Suggestions for best stock speakers

Hey guys! spring's coming soon and I'm about to take my MJ out of hibernation. Since it's my summer truck and the windows are mostly down, I want to hear my music. Right now I'm running a stock AMC radio cassette through a 2001 XJ anniversary amp and the stock MJ speakers... It's crap! If you know anything about me or my build, I'm more of an OEM+ kinda guy.... I like upgrades, as long as it looks as close to stock as possible. So, I don't want a subwoofer behind the seat; I want your suggestions on the best speakers that can go in the stock locations. My goal is to be as good as my '98 Ford Ranger single cab: stock speakers with my old "92 Eagle Talon TSi (Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX I think to you American friends) double DIN cassette head-unit with integrated equalizer. It's old stuff, I know, but I dug it out from my junk to put in my Ranger after I saw a Doug Demuro video on the Eclipse pointing out that the CD AUX port could be used for your phone.... And actually, it sounds freakin' awesome for how low-tech it is, plus the cassette=playing abilities! Anyways, I don't know what my Ranger has for stock speakers, or even if they are stock, but I want the same thing in my MJ! But only stock sized speakers; I'Ve had my share of hearing loss in my youth in the late '90s and early 2000's with oversized amps and bass boxes! I just want clear and balanced sound that I can properly hear at speed with my windows down, using my stock speaker location if possible! Thanks! :)

Check out @boxyjeep’s website or post in the vendors section. He makes speaker brackets for 6.5” speakers that fit with the b pillar trim for a very reasonable price, imho. I’m planning on getting a set from him whenever I get around to putting a radio and speakers in my truck. 

35 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Check out @boxyjeep’s website or post in the vendors section. He makes speaker brackets for 6.5” speakers that fit with the b pillar trim for a very reasonable price, imho. I’m planning on getting a set from him whenever I get around to putting a radio and speakers in my truck. 

I second this. He made a newly revised bracket with spacers so you can fit stock 6.5in speakers without having to cut anything. No b-piller inside cut. no bracket hackjob.

Otherwise, keep in mind the comanche cab is small and you don't need a whole lot to make it sound good!

I have had good luck purchasing infinity speakers on ebay and lowballing sellers. ~$70 per set of new speakers is pretty ok with me.

Boxy’s setup is a nice design. But I will say, if you want a nice stereo “sound stage”, ditch the rear speakers, run larger components in the front doors along with plenty of sound deadening. Morels are a nice choice but there are plenty of other good options. A class A/B amp as well for the door speakers. A little powered sub at least will help round things out. @Gjeep highly recommended this little sub: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSWX010/Pioneer-TS-WX010A.html

I’d use the b pillar location for some small subs but heavy fab work would be involved. 
Quieting down the cab will be time well spent even riding with the windows down.

On 3/11/2024 at 1:46 AM, eaglescout526 said:

How stock are your MJ speakers? Like original 8Ω? If so you need the 4Ω probably for your XJ amp

I've put in the speakers from that particular Anniversary XJ; IIRC they were rated a 120W, but they sure don't sound like it... Plus, I can't remember if they were the Infiniy ones or some aftermarket ones. I was starting to wonder if my AMC cassette radio had enough juice to drive that XJ Infinity amp.... They don't exactly get 100% along, after I wired that amp in, I couldn't tune in to FM; I only get a fast pulse on any channel now. AM still works though. Like the amp causes some interference in the FM tuner.

1 hour ago, OldSch88L said:

I've put in the speakers from that particular Anniversary XJ; IIRC they were rated a 120W, but they sure don't sound like it... Plus, I can't remember if they were the Infiniy ones or some aftermarket ones. I was starting to wonder if my AMC cassette radio had enough juice to drive that XJ Infinity amp.... They don't exactly get 100% along, after I wired that amp in, I couldn't tune in to FM; I only get a fast pulse on any channel now. AM still works though. Like the amp causes some interference in the FM tuner.

Does that amplifier accept speaker level inputs? If it needs line level, you will have to get a line level converter

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 8:03 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

Does that amplifier accept speaker level inputs? If it needs line level, you will have to get a line level converter

Huh, what???? I'm proficient in many areas; mechanical, structural and bodywork, can hold my own in 12V electrical, diesel and hydraulics, but my car audio knowledge ends at being able to wire and install car audio. So I have no idea of what you just said, as well as when people talk about speaker impedence and ohms; might as well be algebra to me, exept I'm better at algebra hahaha!!!

aa2.gif

10 minutes ago, Pete M said:

share pics of what you've got. :L: 

Here's the radio I'm running, and the amp is an Infinity Gold made for Chrysler that came standard in a 60th Anniversary XJ.

20201011_183633.jpg

20201011_183642.jpg

434681999_763426299091330_501006798137549520_n.jpg

Audio running to speakers you can think of as powered, audio signal running between two components (say a CD player and an amplifier) is generally non-powered or “line level”. Aftermarket radios tend to have this “line level” output for amplifiers. But some amplifiers can accept that higher powered “speaker level” input. 

5 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Audio running to speakers you can think of as powered, audio signal running between two components (say a CD player and an amplifier) is generally non-powered or “line level”. Aftermarket radios tend to have this “line level” output for amplifiers. But some amplifiers can accept that higher powered “speaker level” input. 

So if I understand this correctly, line level would be like connecting an amp to the radio using the RCA outlet?