Rocker Switch Question

Adjacent to this topic, if your truck is pre wired for the cargo box light, should there be a connector near the switch panel for it to plug into a switch?  I just hooked under rail lights up to my unused fog light switch and would like it if it could be turned on with the headlights off.

21 minutes ago, pizzaman09 said:

Adjacent to this topic, if your truck is pre wired for the cargo box light, should there be a connector near the switch panel for it to plug into a switch?  I just hooked under rail lights up to my unused fog light switch and would like it if it could be turned on with the headlights off.

There should be a connector there on your 90. It has two pink wires connected to it. Course we do speculate that 89 was the last year for the cargo lamp wiring being installed at the factory but we know 91-92 doesn’t have such wiring. The cargo lamp works off the dome lamp circuit. 

23 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

There should be a connector there on your 90. It has two pink wires connected to it. Course we do speculate that 89 was the last year for the cargo lamp wiring being installed at the factory but we know 91-92 doesn’t have such wiring. The cargo lamp works off the dome lamp circuit. 

There is a connector in the b pillar if I remember correctly.  Also my truck was technically manufactured in 11/89.

4 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

There is a rather simple way to do this.  It helps if you are handy with vehicle wiring on these old rigs.

1.  Take apart the dash to get to the fog light switch.

2. "de-pin" the center wire from the fog light switch connector.

3.  Make a new wire with a factory terminal on one end to go into the fog light switch connector.  On the other end, put on a terminal and connector that mates to the appropriate port in the fuse box.  

4.  Choose the power port you want and plug it in.  You could have it hot all the time (battery) or hot with key on (ignition).

I did this to my factory fog light switch so I could run my driving lights whenever I want, separate from the headlights.  And it's a simple modification to undo, de-pin one wire and re-pin the old one.

Be sure to tape over the de-pinned wire.  You can also use a plain old 1/4" male spade terminal to plug into the fuse box, but the factory type connector is keyed to specific power ports and locks the wire in place.

I thought I made a post about this in the do it yourself section, but I can't find it.

IMG_9769.jpeg

IMG_9771.jpeg

IMG_9773 copy.jpeg

On 11/5/2023 at 5:58 PM, schardein said:

There is a rather simple way to do this.  It helps if you are handy with vehicle wiring on these old rigs.

1.  Take apart the dash to get to the fog light switch.

2. "de-pin" the center wire from the fog light switch connector.

3.  Make a new wire with a factory terminal on one end to go into the fog light switch connector.  On the other end, put on a terminal and connector that mates to the appropriate port in the fuse box.  

4.  Choose the power port you want and plug it in.  You could have it hot all the time (battery) or hot with key on (ignition).

I did this to my factory fog light switch so I could run my driving lights whenever I want, separate from the headlights.  And it's a simple modification to undo, de-pin one wire and re-pin the old one.

Be sure to tape over the de-pinned wire.  You can also use a plain old 1/4" male spade terminal to plug into the fuse box, but the factory type connector is keyed to specific power ports and locks the wire in place.

I thought I made a post about this in the do it yourself section, but I can't find it.

IMG_9769.jpeg

IMG_9771.jpeg

IMG_9773 copy.jpeg

Not to hijack your thread, but this was well done :beerchug: