whats 4 lunch

camo89

Never had Alabama fried chicken Don, so I can't comment ;) I had some in Tennessee a couple years ago, and it was not good. It's funny, up in PA there were two local places that did fried chicken (actually "broasted") that were the gold standard, everyone got their chicken for every event (weddings, cookouts, reunions, etc.). We all grew up eating it. After moving down here and tasting the real deal, my wife and I can't stomach the hometown stuff anymore.

Jeff

Gixxer, that's funny. I was trying to decide whether or not to give Hornbrod the nutkick.gif

I would say that from VA down Yard Bird is arguably left to individual tastes in that the differences are very subtle in the seasoning and the batter. That being said, best I'VE ever had is from the Old Virginia Wayside in Charlottesville, VA. Little joint off of Jefferson Park Ave near the UVa football stadium. And oh my god, the best friggin baked beans ever. The amazing thing about this little place is that on gameday, you've got people piling in there one after the other ordering buckets and sides on top of those who called in large 50 pc. tray orders, and you'll still be out the door in 10 mins. heading to your tailgate. One Saturday this past season I was in there getting a bucket for the game and this guy walks in, stares at the menu board for a minute, then says he'll have the cheeseburger. The lady looks at him in surprise, pauses, and then says, "uh sir, the only thing we cook on gameday is chicken". It's shoulder to shoulder in there and everybody's just kinda snickering and thinking the same thing.......................ROOKIE :thwak:

at least we're not talking about barbecue.............

:popcorn:

Jeff

Funny you should mention BBQ... for lunch today was going to woof down a big pile of Pulled Pork that I smoked a while back... not sure if that will happen or not... My personal fav... I can do the Brisket (unless it's burnt ends) and Chicken and Ribs (prefer smoking Spares to B-Backs, and don't really go for the Beef "Dino" ribs), but I always go back to the Pulled Pork Shoulder... YUMMMM!

at least we're not talking about barbecue.............

:popcorn: Jeff

Now barbecue's a different story Jeff. VA has some of the best barbeque in the world, especially in the Shenandoah areas. There uses to be a place on 460 in Lynchburg that when you came down the mountain you could see the clouds of hickory smoke coming out of the place on a clear day. Best I've ever had. Place looked like hell, but served some great chow. Fried chicken wasn't too bad either. :cheers:

Had the three piece special from the local market, with collard greens and mac and cheese (with hot sauce, too), plus roll and butter and sweet tea.

It may be a stereotype of sorts, but the South makes the best dang fried chicken, hands down ;)

Now I'm home brewin' up dinner, and swillin' Bud Lime's.....

Jeff

That sounded so good last night when I read it.

Today I had sausage meatballs, collard greens butter and onion in chicken broth with acini de pepe. Now that thar was GOOOOOOD!

brigar/MJeff, Pennsylvanians LOOOOOVE their wedding soup (basically what you made, right?) NEVER had it before I moved to Pittsburgh, now it is BY FAR my favorite soup.

Jeff, I was waiting for the BBQ to come up. But Hornbrod, I can't believe you gave up that easy on that subject with the world famous Dreamland down there. "Ribs so good make you wanna smack your momma" as they say on the T-shirst there. I had the pleasure of indulging from the original Tuscaloosa location on a college road-trip to see the Bama-Auburn game.

I could probably eat BBQ, in all it's variations, every day for the rest of my life. Hmmm, hadn't had lunch yet, time to go!

Dog gone Wahoo your good. Yep Italian wedding soup. I just love them lil round macaroni.

Speaking of Ribs. The Local Firehouse sponsers a Fair/Carnival every summer. They make open pit Ribs with just about whatever you want on them. Every year I go down and every year I come back so full I'm sick but have 4 containers in the cooler for later. I believe these to be the best I've ever had bar none.

Wahoo, you forget (or maybe I never mentioned it), but I was a professional chef for about 16 years, up until '99 when I blew my knee up and couldn't walk for over a year.....now I'm a fat lazy state employee who buys food instead of cooking it :chillin:

The best food is kept simple with good ingredients, with proper cooking technique. Let the flavor come out of the food, don't try to add flavor to it

Jeff

Jeff, I was waiting for the BBQ to come up. But Hornbrod, I can't believe you gave up that easy on that subject with the world famous Dreamland down there. "Ribs so good make you wanna smack your momma" as they say on the T-shirst there. I had the pleasure of indulging from the original Tuscaloosa location on a college road-trip to see the Bama-Auburn game.

I could probably eat BBQ, in all it's variations, every day for the rest of my life. Hmmm, hadn't had lunch yet, time to go!

Yeah, I eat at Dreamland quite a bit (one of my daughters is attending UA in Tuscaloosa), but the Lynchburg, VA place was even better. I think they opened the place up during the Civil War :eek: Wonder if it's still there.....

Jeff, no idea you were a chef. Awesome! I love to cook and am the one who feeds our family every night. Funny, I thought I'd cook up something nice when we get together to work on the trucks. Maybe I'll just pay the grocery tab and sit back and enjoy! Very cool.........

Wahoo, you forget (or maybe I never mentioned it), but I was a professional chef for about 16 years, up until '99 when I blew my knee up and couldn't walk for over a year.....now I'm a fat lazy state employee who buys food instead of cooking it :chillin:

The best food is kept simple with good ingredients, with proper cooking technique. Let the flavor come out of the food, don't try to add flavor to it

Jeff

Aman brother!! Why can't ppl realize that?? I tell my ol lady that all the time,, just a lil pepper is all you need, but ohhh no,, I added a lil of this ,this,this,this,this,this. . . . . . . . . . .......... Good god woman... lol

Please clarify about the final 15 secs. Do you set it on "full nuke", "half nuke", or "Barbie Bakery Oven"? I'm writing this down to go in my recipe file. :brows:

Full nuke. 8) If you come out with a recipe book this summer I better get credit. :laughin:

And I put it on a napkin on a plate. When you nuke bread it tends to throw off moisture and that can lead to a soggy bread.

I'm disappointed. I was sure it was 15 seconds with a MAP gas torch, mmmm toasty. :cheers: