Renix to HO Coolant Temp Sender

There isn't a link in the DIY but I thought I had seen it before. Looking to convert to the HO thermostat housing with temp sender. Anybody have a link? Will the remix sender just screw into the HO thermostat housing? I know it's 2 wires vs the Renix 1 so not sure how that works.

4 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

What is your goal here? 

Moving the gauge sender from the back of the head to the thermostat housing? 

2 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

It was in the right place on the Renix, why are you moving it? 

Yup. I just rebuilt the engine and bought this head from someone else. It had the sensor in it already and I didn't bother to remove when cleaning, lapping, etc... Well I fired up the motor after getting it reinstalled and noticed the temp wasn't reading after a few minutes of the truck running. I had the original sender from my old head laying around and figured I'd swap to diagnose. The sensor broke clean off the head when trying to remove. SO, rather than remove the head, drill, clean, and all that fun stuff, it will be 100x easier to relocate. Lengthening a wire isn't all that permanent if I ever decide to go back.

The HO sensor is 2-wire and 5v (I think 5v) whereas the Renix is 12v and a single pole. I went to ACE and got a 3/8 M to 1/4 F and installed it just fine. Doesn't look bad either. I'll solder & shrink some added wire length to hook it up completely.

Does anyone know the Ohm range? There are a lot of single pole 3/8 out there. Curious if there is an off the shelf type of solution.

I'd get the tap out. The reading will never be accurate and the sensor location on the back of the head is the easiest way to burp the head of trapped air. Closed or open it still happens. People just don't know it. Closed systems suck but they let you know quick everything is in proper order.

• 1 month later...

I think it looks great. Easy fix to a pain in the butt repair. Good job sir. Only a really detail oriented enthusiast would ever notice your little adapter piece. I’ve been thinking about doing the same to my Renix. Already have the HO thermostat housing installed.