Building OBA

I'm in the process of building an on board air system for it right now...will update with pics as it comes along.

so far spent (at menards)

$7 on a cheapo hose i can use offroad

$35 on a pretty heavy duty air filter/oiler/pressure regulator system.

$6 on the oil/water seperator

$5 on some fittings

it's meant to run : air tank/compressor, filter, regulator, oiler....with oiler being for the tools.

I'm running it : filter, oiler, air compressor (a/c compressor), regulator, oil/water seperator

doing it this way so that I can oil the compressor automatically once i've got the drip feed adjusted.

still need to get the hardline for between the oiler and intake of the compressor (has to be hardline cause suction will cause it to go flat otherwise), and output to regulator line. I've got all the connectors I will need.

for now, I will be running tankless. when I have the accessories in the bed all set up, I will plumb the truck for a tank.

got everything I need except for the pressure cutoff switch, and one 1/4x1/4 threaded adapter.

here you can see how little room I have to work with

Image Not Found

but, on the bright side it's still easy to work with

Image Not Found

drilling out for 90 degree fitting

Image Not Found

first holes

Image Not Found

back of compressor

Image Not Found

with manifold mounted

Image Not Found

manifold. I have to weld plugs on the two open holes

Image Not Found

here's the completed setup

Image Not Found

air filter and oiler

Image Not Found

regulator, oil/water seperator, connector. haven't installed the connector/seperator yet because i'm not sure where they will be located.

Image Not Found

back of the compressor. as stated, i gotta weld the holes yet

Image Not Found

the braided line is actually water line. copper inside, stainless steel braiding. $3 each at 20" long, and they are meant to hold up to 2,000 PSI. we'll see how they work

Image Not Found

I do need to pick up a pressure cutoff switch before I can wire this all in. otherwise it's a pretty complete system

• 3 weeks later...

...it's even better right now, but i still haven't shelled out the $$$ for the pressure switch or unloader valve. i'm gonna try and use an old pressure switch i got layin here before i head up to your place this week...

-Pat

yep.

i'm actually working on it right now...i'm about done with the components, but don't want to bring the truck in the shop now that it's covered in snow...(i went to bed at 9am with no snow, woke up at 3pm with over a foot of snow)

yep.

i'm actually working on it right now...i'm about done with the components, but don't want to bring the truck in the shop now that it's covered in snow...(i went to bed at 9am with no snow, woke up at 3pm with over a foot of snow)

working on your oba, and typing on the 'puter. your a good multi-tasker :D ...

...and you took more snow with you after you cut across my grass :roll:

yep.

working on your oba, and typing on the 'puter. your a good multi-tasker :D ...

...and you took more snow with you after you cut across my grass :roll:

was i that far off the driveway?

oops...

weeelll.

finished the unit today. turned out well...now i just have to tape all the threads and put it together permanently, then mount it all in my truck

it turned out pretty compact as well

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

i'll have to get an unloader valve at some point, and I'll throw a new pressure regulator in it soon as it arrives. tossed an old one on it for now...not even sure if it works.

but. i'm happy with it so far.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 years later...