Rusty's Offroad: anybody outside the US ever bought from them?

OldSch88L

Hey y'all

Rusty's finally got back in stock their leaf springs. I wanted to order, but their website's order page doesn't allow you to choose any other country than the US. So I contacted them, and according to them, the only way they deal with international orders is through bank wire transfer... No credit card, no Paypal, nothing else. I just ain't feelin' it. Can anyone with experience chime in? Wire transfer seems sketchy to me, since I have basically no protection....

I’ve always shipped using a freight forwarder in the US. Just buy whatever you’re needing and have it shipped to your freight forwarders address then they send it to you. From what I’ve seen here though, Rustys has some very mixed reviews to say the least.

There's a place just across the border from me (in North Dakota) that accepts and holds packages for pickup. Depending on what it is it comes off cheaper to drive down and pick it up than to ship it up to Canada. Have to declare and pay duty on it if it's over the daily limit. I don't do it often because it's a couple hour trip to the middle of nowhere just to drive back, but it's an option.

But what I would suggest is seeing if you have a local spring shop. Most can custom make you leaf springs, but may or may not have proper dimensions on file. Purchase price might be slightly higher, but you'll save a ton on shipping.

That's interesting, because they used to take credit cards.  Must have had one too many chargebacks for defective products and said eff it.

I would look at what gogmorgo said regarding the ship centers that will hold the package for you.  You're not far from the NY border and I'm sure there will be places there.  Then you can just order it with your Canadian credit card (they won't know) using their website.

I wouldn't wire them money personally.  I'm sure they would ship you a product, but as to it being the product you wanted and not defective, well, that might be a different matter.  Plus whatever they charge you for shipping will likely be outrageous.

I wouldn’t worry about a wire transfer unless it gets stuck in your country’s customs.  Otherwise, you’ll get your stuff… just questionable quality…

I wouldn’t buy from Rusty’s after all the stuff I’ve seen and dealt with personally.  Some guy on FB just cut their 1/4” wall long arms in half—only measured to .20”…

5 hours ago, SoCalJeepComanche said:

I wouldn’t worry about a wire transfer unless it gets stuck in your country’s customs.  Otherwise, you’ll get your stuff… just questionable quality…

I wouldn’t buy from Rusty’s after all the stuff I’ve seen and dealt with personally.  Some guy on FB just cut their 1/4” wall long arms in half—only measured to .20”…

The wire will go through, Canadian customs doesn't care, but you have no recourse if they ship you junk or the wrong stuff.   If you pay by Visa you can tell them to make it right, and if they don't, tell Visa to do a chargeback.

It's amazing how fast vendors change their tune when they realise the payment has been clawed back.  I got in a fight with a vendor over a defective product, they wanted me to pay to ship it back and charge me a restocking fee, uh nope, I was being nice by trying to work it out, one call to Visa got my money back and they suddenly found it in their heart to send me a prepaid shipping label to return it. 

I’m going to reiterate that there should be a suspension shop that can make new springs for you at least sorta locally. You’re two hours’ drive from a couple major urban centres. I find it hard to believe there isn’t something. 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

what about General Spring? 

Well from what I could see from their specs, they're built based on the stock measurements. From what I understand, people get some lift from them pretty much because they're just replacing saggy old springs. I want true lift leaf springs so I can get rid of the lift shackles

15 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

I’m going to reiterate that there should be a suspension shop that can make new springs for you at least sorta locally. You’re two hours’ drive from a couple major urban centres. I find it hard to believe there isn’t something. 

I've also tried reaching some of them, but I got no replies yet. At this point, I'm wondering if any of them read the emails they get on the adresses they provide on their websites... Looks like some good ol' phone calls are in order!!!

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

how much lift?

I've got the Rubicon Express 4.5" coils that I got for the front, not installed yet. I figured that with my 2.5 engine, the Badadfab behing the stock bumper winch mount and winch I plan to get, that a 4" lift leaf spring out back should work well with were the front will sit...

have you looked for a local spring shop? 

what about building a junkyard bastard pack? 

I looked up the GS website and it says this: 

If you need Comanche front leaf springs or a custom solution for a specialty application, our knowledgeable sales team will help you find precisely what you require

which sounds promising.  maybe they can build what you desire. :L: 

https://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf-springs/jeep/comanche/

21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

have you looked for a local spring shop? 

what about building a junkyard bastard pack? 

I looked up the GS website and it says this: 

which sounds promising.  maybe they can build what you desire. :L: 

https://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf-springs/jeep/comanche/

Good catch Pete! I've been many times on GS' website and never saw that part! I just sent them an email; we'll see what they have to say...

General Spring 97-555 is the standard load 1280# spring, 97-571 is the ton/ heavy duty 1700# spring. $149.99/ $199.99 each, respectively. Interestingly, Dorman part numbers are exactly the same. General charges quite a bit for shipping, but the Dorman re-branded units sold on Amazon mostly ship free. For ride quality I'm eventually going with the standard duty springs with a Rocky Road SOA 6" rear lift. About $635 altogether, with new springs and the shipping on the Rocky Road SOA kit. With the $500 Rusty's 4.5" springs you're still SUA and putting those springs SOA would give 8-9" lift (too much in my book), quality concerns aside.

Standard duty $136

Heavy Duty $254

1 hour ago, Gojira94 said:

General Spring 97-555 is the standard load 1280# spring, 97-571 is the ton/ heavy duty 1700# spring. $149.99/ $199.99 each, respectively. Interestingly, Dorman part numbers are exactly the same. General charges quite a bit for shipping, but the Dorman re-branded units sold on Amazon mostly ship free. For ride quality I'm eventually going with the standard duty springs with a Rocky Road SOA 6" rear lift. About $635 altogether, with new springs and the shipping on the Rocky Road SOA kit. With the $500 Rusty's 4.5" springs you're still SUA and putting those springs SOA would give 8-9" lift (too much in my book), quality concerns aside.

Standard duty $136

Heavy Duty $254

Unfortunately Amazon.ca, which is the site OP needs to order from for free shipping, doesn't have them.  Summit Racing might be worth checking, they ship free to Canada over a certain dollar amount. 

I'd agree with your thinking though, he's probably better off just going SOA with quality stock replacement springs versus gambling on lift springs.  It's the route I will be going with my current build.  I did like the idea of using GM C-truck springs SOA to get about 4" of lift, but it's not been done (that I know of) and is quite a bit of money for me to gamble with given the shipping costs.  Plus it turns out I probably need 6"+ of lift anyway.

If my main leafs were in good shape, I'd keep them and throw some flatter junkyard leafpacks underneath and go SOA.  full packs too (with the eyes cut off) as I'm a big proponent of fully supporting that main leaf.  :L: 

Well, I already bought my rear adjustable shocks last Black Friday, and they're extended shocks that I measured to work with 4 to 4.5 inch lift leafs with stock mounting locations. Going SOA would mean that they'd be too long unless I build some custom mounts, which I don't have access to a garage or a place to use my welder. However, I did find this nice spreadsheet with all makes and models' leaf spring dimensions, and funny enough, my '98 Ranger rear springs are pretty much the same lenght but with less arch. So this summer, for sh*ts and giggles, I try mocking up my MJ with my Ranger's springs and putting them over the axle to see how much lifts that nets...