Another MPG question.

Looking for someone with a set up close to ours so we can see about what MPG we are looking at.

4.0 HO AW4

6.5" lift

3.55 Axles

33" tires

I am think about 16mpg for our set up??

What RPMs do you turn at 65 MPH, about 1200?

I think if you get better than about 12 MPG it's a modern miracle.

Looking for someone with a set up close to ours so we can see about what MPG we are looking at.

4.0 HO AW4

6.5" lift

3.55 Axles

33" tires

Not sure, never had it up to 65 yet.

But we are getting around 8mpg :roll:

Going to put in a new O2 sensor and see what we get. Everything else is new so it must be a bad O2 sensor.

31x10.50

22-23mpg.

ohhhhh that's right. i'm rockin a 3800 camaro motor with a 5 speed...

:P

can't wait for 33's and 4.10 gears. gas mileage will go through the roof.

edit: I did get 24.5 mpg on a tank once...but it was completely interstate driving except for the on ramp and exit ramp. :D gas to badlands won't kill me that's for sure

I went back to stock tires (205/75/15) as the ones on there before (235/75/15) geared me up too much with my 3.07 axles. I just ran out of torque too often.

If you go here http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp you can compare various sizes at the same time.

Interesting. Mine with 3.07s has 235/75s and I've noticed that it runs out as well.

I've also thought I was only getting about 14-16mpg, but maybe I need to be a bit more careful in my calculations.

Have not changed the speedo gear yet, but the speedo is off by 6mph. Checked by GPS

if you haven't switched the speedo gear, you have no idea what kind of mileage you're getting. it's probably better than you thought.

Maybe not, But you have 1/4+ tank of gas and you stop and put in $10 ( 3 gal) in it and you drive to Lancaster and back which is 45 miles round trip and you run out of gas, well it's not getting good mpg :nuts: And during the trip you can see the gas guage go down from 3/4 to E, I may be off 1 mpg but not much more.

The 4.0 did run good :cheers:

• 6 months later...

horrific gas mileage, 10-12 miles per gallon. Everything stock, auto, 4.0, runs greats.

Guy at the store told to change the "MAPPS", if you're sitting in the driver's seat and made a straight line to under the hood it's a sensor looking thing straight from the steering wheel.

87 4.0/AW4 3.55, 235/75R15 I get about 18 around town, 22 on the highway, 24 if I don't go over 65mph. Those numbers are corrected for tire size and double checked with GPS.

I got 13-14 around town at first, 18 on the highway. Then I found a broken plug wire cause me to run on only 5 cylinders.

well, 6mph off means you're something like 12% off roughly. so, take every FULL TANK and refill it to full. then multiply the miles travelled on the previous tank, and multiply times 1.12 ...then divided that number by the amount of gallons you used to fill the tank.

so,

186 miles x 1.12= 208.32miles

11.07 gallons = 18.81842818428184281842...

should figure out which speedo gear you need and replace it. the 3800 was off by 13% and i was getting 19mpg before doing the math.

anyways, my 87 is

auto

4wd

4.10 gears

33x10.50's

and it averages 17mpg, though i have gotten 18mpg in town and 21 on the highway. it also runs like crap and needs new o2 sensors, coolant flush, and needs a rear main pretty bad.

well, 6mph off means you're something like 12% off roughly. so, take every FULL TANK and refill it to full. then multiply the miles travelled on the previous tank, and multiply times 1.12 ...then divided that number by the amount of gallons you used to fill the tank.

so,

186 miles x 1.12= 208.32miles

11.07 gallons = 18.81842818428184281842...

should figure out which speedo gear you need and replace it. the 3800 was off by 13% and i was getting 19mpg before doing the math.

anyways, my 87 is

auto

4wd

4.10 gears

33x10.50's

and it averages 17mpg, though i have gotten 18mpg in town and 21 on the highway. it also runs like crap and needs new o2 sensors, coolant flush, and needs a rear main pretty bad.

Yeah, MPG is definitely important, and getting more importanter every day. :D Current setup:

4.5L stroker w. AW-4

4.11 gearing

31" BFG MTs

Correct speedo gear

15 around town, 18-20 highway. According to similar setups on the strokers forum, this is not too bad, a bit above average. Got all the parts, and next week I am swapping my old intake for the 1999+ curved runner unit, and adding a Unichip, then having it dyno tuned at Hesco. This has resulted in 2-3 more MPG for most w. 10% overall HP/torque numbers. We'll see.............

4.0 HO AW4

6.5" lift

3.55 Axles

33" tires

Not sure, never had it up to 65 yet.

But we are getting around 8mpg :roll:

Going to put in a new O2 sensor and see what we get. Everything else is new so it must be a bad O2 sensor.

you can try it but its no guarantee. synthetic oil and a good tune up should give you much better mpg.

Release parking brake! :D I don't know what mpg the Comanche gets,My Son drives it and he spends $50 and that only gets 3/4 tank.To figure mpg always start with full tank drive till it's at least down to 1/2 tank write down miles fill and write down gallons etc.... The gas gauge is just not accurate enough to tell how many gallons you use. Anyway I get 12.5 mpg in my 6300lbs 1999 RAM 2500 4x4 360 V-8 (gas) auto trans 4:10,with 35"tires (and yes the spedometer has been corrected),so something is not right with your truck.