Line-X is done...now I'm pissed...

BLHTAZ

Got the bed sprayed today. We had a $100 gift card that we won in a raffle at a Jeep show so we wanted to get the MJ done. Here is what it looks like...

Here is what I am pissed about. To start with...you can see the chips of paint he ripped of when removing the tape (pics below point it out) after the job was done. He said it is something that happens to trucks that have been painted, BUT never bothered to say anything about the possibility of that before he did the work. He then has the balls to charge $60 more than quoted because he didn't tell me about the extra charge for doing the "over the rail" part. :rant: We ended up paying $456 for this AFTER the $100 gift card was deducted :mad: . I am feeling quite raped at this point and I will not recommend Line-X to anyone...EVER!! I could have had the job done at another place (different brand) for less without the $100 GC. :roll:

The fact that one particular applicator franchise is less than ethical doesn't mean that Line-X is a bad product. You shouldn't bad-mouth the product, but I certainly would agree that you not only should not recommend that applicator, you probably should also tell anyone who asks exactly why you're unhappy.

However, be careful to stick to facts. You don't want to exaggerate to the point that the guy can nail you for slander. Saying, "I'm unhappy and I think he overcharged me for a poor job" is clearly your opinion, which you are entitled to express. Saying, "He's a crook and a rip-off" is slanderous ... unless you can prove that he's a crook and a rip-off.

Ouch! I think you were raped. I had mine done 18 months ago by a LineX here, but not the "over the rail" part; just up to the bed inside edges and the inside tailgate. $280 + tax. I'm sure the prices have gone up, but I wouldn't think that much. :eek:

Ouch! I think you were raped. I had mine done 18 months ago by a LineX here, but not the "over the rail" part; just up to the bed inside edges and the inside tailgate. $280 + tax. I'm sure the prices have gone up, but I wouldn't think that much. :eek:

Oh, and mine was a long bed.

Sorry to see this concerning the paint... bed inside sure looks nice!!

Eagle has good advice, go back after you cool off and lodge a formal complaint. Line X is a big operation, there has to be someone who you can speak with and get satisfaction!!

CW

Looks to me like some chemical reaction took place either from improperly prepping the bed or sum thun in the liner product that softend your paint to the point of losing its adhesion. Painters tape doesn't usually rip off old paint.

You should demand that those areas be repainted and if he won't follow thru get some bids on the repair & take him to small claims court for restitution.

I am going to get an estimate to have it repaired and we are going to fight. The driver side paint is only a matter of 6-8 months old as the whole side was fresh painted after my wife got hit by a teenager a while back.

I am not after the brand...just this one worthless dumbass that screwed up my truck and overcharged me for it.

x2 on the Actual Line-X'ed part looking nice, at least from the pics...I don't have a Line-X or Rhino or otherwise within a short distance, or a few hundred dollars right now, but that sure looks nice...

Sorry about the negative part...that sucks...

Wade

Liner looks good but yeah that sucks with the workmanship. I would call the Line-x headquarters and log a complaint. This may not be the first time that installer has screwed up. They have the power to pull their franchise from him if he is not properly installing their product. It's worth a try.

:cheers:

...as a follow up, did you (or the line-x guy) do much prep? How was your Bed condition before?

Yeah Brett, we all have lots of advice, but it all boils down to the "over the rail". This is not the norm for spray on bedliners, and for sure this guy should have warned you about the possible consequences (and the extra charge), unless he's never done one like this before. If the previous body work you had done and the prep and paint for the bed sides was done properly, no way pulling the masking tape should pull the paint off. If the "over the rail" job was not requested, this looks like it would have been a bang-up job. Still too many $$ though, IMHO.

Besides the paint I would be pissed off about the emblem unless they asked you before installing it. I would have also made them remove the window sticker because I paid for a bedliner not a sticker.

I would never left without the sticker removed, the price being lowered due to the paint damage and they would be paying me to leave the emblem in the bed or removing it and redoing the job so I couldn't tell it was ever there....

If they want me to advertise for them they better be paying me.... For every month I leave the sticker and emblem on.....

They are responsible for your paint damage unless you signed a waiver in advance.

I would bet they would be paying me back for the entire job if not more by the time it was done right. If not I would park in the street in front of the shop and show/tell all the customers the quality of work they do unless they fixed for me.

Here is a sample of what I've done in the past...

When I buy a car after we settle on a price I ask how much they are paying me to run their licence plates, frames and sticker. I refused to pickup on my SRT-4. They weren't going to let me walk away since I paid for it in full with cash...

I bought the car before it was even unloaded and told them no stickers, plate frames or plates. They removed the stickers, waxed the decklid,removed plates and frames. Then they ordered a new fascia because the upper screws were too long and hit the fascia leaving 2 holes in it... :roll: It also had put 3 miles on it and all the nubs were worn off the front tires and the rears still looked like new, that cost them a $200.00 Mopar Gift card.

When the new fascia was installed they detailed the entire car. I also verified the mileage before and after to make sure they weren't out hammering on it. I also grease sticked the tires to check for wear...

Yes...I am happy with the "looks' of the liner itself as he did a great job on that.

I have already removed the sticker from the back glass, but the emblen under the liner in the corner is...well, we're going to talk about that too.

Problem is...I had Tina (wife) do all of this and I did not see the truck until she had gone and paid for it and brought it home. The shop is 3 blocks from where she works so it was easy for her to just drop it off before work and pick it up after. He pointed out the paint chips to her, but she didn't think I would care much because we intend to repaint the whole truck again anyway, but not immediately. I guess she has a point, but it's still aggrivating to have this happen.

Anyway... Tina is going to haul a couple loads of Lava Rock this weekend for a landscaping project she is working on so we'll see how it holds up ;) .

I have received advice frm a bank disputes employee as well as a lawyer. I am going to talk to Roger (the owner) one time and see if he is willing to work with me to come to some agreement on what is a fair solution to this. If not, I have a plan of attack now for getting some action out of him.

If anyone is interested... Click here for .PDF file of the receipt/agreement. Please notice the lack of any initials or signature.

I have received advice frm a bank disputes employee as well as a lawyer. I am going to talk to Roger (the owner) one time and see if he is willing to work with me to come to some agreement on what is a fair solution to this. If not, I have a plan of attack now for getting some action out of him.

If anyone is interested... Click here for .PDF file of the receipt/agreement. Please notice the lack of any initials or signature.

The lack of any initals and signitures are great for you.

I would say it's not a contract that will stand-up. jamminz.gif

There is a disclaimer on the top right that says LineX is not responsible for paint damage from the removal of masking tape...

I wonder how many times this has happened??

I don't know man ,,but they might have their butts covered just by that..

I hope it works out for you though..

When I bought my chevy truck, after about a month I carried it down to the Line-X place. They quoted me 2 different prices.. one for over the rail... and one for under. They also explained to me that paint peeling especially if the paint isnt "cured" is possible. Speaking form what lil experience I have at body work, and painting vehicles.. Paint normally isnt considered cured for 6-12 months depending on what process is used

When I bought my chevy truck, after about a month I carried it down to the Line-X place. They quoted me 2 different prices.. one for over the rail... and one for under. They also explained to me that paint peeling especially if the paint isnt "cured" is possible. Speaking form what lil experience I have at body work, and painting vehicles.. Paint normally isnt considered cured for 6-12 months depending on what process is used
Yea...and I just went and checked after reading your post. It has been just 6 months since it was painted, so maybe I should have waited a little longer. The fact remains, however, that we were not told about hte possibility of this prior to the job being done and that is the part that I am going to fight over. I would never have done the over the rail part if I had now of this distinct possibility.

• 1 month later...

Hey Brent... any word on if this was ever "resolved" to your satisfaction?

I'm now in the "market" for a spray in Liner and there is a LineX and Rhino Lining shop in the area, so I just wanted to see if this guy took care of you or not...