JDM TJ Sahara

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Is this getting shipped back?

Not likely. The MJ will be over here next year also once I get a place setup for it over here. will be back early 2024 to finish it up hopefully by spring. Plan on staying here indefinitely though, just trying to pickup the pieces after this nasty typhoon. Really hoping power comes back one of these days. Two weeks with no power is rough when it’s hot and humid. 

• 6 months later...

A few small updates. Sourced some original grizzly wheels and am going to repaint the whole rig and get the hardtop back to original color. New carpet on the way also. This thing is just cherry. Starts up every time, runs so smoothly and quietly, zero steering or suspension issues and zero rust underneath. Just swapped in some new infinity speakers the other day in the factory locations and have been slowly removing some aftermarket navigation system that was added in Japan. Pic for what I expect the end result will be. Also shot a picture of the build label. Anyone here able to decode it? @fiatslug87

@eaglescout526

IMG_2297.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

IMG_2309.jpeg

APAS MONOTONE PAINT BGAS POWER FRONT DISC/REAR DRUM BRAKES CDBS RECLINING FRONT SEATS
CGGS TRAVELING INBOARD SEAT BELT BUCKLE CGWS NEXT GENERATION FRONT AIR BAGS** CKES FRONT SEAT AREA CARPET
CKTS CARGO TIE DOWN LOOPS DGGS 3-SPD. AUTOMATIC 32RH TRANSMISSION DHNS COMMAND-TRAC PART TIME 4WD SYSTEM
DJJS DANA 30/186MM FRONT AXLE DRKS HEAVY DUTY DANA 44 REAR AXLE GBBS TINTED WINDSHIELD GLASS
GTES MANUAL MIRRORS HGAS HOOD INSULATION JAYS INSTRUMENT CLUSTER W/TACH
JDIS 180 KPH PRIMARY SPEEDOMETER JJAS CIGAR LIGHTER JJBS DUAL NOTE ELECTRIC HORNS
JJJS 12V AUXILIARY POWER OUTLET JKAS LOCKING GLOVE BOX KWPS LT. QUARTZ - BADGE - JEEP, LOWER COW
KXPS LT. QUARTZ - BADGE - WRANGLER K5GS EXTERIOR COMPONENT COLOR LMJS HALOGEN ECE HEADLAMPS
LPGS REAR FOG LAMPS LPSS CHMSL LAMP MBAS BLACK FRONT BUMPER
MB5S BLACK REAR BUMPER MCHS BUMPER EXTENSIONS MFPS CHROME HEADLAMP BEZELS
MFRS BLACK FRONT FRAME OVERLAY MFTS BODY COLOR GRILLE MWBS SPORT BAR W/SIDE PADDING
NACS EUROPEAN II EMISSIONS NBKS EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM NF1S 19 GALLON FUEL TANK
QJNS MOSS GREEN PEARL COAT RDDS FIXED LONG MAST ANTENNA SBAS POWER STEERING
SHAS FRONT STABILIZER BAR SHCS REAR STABILIZER BAR TBBS FULL SIZE SPARE TIRE
TBRS OUTSIDE TIRE CARRIER TZAS GOODYEAR BRAND TIRES XCYS UPGRADED OBD-II CONNECTORS
XEES FUEL TANK SKID PLATE SHIELD XEFS TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE SHIELD XEVS TOW EYE BRACKETS
XJFS TETHERED FUEL FILLER CAP Z5AS GVW RATING - 4360# 1AYS EXPORT NON-HOMOLOGATED
106S ZONE 06-EXPORT 5ISS TJ-VEHICLE FAMILY 5IWS JS/5712 VEHICLE FAMILY

*M5 PREM CLOTH HI-BACK BUCKET SEATS -TJ SADDLE/MOSS GREEN ABEA EXPORT EQUIPMENT GROUP
ABJA JAPAN EQUIPMENT GROUP ADCP CONVENIENCE GROUP ADHP HEAVY DUTY ELECTRICAL GROUP
ARSP SAHARA DECOR GROUP (97-02-26) A23P 4.0L ENGINE(ERH)/3SPD AUTO TRANS(DGG BAUP 117 AMP ALTERNATOR
BCEP 600 AMP MAINTENANCE FREE BATTERY CADP HIGH BACK BUCKET SEATS CFMP REAR FOLDING SEAT
CKFP REAR SEAT/WHEELHOUSE/CARGO CARPET CKRP CARGO NET CK9P COWL SIDE CARPET
CLCP FRONT FLOOR MATS CSAP SPARE TIRE COVER CUFP FULL LENGTH FLOOR CONSOLE
DGA ALL 3-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DHAP LOCK-UP TORQUE CONVERTER DMMP 3.07 REAR AXLE RATIO
DSAP TRAC-LOK DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE EAAC ALL ENGINES ERH 4.0L I6 POWER TECH ENGINE
GAF DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN GLASS GCBP LIGHT TINT FRONT DOOR WINDOWS GCFP FULL METAL DOORS W/ROLL-UP WINDOWS
GFAP REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER GREP LEFT MIRROR GSEP RIGHT MIRROR
GVAC ALL VEHICLES W/O POWER MIRRORS HAAP AIR CONDITIONING HGDP DELUXE INSULATION GROUP
JHAP VAR INTERMITTENT WINDSHIELD WIPERS JHBP REAR WINDOW WIPER/WASHER JKC ADD-A-TRUNK LOCKABLE STORAGE
KBJP DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE KYPP LT. QUARTZ - BADGE - 4.0L LBBP COURTESY LAMPS
LCDP REAR CARGO LAMP LDAP UNDERHOOD LAMP PJNA MOSS GREEN PEARL COAT
RAAC ALL RADIO EQUIPPED VEHICLES RBJP AM/FM CASS RADIO W/CHANGER CONTROL RCDP 4 SPEAKERS
SCGP LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL SDUP HIGH PRESSURE GAS CHARGED SHOCKS SUAP TILT STEERING COLUMN
TRNP P225/75R15 OWL WRANGLER AT TIRES VKUA SPICE HARD TOP WJ1P 15X7 ALUMINUM GRIZZLY WHEELS
WLZC ALL ALUMINUM WHEELS XJHP LOCKING FUEL FILLER CAP YAB BUILD TO EXPORT MKT. SPECIFICATIONS
YGFA 5 ADDITIONAL GALLONS OF GAS ZAEP SPRING - LEFT FRONT ZAVP SPRING - LEFT REAR
ZNEP SPRING - RIGHT FRONT ZNVP SPRING - RIGHT REAR 0BTA FAM: TJ TRACK PLAN: BUX-56F
2T7A CUSTOMER PREFERRED PACKAGE 2T7 247 CUSTOMER PREFERRED PACKAGE 247 3D1A INTL. PRICE PROTECTION A
3HGA COSO WT. D.M. 3HMA COSO SPBR NOT REQUIRED 3HQA MARKET HOMOLOGATION
3HWA EXPORT OCEAN FREIGHT 3HZA EXPORT INSURANCE 4ALA 1NTL 37 DAY SCHEDULE
4YBA EXPORT OPTION REQUIREMENTS 6EXA EXPORT SPECIFICATIONS LABEL 6J9 PAINT ORDER CODE
8DEP JAPAN COUNTRY CODE  
selling dealer STELLANTIS JAPAN LTD.

• 4 months later...

I’m about to get back to this TJ and have a few minor projects planned. Contemplating a repaint this year. Possibly going with a monstaliner for it but still undecided. Also contemplating gearing down to 4.10’s. This has the old TF999 tranny which is utterly bulletproof but is only a 3 speed. Deeper gears are a must especially for towing. This 4.0 runs like a top but feels anemic with the current 3.07’s. Bringing back with me some gear changing tools. Will update soon. Project “Tomahawk” is back under cover for now and still awaiting its grand reveal :holdwrench:

IMG_3055.jpeg

I’ve never driven a TJ, but I’ve driven both a YJ and a JK. How do you like the TJ? I ask because I’m considering one for school. 

6 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I’ve never driven a TJ, but I’ve driven both a YJ and a JK. How do you like the TJ? I ask because I’m considering one for school. 

The TJ is like a cross between a YJ and an XJ. This is our second TJ. Nice aftermarket support and just the right combinations of creature comforts and ruggedness. Like XJ’s though, it’s tough to find good ones that haven’t been beat on. 

6 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

It's probably a bit biased but of those 3, most TJ owners would say that a TJ is the best.   I owned a CJ and have driven several YJs.   I've never driven a JK or JL.   I owned a TJ and an LJ at the same time and still own the LJ, which is a TJ Unlimited.   Both are better than their predecessors with leaf springs up front, although some people prefer that.   The knock on later models is the complexity, especially the electronics and the engine in the 2007 to 2012 years.   

TJs are the first Wranglers to have coil springs all around.  They're nimble, simple to work on and they have basically the same bullet proof engine as the XJs.

3 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

The TJ is like a cross between a YJ and an XJ. This is our second TJ. Nice aftermarket support and just the right combinations of creature comforts and ruggedness. Like XJ’s though, it’s tough to find good ones that haven’t been beat on. 

Thank you, the comparison between an XJ and YJ is very helpful. I have noticed that the aftermarket support is quite good. Thank you!

3 hours ago, PCO6 said:

It's probably a bit biased but of those 3, most TJ owners would say that a TJ is the best.   I owned a CJ and have driven several YJs.   I've never driven a JK or JL.   I owned a TJ and an LJ at the same time and still own the LJ, which is a TJ Unlimited.   Both are better than their predecessors with leaf springs up front, although some people prefer that.   The knock on later models is the complexity, especially the electronics and the engine in the 2007 to 2012 years.   

TJs are the first Wranglers to have coil springs all around.  They're nimble, simple to work on and they have basically the same bullet proof engine as the XJs.

Thank you! In my mind, I figured the TJ would be really good because it’s coil sprung and 4.0 powered. Finding an LJ would be ideal, but I’m very picky and don’t have a huge budget haha. I do have a lead on one though. Thank you for the help. 

51 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Thank you, the comparison between an XJ and YJ is very helpful. I have noticed that the aftermarket support is quite good. Thank you!

Thank you! In my mind, I figured the TJ would be really good because it’s coil sprung and 4.0 powered. Finding an LJ would be ideal, but I’m very picky and don’t have a huge budget haha. I do have a lead on one though. Thank you for the help. 

You may have already looked at this but the Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum is one of the best sources for information.   Good luck with your search.  :L:

(2) Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum