Exhaust Header

Has anyone tried this brand of header - Amazon 

JDMSPEED New Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold & Gasket Kit Replacement for Grand Cherokee Wrangler 4.0L Replacement for Jeeps Select 1991-1999 (4.0L Engine Only) Replaces 33007072, 4883385 https://a.co/d/3tU2cqt ? 
It is stainless steel and is under $100. My engine is out of a 1998 XJ, so this would be the type needed to work on this block. 

I don’t know anything about stainless but is there a difference in thickness compared to the steel I would question. I’m going to paint it regardless of material. It’s 60$+ difference in price compared to the Dorman brand. I does have good reviews on Amazon. 

2 hours ago, Drahcir495 said:

I don’t know anything about stainless but is there a difference in thickness compared to the steel I would question. I’m going to paint it regardless of material. It’s 60$+ difference in price compared to the Dorman brand. I does have good reviews on Amazon. 

It is extremely likely the dorman header is identical to this and sourced from the same supplier.

Something you want to check is how flat it actually is. I have a renix jeep, so I just went with a renix header (it was less work) but I had to literally take a metal file to the internal and external edges because there were burrs. I then took it to a granite surface block and some 400grit sandpaper.

The renix header is really a trash design. Just look at how the pipes are welded inside. it's a complete welding disaster. The baffle style header you selected is a better design, but it would have required me to redo the entire down pipe that I *just* replaced.

I bead blasted mine, blew off with an oil-free air compressor, cleaned with alcohol, blew it off again then brush painted it with VHT high temp paint. The paint flaked off in like 30 hours. VHT paint is truly garbage.

20230308_232034.jpg

20230309_004215.jpg

20230309_004222.jpg

20230308_230517.jpg

P2720408.JPG

P2720403.JPG.d16ce3899b4a29c6605a3e1002e36e63.JPG

I put one on my truck about 2 years ago and it is still working. Quality seemed okay but there was some cleanup work and modifications that needed to be done to run it on my renix engine. When I did it I cut the egr bung out of the old header and drilled a hole in the new one then welded it in place. Then extended the egr tube. I also replaced the down pipe with a later one to relocate the oxygen sensor.

Literally every 91-99 factory exhaust manifold I've looked at in junkyards is cracked.  Usually near the collector.  I've looked at hundreds of them.  

Both my 91 MJ and 91 XJ have the replacement manifold that looks like the one in your link.  Both of them are used and came from junkyard XJ engines.  I painted them and put them on years ago.  Both have have held up well, no issues.

My advice is look for the cheapest one you can find, in that style with the "bellows" in each outer pipe.  They are probably all made in the same factory.  Rockauto has one for $85.99, - the 5% normal discount,+shipping.

14 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

You do know there will be no provision for oxygen sensor and EGR tube, right? 

There are work arounds.

I already deleted out the egr. I have heard both sides of keeping or removing it. Finally, on advice from a local Jeep guru, I eliminated it. Haven’t a clue if it helped or hurt? 

Great job on the EGR. No downside to that. 

Where are you gonna mount your oxygen sensor? 

If you opt to mount it in the headpipe like on the HO models, the harness is plenty long to do that. 

1 hour ago, cruiser54 said:

that's all I've ever had done on my personal stuff. 

Good to hear. :L:  Some can be a pain in the butt but these ones look like they'd be fairly straight forward.   I brazed one many years ago but haven't had to do one since then. 

13 hours ago, Drahcir495 said:

Schardein - thank you. I never thought of looking for one in the junkyard!

You're welcome.  I paid around $30 each for mine.  Great deal if you are willing to pull it yourself.  As I recall, about a 45 minute job.  A lot of Pick-ur-Part places don't allow a sawzall (reciprocating saw) and that is the way to go for cutting the exhaust pipe, instead of dealing with the rusted collector bolts.

The downside is you don't find the aftermarket manifolds very often.  But you might get lucky and find a Borla header. I have two that I found.  On a stock 4.0, I don't think there is much benefit, the one in your link is fine.

IMG_3875.JPG

3 hours ago, schardein said:

...  A lot of Pick-ur-Part places don't allow a sawzall (reciprocating saw) and that is the way to go for cutting the exhaust pipe, instead of dealing with the rusted collector bolts.

And then there are the guys that take an axe in with them.   I've seen it!