Your thoughts on a 351W swap?

So I've found myself in possession of my buddy's 86 Bronco (351W,c6,4barrel carb) and have until Weds to get rid of it or pay the re-up in registration. If someone buys it, fine, whatever (I'm only asking 600, but there are only so many days left). If not, then I'll likely have it for the rest of the winter (parked due to the dead starter and the wasted body) and come spring time, it'll be reeeal hard not to envision that all that torque sitting in my trucks. :D Anyone ever do the research on fitting one of these in an MJ? Is it wider than the 302?

Pete,

The 351W and 302 share the same basic exterior dimensions for the block. But its a taller motor thru the intake and heads. This is where a problem could arise in the MJ.

A V8 MJ for the street would be way cool!! But for me a 4WD brings on the whole drive-line strength/will that's fit kinda thing. Sure its been done, and I know your running bigger FORD axles, but whats your tranny and T-case for this? I believe the ford T-case drop is wrong. You could flip a 300 and get the strength you need, but then there is the expense.....

CW

I never said it'd be easy. :D Just dreaming at the moment. Mike has had that Bronco for years and, while the vehicle as a whole has been a huge pile o' crap, that engine is an incredible stump puller. Gobs and gobs of power. There are plenty of the typical problems to overcome, including the motor mounts, hood, exhaust, adaptation to the trans, etc. But I've got months to think about it. Giving up the EFI would be tough, but maybe I could adapt a junkyard EFI harness to the engine? Maybe I could grab a 2wd transmission and just throw the carbed 351 into my '86 MJ. That would be a riot. :D

I believe the ford T-case drop is wrong. You could flip a 300 and get the strength you need, but then there is the expense.....

CW

Fords have always been drivers side drop.you know he is running ford axle.Well if he is running Ford axles and they are drivers side drop wouldn't you think the case would match?

As mentioned the 351 is pretty tall and you would be hard pressed to have it not hitting the hood.Add the plenum for fuel injection and it will be even harder.Though if you used a 5.0 HO plenum they are lower then the truck EFI plenum.

As for wiring it for EFI you might have to change the heads as well can't remember.I can't remember but I believe you can use 302 heads on it as well.The wiring itself is easy as hell .

When i get done with my project it will be rocking a 302.

would you be keeping it EFI or carbed? Like someone mentioned, the engine is taller and wider than a 302 (not alot, but enough).

302 heads do interchange but the intakes don't. You wouldn't want to put any stock 302 heads on unless theyre of the gt40 variety anyways.

good luck

matt

http://fordfuelinjection.com/

You might start there is has a lot of information on converting.

Some of the stuff in the store you can find if you make trips to the junk yards and look but it's getting scarcer to find.

You can go either Chevy or Ford as some of the most bullet proof EFI systems came out in the 87- 94 years in both systems, with the best expandability and mods around.

Fords use 2 O2 sensors at times it’s a PITA to mod those EFI systems to run on a non-HO engine.

Chevy used 1 O2 sensor in most of there stuff at that time and might be easier but they use a different firing order, it's nearly the same as the Ford HO systems and you might have to change a cam to get it to work, another pain.

If you can find a Cougar or T-bird in the 87- 91 range it will have the same non-HO firing order, I think the trucks of those same years where Ford's normal firing pattern also.

I've done this on a 289 to convert it to a EFI, it can be a pain but when it runs you get all the advantages of FI, no I don't like carbs. And yes I have spent my time over a flow box balancing carbs, I didn't like it then and no I don't want to do it now or ever again so I just use FI and will be lazy.

Only thing I have left is a trans and mounts, and of course cash, time and energy to finish my build.

I would be interested in any pics when you get to sticking thin in the rig.

later

My wheelers are on a strict no-carb diet. :D

:D

I didn't say it was necessarily going in my wheeler (aka the '88 ). :D

But if it went in my 86, I'd suddenly have a reason to drive the thing more than once a year. :brows: