Looking for some input on tires

Hey y'all!

The off brand highway tires that came on the '91 Eliminator 2wd have had it and in need of replacement. They have virtually no grip and are awful in the rain. I don't plan to swap this truck to 4x4 or do any off roading or snow driving in it but I would like to have some grip especially in the rain. I've had a few close calls to losing it when I do drive in the rain. What have y'all used and liked? I'm open to AT and Highway tires. I do drive it in good weather months regularly and do some trips in it so don't want to sacrifice a bunch of mpgs if possible.

We have had good success with installing 6-ply light truck tires. Because they are truck tires they last for a long time on the relatively light Comanche. I've also never had a tire go flat, other than the time a valve stem went bad. The tires have always needed to be replaced because of dry rot before the tread wears out. 235/75/15 fit great for stock everything.

So that's what I would and do buy. Lately I've been buying used tires that are take offs from people wanting mudders, but any tire shop should be able to get you a good set of LT tires. 

I'm a bit hesitant to use el cheapo store brand tires myself. I use 235/75R15's Firestone Destination AT/2's on mine, but I don't have a lot of miles on them myself. I purchased them new. My family has using the destination AT series on the astro for ~20years and have had good luck with them. I think we went through 2 or 3 sets in that time. They don't prematurely wear out, and the astro is a tank in the snow with AWD. That saying, mine are made in costa rica and the ones on my van were made in the states.

Some folks have luck searching junk yards for newer vehicles with the right tire size and buying mostly new tires at a discount, but this only really works if you have a tire machine. Most places charge you per tire mounting/dismounting fees, balancing and stems. By the time you do that you don't really save any money vs buying new.

I second Firestone Destination AT tires. I've run them in snow, rain, sand, mud/dirt, and a little bit of rocks between my Comanche and my Eagle. I thought they did very well in all situations. Even in the snow and rain, I never feel like I need four wheel drive. I have the original Destination ATs, but I will consider the AT2s for my next sets on each rig. 

11 minutes ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Some folks have luck searching junk yards for newer vehicles with the right tire size and buying mostly new tires at a discount, but this only really works if you have a tire machine. Most places charge you per tire mounting/dismounting fees, balancing and stems. By the time you do that you don't really save any money vs buying new.

I'll disagree some. If you call around you can find a mom and pop (mostly pop I guess) shop that will mount and balance tires reasonably. For our expedition I recently bought 5 take-offs from a 4-Runner for $450 and had them installed for another $125. A lot cheaper than any tire shop wanted for 4 new tires.