'83 AMC Eagle SX4

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I thought I would have more problems to chase than the dead computer(not sure it's dead might just have a security system on it) and dead injectors. Still need to figure out why it runs for about 45 seconds when when I turn the key off. I think it is just a problem with the ignition switch not being adjusted properly.

Quick update found out why it kept running after I turned off the key. I plugged into the fuse box where it said ignition just to make things easier. Turns out I was going through the fuse that controls the dash warning lights and seat belt buzzer/warning light. I think that having the ECU on that circuit is causing the seat belt buzzer control box to misbehave and keep power to the ECU after I turn the key off. The voltage eventually bleeds off after about 45 seconds then the engine shuts off. So I need to find a different ignition source for the ECU to tie into.

I have nearly all the unused wires out of the Cherokee harness almost ready to bundle it back together and wrap it up. Right now it looks like a mess.IMG_20230614_205646663.jpg.4d70f32793f55bb022bf4e4f906a7083.jpg

My suggestion to anyone trying to do something similar is to find an uncut wire harness. The harness I got didn't have any of the fuel injector plugs on it. It was cut off at the firewall. But it was more intact than the one that the P.O. included with the car. So I managed to comine the 2 harnesses to make 1 good one. It would have made this whole process a lot easier. 

Got the wiring cleaned up and the harness is bundled together.IMG_20230615_203751940.jpg.aec04f1bd76e75e64b6d3f0be230b4d1.jpg

I need to get some split loom to cover it up after I wrap it in some bundling tape.

I thought my Comanche ran good but this engine idles smoother and revs better. Also I found out tonight that I need to change my water pump because the shaft is wobbling. Still a few more thing to button up before it's road worthy but I should finish those things tomorrow or Saturday. :banana: The end is in sight. (For now until I think of something else to do to it)

I forgot to mention I found the build sheet for my car while putting the fuel pump wires in.IMG_20230609_112330178.jpg.a4d9aae463c6fc6dea084657203b8efa.jpg

Not much is legible it was under the insulation in the trunk tapped to the floor. I can read the VIN and the gear ratio. 

I pulled the wire plug and harness out of a Cherokee and put it in the same hole as the factory sending unit wire just had the drill the hole a little bigger.IMG_20230609_113202848.jpg.88bee43bdd271b8c5869e8f3889f8ce7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well today it is back up and running after the fuel pump died. I also put the 4 hole injectors in and added some new badges one on each side.IMG_20230804_153100163.jpg.412aac4464ed718dc475b5e6b96b735b.jpg

After I put the badge on I realized that the Eagle badge had been put on crooked and has been that way for the last 40 years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Getting the Eagle ready for winter. Got the studded snow tires put on today and new front rotors and pads. Turns out the brakes are the same on the Comanches and Eagles. Haven't done much else I did put a small amp in hoping to double the output of the radio but so far I don't think it is any better. I still need to figure out how to tune it properly.

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Thats AMC cutting costs right there.

And cutting costs in a fairly smart way. I wish more manufacturers would do this. It’s gotta save so much time in engineering and development

20 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

And cutting costs in a fairly smart way. I wish more manufacturers would do this. It’s gotta save so much time in engineering and development

GM probably still does this with the truck and SUV line. Ford probably does as well. Chrysler miiiiiight. 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't put carpet in your car when it is below freezing. Totally messed it up and now I need to get another carpet kit.:brickwall: After I bolted the seats in the carpet was 4 inches above the transmission tunnel. I ended up splitting the carpet front to back to get it to sit down on the tunnel. I also cut the passenger side door jam to much and now the carpet doesn't go under the trim panel.

13 hours ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

Don't put carpet in your car when it is below freezing. Totally messed it up and now I need to get another carpet kit.:brickwall: After I bolted the seats in the carpet was 4 inches above the transmission tunnel. I ended up splitting the carpet front to back to get it to sit down on the tunnel. I also cut the passenger side door jam to much and now the carpet doesn't go under the trim panel.

Blow drier even when it is warm, you want that carpet as hot as you can without melting it, the sun on a hot day works great.

• 2 months later...

I have been trying to figure out why my car would shut off with the key. I separated all the wires going to the battery and removed them one by one and swing if the problem would fix itself. The only wire that fixed the issue once removed was the alternator wire. I also noticed that even after key was off there was still 3 volts on the ignition circuit keeping the computer powered on. While running the battery voltage was always at 14 volts so I never thought the alternator could be the problem.

I finally went and had the alternator tested and it failed on the charging circuit. Luckily I had a lifetime warranty on the alternator and I swapped it out in the parking lot and now the engine turns off with the key.:banana: