Transmission R&R

Slave leaking, doing slave upgrade to external slave.  I've got the transmission out about half an inch but can not get it to come completely loose.  Looks like it's hung up on something with where the transmission shaft enters the engine and/or pressure plate.  Would appreciate suggestions on how to get it to align so I can get it to release.  Thanks in advance.      

Well you could unbolt the pressure plate and that would outright loosen it but honestly when removing the trans, it’s the angling of everything. 

When I removed the trans on my XJ, I had to pry it apart and that’s when I learned there was a slight angling issue when it fully released. No damage was done. 

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well you could unbolt the pressure plate and that would outright loosen it but honestly when removing the trans, it’s the angling of everything. 

When I removed the trans on my XJ, I had to pry it apart and that’s when I learned there was a slight angling issue when it fully released. No damage was done. 

Thanks, kinda thought it was an angling issue.  Haven't quite found the right angle yet.  The harbor freight scissor jack I'm using seems to cause some rotation when I tighten down the strap that secures jack to the transmission.  Thought about that too.  No cigar so far.  Would a bit of rotation on the engine crank offer some useful help?  How did you know it was angling issue when you did your r&r?  thanks. 

Have you removed the shift boots to see if your shifter is hitting the floor? 

Lifting the front of the engine up with a jack and a 2x4 under the oil pan would help tilt the transmission down to help it come out better.

On the 4.0 liter the engine mounts are behind center of the block. When you remove the transmission with an unsupported engine it wants to tilt forward.

Watch the clearance of the fan and the radiator. To much tilt and you could poke a hole in your radiator.

40 minutes ago, rokinn said:

The harbor freight scissor jack I'm using seems to cause some rotation when I tighten down the strap that secures jack to the transmission.

Well shoot if you said you had that I couldve said "yeah you arent gonna get the angle with the money that thing costs" haha. That jack is nice but a pain to use for angles.

Shifter boots are all removed.  The engine is supported under the oil pan.  I've had it at various heights.  I don't seem to be coming any where near the radiator no matter how high or low the rear of the engine is.  The jack isn't very flexible  as to angles, admittedly.  Live and learn I guess.  Is it the transmission shaft that hangs up on the pressure plate and the pilot bearing that causes the problem? 

Yeah it’s pretty much the pilot bushing and the clutch disc itself fighting each other to release easily. There should be no harm in prying the two apart. Just be ready for a sudden thud of the engine or transmission. Or both. 

Or if you let off enough slack on the back but give it some tension you could probably wiggle and rock it off. 

Are you confident you have the bolts out near the top?  There are a couple sheet metal screws near the top that can allow you to pull the transmission 1/2 inch out but then no further.

3 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

Are you confident you have the bolts out near the top?  There are a couple sheet metal screws near the top that can allow you to pull the transmission 1/2 inch out but then no further.

I think we may be on to something here.  I don't recall taking out any sheet metal screws.  Can you describe in a little more detail where they are.  Thanks

Here is a pick of my internal slave bell housing so you can see all the holes.1200003457_IMG_20231216_1714194042.jpg.1fcdf2a10c20332f1ccb87d634860a8a.jpg

If I remember correctly the 4 larger upper holes are the only bolts holding the bell housing to the engine. Other than the starter and CPS I don't remember pulling any other bolts/screws out to get my transmission out.

6 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

It Slid out slicker than snot once those two sheet metal screws were out.  Thanks for the tip.  Much appreciation for everyone's suggestions. 

Is the only way to remove the sheet metal plate from behind the flywheel is to remove the flywheel?  

3 hours ago, rokinn said:

It Slid out slicker than snot once those two sheet metal screws were out.  Thanks for the tip.  Much appreciation for everyone's suggestions. 

Is the only way to remove the sheet metal plate from behind the flywheel is to remove the flywheel?  

Awesome!  

I had run into the same issue when I pulled mine to do the external slave conversion.

18 hours ago, rokinn said:

That piece should come out in two parts. 

I believe the shield is one piece.

I tried removing it without taking off the flywheel, but couldn't get it.  I tried to pry the shield over the dowel pins on the block. With the FW in the way, I couldn't flex the shield enough to clear the pin.

If you can remove the dowel pin, the shield should just slide off.  It is open at the top.

IMG_0218.JPG

4 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

I believe the shield is one piece.

I tried removing it without taking off the flywheel, but couldn't get it.  I tried to pry the shield over the dowel pins on the block. With the FW in the way, I couldn't flex the shield enough to clear the pin.

If you can remove the dowel pin, the shield should just slide off.  It is open at the top.

IMG_0218.JPG

Thanks, it is indeed one piece.  I couldn't flex it enough either to get it over the dowel.  Thought about removing dowels but wasn't sure they were removable.  Didn't want to bugger them up.  I removed the flywheel.  I'm not sure I actually need a new one but I bought one ahead of time just in case.  Guess I'm going to use the new one.  The shield is so filthy I couldn't leave it on there with everything else now squeaky clean.  Thanks.