Japanese Mini Trucks

pizzaman09

I'm building a house this year on a 34 acre parcel of old farm.   I am soon going to need something to use as a utility vehicle and for snow plowing duties.

So what's everyone's opinion on Japanese Mini Trucks, (Kei trucks)?  I've really been eyeing them up as they can be had with 4x4, rear lockers, and a dump bed with a real heated and air conditioned cab.  If I get one that's over 25 years old I can even road register it in PA.  The Suzuki Carry is at the top of my list.  I'd like to mount a snowblower on it that is designed for side by side utility vehicles.

There's a Mennonite Diesel repair shop in Pennsylvania that has (2) Kei trucks. I believe they use them as shop trucks and move things about between buildings. Pretty neat. I have no idea about the internals of them, but it's pretty neat to see something so completely oddball being put to use.

Yeah, I'm down for anything with a manual transmission, which is one of the reasons I'm not too hot on side by sides.  Second thing is that they are way less expensive than a side by side with a fully enclosed cab.  There seems to be a place in Indiana, PA that imports them, I might have to take a day drive down there and check them out.  

4 hours ago, GrandBoost98 said:

Theres a bunch of them around my area. I have a friend that imports them. Theyre cool and he says theyre easy to work on. Id want a 4x4 diesel one

I've never seen a diesel one, but they may exist.  I'm interested in the Suzuki as they apparently have the most rev happy fun engine.  

I did find that there is a local equipment dealer that sells and works on them.  However they don't import them.  

went to a car meet in Charlotte last month and there were several there. One of the owners I talked to was really knowledgeable and walked me through it. Funny part was me and my buddy trying to figure out where the engine is. 

Really neat trucks.

4 hours ago, jeff351 said:

went to a car meet in Charlotte last month and there were several there. One of the owners I talked to was really knowledgeable and walked me through it. Funny part was me and my buddy trying to figure out where the engine is. 

Really neat trucks.

Mid engine under the bed.

A lot of them also have 4 or 5 speeds column shifted.

4 hours ago, Muncher said:

Thinking of getting one soon. Test drove one they drive very nice and aren't slow to get to 55-60 with the 5 speed 

That's good to know.  It's hard to get an opinion on that because most people are used to relatively power modern vehicles that get to 60 in an instant.  

Which model did you drive, if you know.

47 minutes ago, Muncher said:

@pizzaman09mitusbushi minicab i belive. 4x4 with rear locker. I was told by the importer there the best driving and handling. No power steering but you barley even notice it

Yeah there appears to be advantages and disadvantages to each.  The Honda Acty and Suzuki Carry are supposed to have the most rev happy engines.  The Subaru Sambar is the only 4 cylinder of the bunch and is supposedly a lot more refined.  The Diahatsu Hijet is the most common and easiest to get parts for.  I'm definitely looking forward to driving one from various brands to find which one I want.  I'd prefer one with a true low range transfer case, some only offer an ultra low crawler gear.

• 1 month later...

There's a guy in my town that wanted to trade his mini truck for my jeep. Ohhh man it was tempting because I've always loved the small things. Only thing is I can't drive manual, looked online for parts and couldn't find anything or much and I don't think would be a good daily. For whatever reason this one is badged as Chevy?

20230609_195248.jpg

20230609_195300.jpg

5 hours ago, Classy Comanche said:

There's a guy in my town that wanted to trade his mini truck for my jeep. Ohhh man it was tempting because I've always loved the small things. Only thing is I can't drive manual, looked online for parts and couldn't find anything or much and I don't think would be a good daily. For whatever reason this one is badged as Chevy?

20230609_195248.jpg

20230609_195300.jpg

It's certainly not a Chevy.  Looks like a Honda Acty based on the headlight design.  One can find automatic ones, though they are much less common and usually only have three speeds.  I wouldn't recommend one for a daily driver unless you don't typically drive over 45mph.  Typically the top speed is around 60.