Front Grill Conversion

ebay.. pretty good deals on there from aftermarket vendors. Just watch cause cheap parts are cheap parts. I hear the ebay header panels and fenders fit like crap. I used OEM parts and it fit great. The grilles and lights are cheap and plenty available on ebay, can't really go wrong wih quailty on those.

Someone in RI (Oceanstatejeeps or something like that) sells entire header panel/grill/lights assemblies including wiring harness every few weeks on Ebay. They are take-offs off Cherokees.

But I'd guess any junkyard would be a good start, if for no other reason then to check how much they want for it.

If you also want to do the fenders, for some reason junkyards (at least in my area) wanto $30-$40 for one, even though new ones are <$30 from Keystone. But from a junkyard you might be able to get one with the flare and liner still attached for no extra money.

Are you asking about a "grille" conversion, as the thread title implies, or are you asking about converting to the '97+ Cherokee front end ... which is a LOT more than just a grille?

Just for a FYI for mine i picked up a non running 2-door XJ. Well it ran, but missed and had low compression. Got it dirt cheap. So i used it for parts and sold what i didnt need to re-coupe the costs. In the end, i broke even and had 97+ buckets, console, and all the front end parts. Just a thought. Try to find a blown up 97+ XJ and use it for parts.

To make the conversion complete and correct, you will need:

Grille

Header

Bumper

Splash apron (not sure what it's called)

Both fenders

Both side marker lights

Both parking lights

Both flares

?? Both headlight bezels ??

What am I forgetting?

To make the conversion complete and correct, you will need:

Grille

Header

Bumper

Splash apron (not sure what it's called)

Both fenders

Both side marker lights

Both parking lights

Both flares

?? Both headlight bezels ??

What am I forgetting?

Just the 2 prong harness for the front lights but that a nice to do. Plug and play.

No write up needed. Its all bolt on. Simply unbolt your fenders and bolt the new fenders/header panel on. Only semi diffucult thing is splicing in the new turn signal sockets. Which if you are taking fenders off, you probably know how to crimp wires. :cheers:

So basically buying a parts jeep is almost neccesary. After I have aqquired all of the parts is it simply bolt onto the pre-existing holes? has anyone done a write up on this conversion? Thanks for all your input.

No write up needed. Its all bolt on. Simply unbolt your fenders and bolt the new fenders/header panel on. Only semi diffucult thing is splicing in the new turn signal sockets. Which if you are taking fenders off, you probably know how to crimp wires. :cheers:

I bought the grill on e-bay a while ago and it sat on a shell in the garage for about 3 years. When I put in my tranny cooler, I held it up just to see how different the mounting holes were and figured out it will just "snap in" and stay in place. I put the zip tie on to make sure it didn't fall off. Been like that for over a year. Yes cheap and easy and so far, kind of unique.

Or you can cheat like I did and just put a 97+ grill on an 89 without all the other stuff :D

Yes, the 7-slot definitely looks great, especially in chrome. :D Wish I could use one on my 91, but the grille styles changed in 91 and the upper molding strip was part of the grille and headlight doors instead of a separate piece.

Or you can cheat like I did and just put a 97+ grill on an 89 without all the other stuff :D

Yes, the 7-slot definitely looks great, especially in chrome. :D Wish I could use one on my 91, but the grille styles changed in 91 and the upper molding strip was part of the grille and headlight doors instead of a separate piece.

I have a 91, and I just ordered one of those grills so I will let everyone know what it takes to mount it on a 91. As Hornbrod knows I grew up in the U.S, Navy and in Subic Bay, we pride ourselves on adapting and making things works. :cheers:

I have a 91, and I just ordered one of those grills so I will let everyone know what it takes to mount it on a 91. As Hornbrod knows I grew up in the U.S, Navy and in Subic Bay, we pride ourselves on adapting and making things works. :cheers:

Aye, how true matey. :cheers: Please let me how if this works JeepDoggy.

The wife and daughter #1 just left for the PI this morning to see her sick mother in Manila. I get to stay home and take care of daughter #2. :cry:

• 7 years later...