mandrel bent downpipe review

Haven't seen much about mandrel bent downpipes so figured I'd give credit where its due. Necessary or not, I prefer mandrel bent for all exhaust on my projects.

Comparison photos below. (the mandrel bent one isnt welded/clamped so its just laying loose in this picture, thats why they look like they arent the same)

A while back i bought a Walker p/n 54488 downpipe. Ends up its not mandrel bent like the photo showed on the ad. Its all 2" tubing, and has a crimp on both sides right at the top. Somewhat disappointed but its not the end of the world. Its a 1 pc unit. (it was delivered with no box, the shipper wrapped ALL of it in clear packing tape which would be nice as it heats up and melts off)

Recently I found this one on ebay and the seller confirmed its mandrel bent 409 stainless steel, so I ordered it.

I'm actually impressed. Starts at 2" OD at the top (no crimping) where it bolts to the header, and then merges to 2.25" from there. From my picture here you can see its a 2 pc so you either weld or clamp it together.  Funny thing is its a little less $ than the Walker crimped bend one.

downpipe.jpg

20240228_175307.jpg