05 4.0 in an MJ?

depends on what year mj for one thing. do you have a truck you want to do this to? if so, what year and drivetrain? if you're looking for a comanche to drop an 05 4.0 into, you could get a 91 or 92 mj and drop the engine directly in, you just might need to use the MJ's harness/intake/exhaust.

As dfreeman suggested, I would also want the most recent version of the MJ. Then it would need to have had a 4.0 with everything in good working order.

I would remove the old engine and replace iith the new one. Then use the intake, system from the MJ and swap in the sencors (Temp, oil, oxygen etc) from the MJ as well. I am sure there would be a few kinks to work out but should be easy enough to do.

Essentially what I am saying is use the MJ electronics and intake system on the new 2005 motor. Your tranny should bolt up and youll be off with a brandy new engine.

CW

As I said, mostly curious. Although she runs great w/211k, I'm always on the lookout if I fall across a super deal on a future replacement, even if I bought it now and stored it until the current motor dies or becomes a money pit.

My current drivetrain: 88 4.0, a/t, p/t xfer case

For some reason I thought this one had the tranny with it, but I know there was another late model 4'oh on jeepforum that DID have tranny AND xfer case, $950 for all or would sell separately, i think @100k

So, just curious, how hard would it be to put an 05 4.0 out of a Rubicon in to an MJ? what other parts and expenses would be needed?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494407

engine, tranny, transfercase, and complete wiring harness would be needed

So I'm just wondering...did the bolt pattern for the engine->transmission change? He would not be able to put a 93 AW4 on that engine?

am I wrong that the 05 4.0 is the newer style 4.0 (v-engine)?

or was that 06 that they started in?

The 4.0L Jeep engine is a I6 from start till last fart fired....

Are you thinking of the 3.7/3.8 V6 maybe?? The 3.7 is whats in the KJ libbys, and the 3.8 is in the new Wranglers. They are very good engines in its own right, but they are no 4.0 L.

There where some changes thru its life. But as far as I know, all trannys that where ever on a 4.0, will fit any year other year 4.0.

CW

Actually I believe there is a Dodge/Chrysler 4.0 V6... is that not what is in the Nitro? I know there was a rumor of a 4.0 V6 going into the JKs since the 3.8L or whatever it is gets ragged on pretty good. Don't blame em either since it is a minivan engine trying to haul a 4dr JK around... :eek:

Alex

I don't see how it could be much more complicated than swapping a OBD1 HO into a Renix electrical system. Just put the block & intake/exhaust in there and put EVERYTHING Renix on the new block, the only thing I am not 100% sure of switching from is the 2000+ don't have a distributor & spark plugs; can you put spark plugs in those holes?

Yes, your aw4 will bolt right up but the newer intake requires you to use the newer kickdown on your "old" AW4.

Here is an old write-up of a swap I did.

http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14

it would be possible to use all you MJ stuff and just the block/head/internals on the engine, (someone mentioned different waterpumps but as long as the new one lines up with the serp. belt right it would be fine to use that one) and all the factory wiring.

but it would also be possible to use the 05 harness and put a dist-less ignition in it and all that jazz

I don't see how it could be much more complicated than swapping a OBD1 HO into a Renix electrical system. Just put the block & intake/exhaust in there and put EVERYTHING Renix on the new block, the only thing I am not 100% sure of switching from is the 2000+ don't have a distributor & spark plugs; can you put spark plugs in those holes?

Yes, your aw4 will bolt right up but the newer intake requires you to use the newer kickdown on your "old" AW4.

Dude,

You are absolutely correct!! I totally spaced about the coil on plug change over for the 2000 year!!!!! That changes things to be sure!!!!

CW

Dude,

You are absolutely correct!! I totally spaced about the coil on plug change over for the 2000 year!!!!! That changes things to be sure!!!!

CW

my wrenchin/wheelin buddy has a 2001 motor in his 93 xj and it runs just fine, he had to put the disty in there and turn it til it ran right (adjusted by ear/feel) but his truck runs like a bat-outta-hell. so the disty-less ignition will work with a distributor in place in an OBD1 truck (so it would work in renix to most likely)