of them. How much were those headers on yours?

*Optimal, given the circumstances.

The main issue with using the AA kit is if you plan on being 4wd. You need at least 3" of lift, and it moves the engine over to the passenger side 1".. which is good for ppl running driver drop axles... for ppl like me it sucks :eek:

Advance Adapters 717053-NP thats the part number summit has em or advanced adapers obviosly it was the ones they say in the hand book that came with the motor mounts to be honest block huggers fit on the passenger side but u got to put in factor engine flex and thes were pretty tight on the passenger side the were 280 bucks