Comanches and Beer...

Catatonic Comanche

During my painful waiting stage of trying to find the source of that damned interior leak and saving my spare change for replacement carpet, etc., I find it comforting to wax my Comanche, dream of the masterpiece I plan to create and have a beer on the side!

Is there nothing that beer cannot cure?

:cheers:

Is there nothing that beer cannot cure? :cheers:

Alcohol poisoning? :drool:

Have you tried turning on the hose and watching for leaks? I tore out the inside and then spread baby powder around the floor of my Dakota in an effort to track down a leak.

Same principle (using the dust/dirt) helped track down a leak in my 86 that started at the top of the windshield and trickled down inside the A-pillars on it's way to the floor.

Too many beers would make me sleepy long before any type of poisoning would set in! Its just great to come in from a hard day's work, work on the truck and have a beer! :cheers:

Actually, I just had the cracked winshield replaced and believe that the old winshield had a leak at the bottom. Believe it or not, I never could get a hose to recreate that leak! Only during a long and slow steady rain would the very slow leak emerge...

"Beer Good!"...

There is another possible, more sinister reason for leak. First need to know a few 'symptoms' as in is your carpet wet and if so is it wet under the carpet? The other area it could be leaking is within the cowling (that would be the more sinister reason) :headpop: .

Roadless,

I heard that, man! This was the ultimate leak from hell and yes, it was getting under the carpet. On top of that, mice started camping out in my engine compartment...those little bastards!

I started sprinkling poison pellets underneath my Comanche and those little bastards gathered up the pellets and stored them in the drainage holes in the hood of the truck! I then issued a fatwa and declared jihad on the mice by using an empty Clorox jug with a couple of mouse-sized holes and lacing it with peanut-butter flavored poison blocks that were too heavy for the mice to carry away to store...they eat their fill and then go off and die. Anyway, the mouse problem is over...

Pingpong,

LOL!

Those damned mice LOL. As far as the leaking water goes, i would first check the cowl drain to make sure its not plugged. Turn on the hose and run a small trickle of water down the cowl vent (being careful not to get any on the windshileld. Then crawl under near your starter and look for a black drain tube (about 1/2 inch) near the firewall. There should be water coming out of it, if not, clean the drain hose out (i would clean it out anyway).

Let me know how this works and whether or not it stops leaking on your carpet. Dan. :banana:

Yea, its a good idea to look for other points of entry, such as what Pete experienced, cuz if its not coming from a small hole or blocked drain, its more than likely the 'leak from hell' and there are only two ways that i know of to fix it.

1. Involves dropping your steering column, removing just about everything below the dash, and getting the entire dash to hinge away from the cab side firewall, just to gain access! By far the most difficult.

2. Easier way involves removing your wipers and cowl cover and cutting a hole in the cowling itself. here's the best link i have been able to find in order to do this: http://myweb.cableone.net/lreith/XJ_leak/leak.htm

BTW, my son and i will be doing #2 on his XJ soon. Hopefully we can do a little cleaner job than the fellar did to his! :cheers:

try looking down on the back wall. mine leaks around the back window. for some reason there two holes in the body at the top two corners of the rear window that the rubber gasket covers up :nuts:

it would run down in the open space in the back wall, run in under the carpet and fill up the floor board. only reason i found out it was leaking is because after a hot day, if i pulled out my rubber floor mats there would be condensation on the bottom. Currently my carpet is pulled out, awaiting to be spray lined, then ill section the carpet so i can take it in and out more easily.

Okay...the very first rain since I had the winshield replaced and the source of the frontal leaks have ceased!!! There is only one leak left showing its ugly face and it is streaming down from the driver's side of the rear sliding-glass window as jeepmj_tj mentioned.

The only problem is that there is welded metal over the source of the rear-window leak that does not allow me to see exactly where the water is entering. Any ideas out there in Comancheland?

This is so exciting! Two of the three leak sources have been solved by the new windshield! :banana: jamminz.gif

Thanks guys!

:bowdown: :cheers:

Roadless,

I heard that, man! This was the ultimate leak from hell and yes, it was getting under the carpet. On top of that, mice started camping out in my engine compartment...those little bastards!

I started sprinkling poison pellets underneath my Comanche and those little bastards gathered up the pellets and stored them in the drainage holes in the hood of the truck! I then issued a fatwa and declared jihad on the mice by using an empty Clorox jug with a couple of mouse-sized holes and lacing it with peanut-butter flavored poison blocks that were too heavy for the mice to carry away to store...they eat their fill and then go off and die. Anyway, the mouse problem is over...

Pingpong,

LOL!

lol my mj has been sitting for a while in a semi-wooded area...so i get all kind of critters in mine but i also has the mice in the engine compartment problem...i went to clean it and like 50 of those little suckers jumped out. (scared the hell outa my girlfriend though[i got a laught out of that])

My MJ sat in a barn on my family's farm in PA for about 1 1/2 years while I worked on it (drove up from VA on weekends). A commune of field mice set up shop inside the HVAC system....they used the OEM floor padding to make their nests inside the dash. I had no idea they were doing that until the day I finished the project and drove it out for a test drive. I turned on the defroster (on high, nonetheless :roll: ) and got hit with a blizzard of nesting material.

Almost two years later and little pieces of matting STILL come out of the vents from time to time :cry:

Bastids......

Jeff

lol my mj has been sitting for a while in a semi-wooded area...so i get all kind of critters in mine but i also has the mice in the engine compartment problem...i went to clean it and like 50 of those little suckers jumped out.

Those little scavengers love to use air-filter fiber and hood insulation for building their nests...argh! O:mad: Anyway, it rained steadily all night and only the rear window leak remains! :banana:

With all the run-down piece-of-crap MJs I've bought in my life, I'm genuinely surprised that I've yet to see a mouse in one. BUT, I have a continuing problem with sparrows trying to nest in the various holes they find. I ended up cutting a swim noodle up to stuff into the holes. :headpop:

With all the run-down piece-of-crap MJs I've bought in my life, I'm genuinely surprised that I've yet to see a mouse in one. BUT, I have a continuing problem with sparrows trying to nest in the various holes they find. I ended up cutting a swim noodle up to stuff into the holes. :headpop:

I'm harbouring a hornets nest and some balled up lint in the glove box. not sure what thats all about but the bro says it looks like ex rat nest... :eek:

Yer' bro' was almost correct. This also happened in the glovebox of my Comanche...mice! You must declare all-out global thermonuclear war to exterminate those bastards or they will make hash of your Jeepish lawn ornament!

Poison in blocks on the ground...it works!

I declared war on the hornets with a can of carb cleaner and a propane torch. I'm alergic to the bastards, so I didn't feel bad watching them shrivel up and burn.

i am not alergic to em, but those suckers use to hit me right on the back of the neck EVERY summer. so i love killing anythin the flys and sting. o and spiders. :mad:

alex

When i worked with our parks dept, we would hunt the flying/stinging *#%turds down and kill em. The trick is to get the commercial grade wasp killer with refridgerant in it. The refridgerant freezes em so that buy the time they thawed out they were already dead. :thwak: