truck shaking

when reaching speeds of 40 to 50 mph the truck starts shaking. now at first i thought it had something to do with the cold weather, because i let the truck warm up all the way before driving it and it doesn't shake. i still think that could be an issue but i don't know so that's the problem.

i was talking to some guy today about it, he said he had three comanches before this last one. and one of them did that. i don't remember what exactly he said but he said it had to do with something being loose around the wheel areas. don't exactly remember what he said it was. but he said he replaced them and it quit shaking.

need help quick so i can fix it.

well it depends. is it an engine sputtering type shape or a handling shake?

i know not about the engine one, but

handling issues such as death wobble are caused by loose and/or worn move-ables.

"move-ables" are items such as ball joints, tie rod ends, ujoints, and wheel bearings. if any are worn down, it will shake. by the same token, loose bolts or nuts will also cause it.

so, I can't tell you what your problem is. but I can say that you need to go over your entire steering system and front axle to check for loose parts.

to check ball joints, stand facing the wheel well, grab the top of the wheel, and push and pull it. if it has large quantities of play then you may need new ones. this can also count as wheel bearing/hub assembly issues. don't be tricked in this test; the rubber on the wheels allows for small movement, so use your thinking ability to find a way to do this test while looking at the joints (think turn tires).

if you can reach into the axleshaft ujoints (for 4wd models only) and shake the opposing ends of shafts with free play, you need new ujoints. bad ujoints are sufficient enough to cause DW too.

bad tie rod ends (TRE's) could cause slop between any number of pieces in the drag link and tie rod assembly, as well as your trackbar. any slop will result in misalignment of parts, and could induce shake.

loose trackbar mount bolts are a common culprit for DW as well (beaterjeep and geonovast have suffered this), so check the 4 up top on the mounting bracket, and the one down on the axle side of the trackbar. subsequently, the frame can also break at that location (not very common though I have experienced it...and induced the break) and cause these symptoms.

i will go over it tomorrow, it's too wet outside right now and not enough lighting, and pretty damn cold. my drive way is all iced over so i keep slippin all over the place. i checked a few things grabbing and shaking and pulling and pushing. nothing was loose.

how do you know if it is an engine sputtering type shake?

how do you know if it is an engine sputtering type shake?

does it effect your handling (turning, forward movement) or does it feel like just a bucking sensation.

is it a "oh $#!& i'm gonna die" or a "f8ck now what's broken" thing.

it could be as simple as a motor mount or tranny mount if it's just kind of a bucking. only you will know what it feels like. describing it is hard. but, frankly, the only thing I can tell you is is it handling issues or no.

it's a "f8ck now what's broken" thing.

sometimes it will quit shaking but it feels like you slightly speed up then you slow down, and then it shoots you off and runs smooth. the right tire seems to have picked up a squeak when turning left. don't know what that is all about.

Do check your front end, you could have some thing bad up front, even a bad wheel bearing.

But is could be something as simple as a bad tire. If you can, rotate your tires and see if that could be causing the problem before you start rebuilding your front end.

As you hit that speed range, your tires pick up a harmonic pattern, and that would show as shaking. Tires are not perfect, and one could be out of round, or out of balance.

If you have 'death wobble' you will know it, and you wouldn't forget it :eek:

If you have 'death wobble' you will know it, and you wouldn't forget it :eek:

never forget. and NEVER SURRENDER! JEEPCOMMMMMM!!!!!!!

haha. sorry, i just watched braveheart.

anyways, yea you won't forget it. i haven't...i had to STOP my trucks to get the wobble to stop, and hitting any small bumps brought it back.

of course...my frame broke. you can see the weld I had to lay to cover it up...and the other cracks I hadn't done yet.

n69205416_32679231_8873.jpg

and here's my repair

n69205416_32696558_6188.jpg

that was the LAST thing I expected out of that truck...and it was the reason that it sat for almost 3 months, and also the reason that I finally finished a few things on it...

it doesn't start shaking when i hit any bumps.

i didn't check too much. i just grabbed a few things around the wheels and under the front and pulled and pushed and yanked but nothing felt loose.

could the alignment play a part?

snows coming down pretty good today and it's too damn cold to be outside so i am going to put it off until it is half way decent outside.

i've got the exact same problem. without fail when i hit 45 the thing starts shaking. i've looked around and everything's tight. i'm pretty sure i need to get my tires rotated and balanced. just a matter of getting over to the tire place, i don't have tire equipment. so i'd check that. what state are your tires in? has the truck sat for a long while? something to think about.

i've got the exact same problem. without fail when i hit 45 the thing starts shaking. i've looked around and everything's tight. i'm pretty sure i need to get my tires rotated and balanced. just a matter of getting over to the tire place, i don't have tire equipment. so i'd check that. what state are your tires in? has the truck sat for a long while? something to think about.

tires are pretty worn. i would say there's about 10% of tread left.

yeah i was thinking the same. don't have to cash right now though. if i can get a full time job here soon. i will probably take out a loan to get this other truck. that way i can build my credit up. i don't have any credit built up. then i don't have to worry about fixing up my 86 right now. though i am trying to sell it anyways. but it would sweet if i could get the other mj without selling the one i have.

The causes of death wobble are many, and diagnosis can be very difficult. Sometimes it's a combination. You need to consider:

* Tire balance

* Loose track bar

* Loose track bar frame bracket

* Worn ball joints

* Worn tie rod ends

* Worn control arm bushings

* Caster angle (too little caster can result in DW)

* Worn steering box or pitman arm

* Worn drag link TRE

* Warped front brake rotors

* Worn hub/bearing units

* Out-of-round rims

* Out-of-round tires

IMHO the two most critical are tire balance and caster angle. I know a lot of people say "TRACK BAR!!!" is THE cause -- but I drove around for six months with a track bar so loose I had about a quarter turn of free play at the steering wheel, and not a hint of death wobble. So I'm unconvinced on the universality of the track bar as the, or even a, primary causal factor.

My Mj just had a bad case of the wobbles, right after I lifted it a little bit. Happened at 45-50 or so and if I hit a bump around 45. Track bar fix helped make it not so bad. Big fix was the alignment. I still need to take it to a shop but fixing my Toe problem has eliminated it for now. Not saying it won't come back next week, but the geometry on these things is fairly pecular. It wants to just in the sweet spot or it will let you know.

On my '94 XJ I installed a set of Moog problem solver control arm bushings and they fixed my problem.

They are a stiffer version of the standard bushings.

With 33" tires and a 3" of lift the stock bushings are pushed beyond their limits. The stiffer bushings really help control axle movement.

well if it was the tire balance wouldn't it happen all the time rather than some of the time. it hardly ever happens when i let the truck warm up all the way. if i don't let the truck warm up any then it'll shake every time i reach 40 to 50 mph until the engine is warmed up all the way.

well if it was the tire balance wouldn't it happen all the time rather than some of the time. it hardly ever happens when i let the truck warm up all the way. if i don't let the truck warm up any then it'll shake every time i reach 40 to 50 mph until the engine is warmed up all the way.

no

rotational force gets expanded and can cause symptoms at different speeds