ax15/np231 rebuild questions

A little back story is necessary.  I bought my ax15 used out of a 96? wrangler (was a long time ago before I learned to write things down).  It had an occasional grind going into 4th.  The seller was open and honest about it and said it had been doing it for a while with no other issues.  The price reflected the issue and I purchased it knowing it would eventually need a rebuild.  Well the time has come the grind has not changed and it will shift smooth if you allow the engine to slow between shifts.  It also has begun to pop out of 3rd upon clutch release.  I am beginning the process of collecting parts and info for a rebuild.  From what I have read I want to go with the Crown or transparts rebuild kits as they seem to be the most complete.  Has anyone else rebuilt their ax15?  Any suggestions or common issues I need to be on the lookout for?  I also plan on a clutch replacement while I am in there.  Suggestions on the best clutch?  I don't wheel my truck, it mostly sees street miles with a good bit of firewood hauling, but honestly  she is becoming more of a shop queen lately.  lol  Planning to rebuild the 231 while its out also.  Suggestions on a kit for it?  Anything in particular I need to watch in there?

I went with the crown ax15 kit several years ago. Worked fine. My current ax15 I’m sending off to Marlin Crawler to build as they are pretty much the only company out there that produce upgrade parts for the ax15  and can make them incredibly stout.

For the NP231 I got a kit from Novak. Good quality seals

Have a tip for when you rebuild the 231. There are roller bearings that go around the internal shaft - you will know what I am talking about it when you see it. Use some axle grease to hold them in place when you go to reinstall the new ones. It makes the reassembly much easier :D

I was going to rebuild a 241. I had it all apart. Time etc., so I had someone rebuild it. The plastic parts on the shift fork came off. He did rebuild it. This time used some RTV to glue on the plastic parts. I think he used the Ruff Stuff or Right Stuff from Permatex. Not cheap. I pieced together my parts. In the end, I think going with the NOVAK might have been a better option. I think I spent the same or more. 

2 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

Thanks for all the responses.  Any suggestions for a good clutch kit?  I don't wheel the truck but it will see some trailer pulling, but mostly just street driving.

Luk rep-set has been a go to for some time now. Good price and quality

I definitely can't vouch for the quality of the LUK internal  slave ASSY, (mine failed with 10K on it), but I've had OK luck with their clutches. I've heard of aftermarket transfer case chains breaking and an OEM Borgwarner Morse NP231 Transfer Case Chain HV027 is about the same cost.

I bought an Amazon blind hole puller for one of the  needle bearings in the transfer case.

When you get into the AX15 double check the shift forks. I bought a spare AX15 to rebuild so my truck wouldn't be down for more than a day. The previous owner said that it liked to pop out of first gear. There was a lot of slop in the shift forks. I replaced all of them. It hasn't popped out of gear since I finished rebuilding and swapped it in to my truck.

• 1 month later...

Well the trans is out and on the bench. The bell housing was cracked around the cps on both sides. And the fluid looked like the stuff they wash off the stage at the end of a long night at the strip club, except the trans fluid had more glitter lol.

Replacement bellhousing should be here Tuesday. Trying to decide what avenue to pursue with the trans. Thinking about a new one, maybe pay to have mine rebuilt, maybe rebuild it myself......heck I don't know yet.

You might compare the cost of a brand new unit from Advance Adapters or Novak to the cost of having yours rebuilt. I bought the new one from Advance, but I did need to redrill the tail housing. Novak will drill it for you. I went with the Advance one because it was a few hundred bucks cheaper and available in a few days from Summit Racing.