Center Console Add

Since the Center console is a popular option with the MJ guys, I am sure some could help. I picked up a center console from a 92XJ today for my 88XJ. How do I know where to drill holes for the brackets? Is their some sort of markings from the factory?

Thanks.

yeah, just lift up the carpet, and all the necesary holes will be center punched already.

They were not on my 1991. But it's easy to figure out. 88XJSport, hope you grabbed the front air diffuser piece too from the donor. The MJ diffuser w/o a console doesn't work.

yeah, just lift up the carpet, and all the necesary holes will be center punched already.

They were not on my 1991. But it's easy to figure out. 88XJSport, hope you grabbed the front air diffuser piece too from the donor. The MJ diffuser w/o a console doesn't work.

they were on my 89 :hmm:

Well, what i thought of doing, is place the console where its supposed to go, line up the holes with the brackets, and drill the holes there, if worst comes to worst...

Another question, how do I tighten the hinge to the lid of the console? Mine is all squirrly. Anyone use any adhesive or anything for that??

on a related note, has anyone used one of those indestructable console upgrades for XJs? I've seen ones with mounts for your headunit and CB inside (these were probably for a wrangler) and thought that it might be a good idea if I ever decide to take my doors off. Problem is, the only XJ upgrades I've seen have provisions for the center-mounted parking brake...

Since the Center console is a popular option with the MJ guys, I am sure some could help. I picked up a center console from a 92XJ today for my 88XJ. How do I know where to drill holes for the brackets? Is their some sort of markings from the factory?

Thanks.

Did you grab the little metal brackets that hold the console to the floor?

Thanks.

I'm...confused.

Are you putting it in an XJ or MJ?

Thanks.

I'm...confused.

Are you putting it in an XJ or MJ?

i think its for his Cherokee

That confused me.

Also, I've never seen an XJ that didn't already have a center console.

Yes I grabbed the brackets. I think I'm just going to line up the console, and drill the holes from there, since the console will be in the correct spot.

And yes most XJ's had consoles, but of course mine doesnt.

Does anyone have the loose lid like I do? The screws that go into the armrest are stripped and loose. What do you do to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

88XJSport, hope you grabbed the front air diffuser piece too from the donor. The MJ diffuser w/o a console doesn't work.

What is this? Is this the long duct for the rear seats? I didnt get that, since I don't have rear passengers.

If I am wrong, does anyone have a pic? Or how do I remove this, since I need to go back to the yard monday for a new console lid anyways...

Thanks for any help. And this is an XJ console for an XJ, dunno if MJ has different duct work or not...

Any help is great!

it's the piece that that long tube connects to.

two screws on front of it take it out. get one, then block off the part for the rear tube. it'll push more heat out the sides then.

This clarifies! And Ill just remove the one that is there now before adding the diffuser?

Thanks man. :cheers:

it's the piece that that long tube connects to.

two screws on front of it take it out. get one, then block off the part for the rear tube. it'll push more heat out the sides then.

This clarifies! And Ill just remove the one that is there now before adding the diffuser?

Thanks man. :cheers:

exactly.