Did y’all know….

The holes are still present on the long bed for the full size spare tire bar?

3E1555DB-1736-488F-B931-4E611A470508.jpeg

I got a new piece of literature breaking down the MJ and stumbled upon this:

ADCC4363-85F1-4CE2-9D74-081FD63E166C.jpeg

Now understanding where and how it’s supposed to go on….I see a future where I’m putting this on my MJ. 

I've been waiting to find one of these setups so I can CAD it up and clone it. The geometry looks pretty straight forward. It would be nice to have additional level of protection on that lil stainless steel rope wire crimp that holds the tire to the ratcheting mechanism.

18 minutes ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

It would be nice to have additional level of protection on that lil stainless steel rope wire crimp that holds the tire to the ratcheting mechanism.

That's what I'm thinking seeing this too. The bar looks easy enough to fabricate. As simple as some angle iron perhaps. The J-bolts will take a little fabrication and trial and error probably.

Add this to the seemingly endless to do list...

I feel almost any bar will do. I believe 80’s and 90’s ford trucks had just a bar and that bar could be easy enough to use instead of making one but it’s also just a flat bar with some j-bolts. I’d love to find those wing nuts though. 

edit: found them. Lol. 

I think they were only available for the ‘86 model year and will only hold up to a 235/75R15 tire. I have one on the 89 LWB and ratchet straps on my SWBs. I’ve been contemplating making one for one the SWBs with 32” tires, but would need to drill keyholes in the frame.

Yes it was an 86 only thing along with the special winch adaptor that later was just the flat end of a tire iron. 

but this would do away with my ratchet strap on my MJ and be a bit more reliable. 

I highly advise at least a ratchet strap on your spare. The factory winches have aged to the point now they are not trustworthy. I found out the hard way one day a few years back. The spare WILL bounce when it falls from under the truck and makes for a fun time when it comes back up and turns sideways under a moving truck. :eek:

I have a full size 31" spare on a turbine wheel under mine. I had to remove the "splash guard?" that sits right behind the bumper for it to fit. But wouldn't do it without something other than just the factory winch.