North Texas Jeep Shops

dreaminbohemian

I'm curious if anyone has a recommendation on a shop or mechanic in the DFW area.  I just bought this 87 from cruiser54 in Arizona and drove it home to Texas.  I do plan on doing a lot of wrenching on this myself but I'm looking for someone to do a general inspection, help me create a timeline maintenance and repair and preform some upgrades while I'm traveling for work.  This is my only vehicle so having it up on blocks while I poke around and figure stuff out for two weeks isn't an option.  This is my 4th 'manche and I've done clutch, cps, tps, and transmission rebuild before in the past.
Things on my list:

Tires are too big for the lift, I need to cut fenders (which I don't prefer) get smaller tires (would love to trade) or see if bump stops will fix it

There is a metallic grind underneath my feet on the drivers, maybe front drive shaft

Lost the u joint on the rear diff on the way home, parking lot repair and made it home but probably need to do the other 3 ASAP

Thanks for all yall's insight and I'm happy to back behind the wheel of an MJ

IMG_6892.jpeg

ujoints are ujoints and wheelbearings are wheelbearings.  those sorts of things can be handled by any competent shop.  it's the wiring and computers where I highly suggest getting your hands on one of NickinTime's engine monitors.  finding a shop that knows a 35 year old Renix is a real long shot.  :( 

If you still need someone, try Redemption Offroad in Richland Hills. Yours wouldn’t be the first Comanche they’ve serviced. Super nice guys and they tell it to you straight. My truck has been to them twice and the second time they squeezed me in same day pretty much immediately to fix a quick issue. My truck is also a bit Frankenstein’d by the previous owner(s) and they weren’t afraid to help me. 

I guess it’s worth asking besides final alignment is there any knowledge besides turning wrenches to lift/suspension/ and driveline systems? I have rubs and knocks and clanks but if it’s just as simple as describing my set up in here and taking advice and replacing parts and bushings I can do all that. 

Not a lot to it, no. 
You may not get caster or front pinion angle as part of the alignment at a shop, I think in the DIY thread linked in Pete’s signature there’s a guide on driveway alignments. 

When inspecting steering or suspension stuff you want zero play in any pivot point. You can get someone in the driver’s seat to turn the steering wheel back and forth to look for play in the steering linkages.

Lift the axle off the ground, onto jack stands. Try to wiggle the tires around. Any clunking is bad. Top/bottom of the wheel moving in and out is likely a ball joint. General wobbling around is going to be a wheel bearing issue. You’ll be able to push the wheel back and and forth in the steering axis, but any clunking while it’s happening will be an issue in the steering linkage. If you shove the front end of the truck left and right and there’s clunking, that’s a likely a track bar issue. Check the control arm bushings as well, there’s always going to be some give in a rubber bushing but you shouldn’t be able to easily move them around. 
And while we’re on the subject of rubber bushings, anything with one should be torqued in its final position. With control arms this means at ride height. Leave the bolts just barely touching their seats, and at minimum bounce the truck a bunch with weight on the wheels to settle the suspension, but ideally go for a cruise around the block to wiggle everything into its happy place and then tighten everything down.

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2023 at 11:26 PM, Malibu Manche said:

There aren’t any shops that specialize in old jeeps in DFW. There used to be one called Jeeps Unlimited but they got raided and shut down 🤒. I could provide a inspection.

I might need you if I decide to register my jeep in Texas

On 11/15/2023 at 5:56 PM, dreaminbohemian said:

I guess it’s worth asking besides final alignment is there any knowledge besides turning wrenches to lift/suspension/ and driveline systems? I have rubs and knocks and clanks but if it’s just as simple as describing my set up in here and taking advice and replacing parts and bushings I can do all that. 

Theres a few of us in the DFW area that I'm sure will be wheeling to help. A lot of us are on facebook and are part of the comanche club facebook group, which has messanger chats separated by state.