project "back in black"

So I guess I'll go ahead and log my progress on my 89

day of sale for $250 :eek: !!! don't b HAtEIN !!!

unexpected to say the least...

The red column is KILLIN me !!

Finally got a good idle :

Because ..........

New plugs, cap, and wires helped 85%

AND>>>

Before

Was too excited to get clean parts back on forgot to thumb the cam..

Wildman is the man to ask for hard to find parts!!

Wiring harness :

Got me some alternators to swap..

one on left off a '93 S-10 4.3L Works fine... but you have to re-clock the housing.. it was pretty easy to do.

Rebuilt the mj's alt.

First thing to drop cash on was better tires, just happened these were attached to them :brows:

seats get a band-aid until something else comes along..

Took some mothers metal polish and cleaned the cluster lens!!

Brake work,,,, ummmm lots of it....

did the rears

DAYMN these came out looking great!!!

Used some high heat silver then some anodizing paint. I wish I could of mixed a lil yellow in the red to make it briter but looks fine.

New foggers!!

Well after two tries I think I got the VC the way I want it. It got a lil lint in the paint, but it'll rub out nicely..

Took out all the pre-air heater and covered the holes left from the parts..

Painted my air box to match the vc!!!

Finally came up with a way to make my double booster work...

I thought about this for a while now and this is what I came up with.

I chucked a 3" piece of 3/4 round stock in the lath and bored a 3/8 hole through the whole length... Then swapped bits to 1/2 and went in 1.5 on one side. Cut my old single boosters rod a lil less then 9/16 starting from the round part and measured the new double boosters rod and cut it where it would butt up to the old rod and be the same original length...

I had to press the old rod into the sleeve to make it butt up against the 3/8's hole and threw it in the vice on the drill press, center punched me three spots on the sleeve. One going thru the old rod and two going thru the new. Drilled one hole thru the sleeve and old rod... I had it set up in a way that I could then slide the new boosters rod, still in the booster, into the other side of the sleeve and drilled the other two holes. Those holes were 3/32 for a few roll pins that got pressed in holding everything together.

Finished it all up by using a belt sander to take all the edges and any exposed roll pins off.

My goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will update as progress continues!

Not a bad starter for $250. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Yeah she was sitting in knee high grass and had all kinds of vines growing through the frame!!.. threw a batt in and she started up with a little tinkering.. bout burnt it up cause the rear tires were flat and the cat was sitting in the grass!! jamminz.gif

I think considering that your truck has a cargo lamp, there will be a lot of people here hating on you.

Nice buy though, looks good. :cheers:

Really, are they that hard to find?? COOL!! :D

Thanks!!

great looking truck!

What're those switches for on the dash? I wondered that, my MJ has slots for 4 of them.

The column may be obnoxious red, but at least it's tilt!

Those my friend are for the driving lights and the cargo light for the bed.

I have found a few gray tilts, but some deals seemed shady and some were when I was broke... well he!! I'm still broke...

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket........

I did get a gray horn button off ebay for like 4 bucks a while back though!!

Thanks for everyones help cause I wouldn't be able to figure alot of this truck out without ya'lls help!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I think you either have either the Eliminator or Laredo trim level on your rig. For an 89:

If the 8th digit in your VIN is a T it's a Laredo.

If the 8th digit in your VIN is a 5 it's an Eliminator

Yeah I have an Eliminator. It has decals on the other bed side. A carfax told me it was hit in the bed, so I guess the po just painted and didn't replace the decal on the left side.

I think you either have either the Eliminator or Laredo trim level on your rig. For an 89:

If the 8th digit in your VIN is a T it's a Laredo.

If the 8th digit in your VIN is a 5 it's an Eliminator

Yeah I have an Eliminator. It has decals on the other bed side. A carfax told me it was hit in the bed, so I guess the po just painted and didn't replace the decal on the left side.

Does your VIN agree? There was a guy on FleaBay awhile back selling a Laredo MJ that was a dressed up base model. If the VIN says so, UB lucky. :cheers:

This is what the carfax said, but the 8th digit is a L :dunno:

Report Run Date: 12/11/2007

The vehicle identification number you submitted has been analyzed and summary information on your car is shown below.

VIN: 1J7FT66LXKLxxxxxx

Year: 1989

Make: Jeep

Model: Comanche Eliminator

Style/Body: Regular Cab

Class: Pickup - Full Sized

Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI

Country of Assembly: United States

Vehicle Age: 18 year(s)

Last Reported

Odometer Reading: 156,723

Per this link ftp://www.knwd.net/pub/jeep/86-88_MJ_VIN_decoder.rtf the 8th Digit for an 1989 of "L", just indicates the 4.0L 6 Cylinder.

The 6th Digit of "6" indicates a Eliminator Trim Package

This all matches up with what the CarFax Says...

SW2

Per this link the 6th digit 6 is only for the 91+ models. AAAAAAARGH, who knows. But it sounds like it's a regulation Eliminator..........

Per this link ftp://www.knwd.net/pub/jeep/86-88_MJ_VIN_decoder.rtf the 8th Digit for an 1989 of "L", just indicates the 4.0L 6 Cylinder.

SW2

Per this link the 6th digit 6 is only for the 91+ models. AAAAAAARGH, who knows. But it sounds like it's a regulation Eliminator..........

???

6 - Trim Package (1989)

1 * "S" (E)

2 * Base (L)

3 * Pioneer/Islander (M)

4 * Sahara (H)

5 * Laredo/Grand (P)

6 * Eliminator (S)

7 * Limited (X)

SW2

You sure you read that right Hornbrod?

This all matches up with what the CarFax Says...SW2

Obviously not :eek: . I'm tired, cold, and it's Miller time. :cheers:

Been working on and off today installing some side blinker repeaters like the Euro XJs have, and come inside to warm up a bit and check out the CClub forum. Got them in, will wire up tomorrow. Another semi useless mod, but it's fun.

This all matches up with what the CarFax Says...SW2

Obviously not :eek: . I'm tired, cold, and it's Miller time. :cheers:

Been working on and off today installing some side blinker repeaters like the Euro XJs have, and come inside to warm up a bit and check out the CClub forum. Got them in, will wire up tomorrow. Another semi useless mod, but it's fun.

Are you talking about the blinkers that fit in the fenders?

• 3 months later...
You talking about this piece? It's gorgeous I tell you. What you got planned next for her?

Hey man... It's called a project for a reason,,,

Waiting to mill a piece for the xj double booster,, need to get/ find a clutch mc.. then bleed everything.. Have some newer xj doors to put on,,, have a lot of sanding off flaking clear then paint,,, thats about it for now,,, summer should be fun!!

You talking about this piece? It's gorgeous I tell you. What you got planned next for her?

Hey man... It's called a project for a reason,,,

Waiting to mill a piece for the xj double booster,, need to get/ find a clutch mc.. then bleed everything.. Have some newer xj doors to put on,,, have a lot of sanding off flaking clear then paint,,, thats about it for now,,, summer should be fun!!

Good deal look forward towards your build, you know I have to live through you MJ now that mine is gone. :cry: